Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

As a more or less new writer, (I started seriously writing less than two years ago) I've become fairly curious about how I compare to others my age. In terms of writing, of course. Thus, I took creative writing classes at my school, and I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I outclass everyone I know. I'm not really certain if that means that I'm above average for my age, or that I simply don't associate with the good writers of my school. So I came here with a few questions...

Naturally you don't have to post your age, but it would certainly help me ascertain the information I seek, so how old are you? (You could also just be super generic and say "in my twenties" or something similar)

How good of a writer are you when compared to others your age? 

Generally, how much do you think age plays a role in writing? 

As for me, I'm sixteen, and like I said before, I don't know very many writers my age that are as good as me. To be fair, I'm not sure how much age plays a role in writing (aside from the obvious: experience) , but there are many authors that are old and successful. In contrast, there aren't very many authors that are young and successful, so I can only assume that age plays a large role. (Only young successful author I can think of off the top of my head is Christopher Paolini)

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

For some reason I thought you were in your late teens early 20s

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm not that surprised to be honest. I don't talk like someone my age. Well, at least over writing/text, and I much prefer it this way too. Being older almost always automatically garners a little more respect.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm a math major (though only for the next few months) that did better than my collegiate sophomore english class and basically ended up tutoring a few of the students in there on how to write a perfect literary paper.

I've seen some 12 year olds that can write pretty well - vocabulary is where the main deficiency is when the person is younger. As people approach 25 I'd say their vocabulary tends to plateau and it becomes more about style of writing, subject matter, and coherence.

As for successful authors; writing, like any art form, is a career based on popularity. If you never get popular then you never get successful. Which gives reason as to why any sort of artistic profession is generally looked down upon and anyone getting a degree in any sort of liberal art these days should probably just quit now and work at chain restaurants for the rest of their life. I digress. The popularity of a writer depends on creating a large body of work both good and bad and if it's all good they'll have a better chance at becoming popular but it takes a long time to make good shit so by the time anyone has done anything worthwhile they're usually pretty old.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

heya. im thirteen, turning fourteen. the storygames you see written in my profile were probably thrown together a year or two ago. my writing has certainly improved since then. compared to others my age, im far above the rest. i score around senior year in high school or around college for my reading and writing level. after all, i did read to kill a mockingbird in fourth grade. it was good read. i dont think age plays a big role in writing capability; it depends if someone puts in the effort into improving or trying.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Turning 17 this Friday.

But been going by that age for six two months.

I'm the one of the few writers at my high school. We started a creative writing club with only a turnout of three members. Including me and the President.

That was a really depressing day.

I'm not self righteous about my writing compared to my peers and think that mine is better. I've figured out that there's a lot of good writers around me. It's just that a lot of people are scared to share their work, either because it's some fan fiction type shit or it's 50 shades of Milf level of romance. Still, whenever I ask someone what they're writing in their journal during class, and they say it's a story, I'm really surprised to see it's a little common. It's also common for them to be defensive when asked for a read.

My interest in writing started from reading in elementary. Mostly because we didn't have I-phones in 2007 and 08 and I hadn't discovered gaming yet. I just started reading everything in my library around 4th grade.Since I'm Hispanic my teachers always ended up getting surprised that I had a interest in reading and writing, and paid a little more attention to me. Which now that a I think about it was fucking hilarious, sad, and heartwarming.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

The birthdate I put on the site here is 1/1/1900
Therefor I believe that would mean I'm 117 years and 10 months old. 

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm 16, and I think it depends on natural talent and growth. If you take criticism well and work on what you know you are doing wrong, I'm certain that you can expand your writing abilities.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I am Tim.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I dunnomaybe

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Thus far I'm as old as any two of you young whippersnappers put together. ;P

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

... 136...?

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago
36 would actually be a reasonable guess. I'd guess 47 because morgan seems middle aged at least.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

...I guess I should have added 'out of those of you not indulging in blatant falsehoods.' ;P

36 would have been a very reasonable guess... I just turned 37 last month. 

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

My second guess was 19 + Tim.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm 13, and probably the best writer in my school. At least, when I try (Which is not often), and when I'm not lazy (Also not often). But, I live in a state and school district where education is practically pooped upon.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

18, don't know how to compare to other 18 year olds, but I feel it's favorably.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago
@MinnieKing is 18 so I'd say you compare pretty well.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm calling bullshit, there's no way that's true. 

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Yeah, I had guessed he was older than you as well.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Oooooh.

I get it now.

You were just angsty the entire time.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Teen Angst implies depression, which would be inaccurate. I've always thought General human shittiness is far more accurate.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago
Jesus, I knew this site skewed young, but you're all babies. I see I need to be looking down on most of you and dismissing your opinions even harder.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Noooooo. :(

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

Get back to feeling your ovaries shrinking as you die alone.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm 18 and am very new to the writing scene. I like to think that experience is what makes a writer a good writer, but I'm still better than 12 year olds on Wattpad who have been writing for years, so who knows.

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm 23. I remember the good old days, when I was one of the younger members, now I'm just starting to feel old. 

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago

I'm 19. Gonna be 20 in les than two months. 

Not sure if it counts though since I haven't been on this site in 2 years. Hey guys. I'm back for the moment

Age of My Cystian Peers

6 years ago
In the second half of the my twenties, looks like I'm an outlier, everyone else is either really young or Endmaster('s age)