Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago

One thing that has always bothered me about chooseyourownadventure stories is I am limited to my own ideas for choices.  There is no way to know that my reader wanted to jump out the window instead of slaying a dragon or have a psychotic break instead of having a nice chat with his neighbor.  As you can tell, I have never published a (good) CYOA for this reason.  That is why I am here today: to appeal to you, my readers and maybe even not my readers, for the first choices of a journey; albeit it is a short one.

Here is the set up:  You are a 98-year-old man who has been working at a J-mart for the past six decades before being thrown into a nursing home by his two ungrateful children.  Divorced by 36 and never remarried John (you) is abrasive and gruff.  As he ambles on with only one hour left in his (meaningless?) life what will he do next?

Opening:  "Hi John," Martha says to you once again.  

You stopped responding after the third time she perked up and greeted you. You look around the hallway filled with other disgruntled old folks and Swathmore Health Care staff, most of whom are feigning smiles, but some of which have forgotten how happy they were supposed to be.  The entire room smells like death, it figures because most of the people in the center have died long ago.  You walk up to the front desk and are greeted by another cheesy smile.

"Dorothy, what a coincidence to see you here," you say with a fake smile of your own.

"I could say the same for you," the woman behind the counter says, not even making eye contact.

For the first time in your long life, the neurons in your brain fire an interesting command.  So interesting, in fact, you cannot help but act on it. 

----------------

No response is a stupid response (or maybe it is). I don't care; I will make all responses into options for the one hour of life this poor man has left to live. Will he die a nobody, a nationally recognized hero, a nationally recognized villain, or a mediocre J-Mart clerk?

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago
Heading to bed now so I can't get on board with this, but just a quick note on being limited to your own choices? That's a good thing because most of your readers will be idiots and you shouldn't give a shit about what they want. They're your characters and you're telling your stories in your world. (Unless you are in fact, also an idiot and your reader is me and I'm face palming at the dumb inconsistent shit going on, but that's for another topic...)

Also, this may be a better fit for the Creative Corner?

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago

Well, compared to the short, confusing, and inconsequential stories that have recently flooded this site - I'm not that bad.  But maybe I'm a complete moron, too narrow to see his own stupidity.  Also, luckily I believe I have found a semi-intelligent group of people on this site (maybe - this was partially a test for that too), so I believe in your choices.

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago
I'm 98? I want to take a nap. Or maybe I don't want to, but I'm going to. :)

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago
But I mean he's got an hour left to live. Never a better time to mark that sexual assault charge off the bucket list.

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago
I was thinking maybe he could try out a murder, but who knows, maybe he could combine the two there.

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago
Serious answer, check yourself out and go have a nice day at the park. I'm not seeing a lot of adventuring potential in an old folks home.

Well...I hope fast travel is an option. An hour isn't very long at all.

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago
Yeah, sorry I'm not more helpful, but I am having trouble seeing a lot of options here.

If the character is 98, they really won't be in a position to do anything that requires any serious physical effort, so that really limits things a great deal when it comes to choices.

Breaking Restrictions

6 years ago

Wait, he's 98 years old and they're still letting him work at J-Mart?

An hour isn't nearly enough time to do much. I doubt if he's even going to get to work on time.

I guess he could punch Dorothy in the face and go on a molesting rampage in his nursing home before dying, voiding his bowels and descending to hell.