Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

IFComp

6 years ago

Link!

Anyone else playing/judging this year? There's a ton of entries, including a lot of choice-based stuff. Personally, my strategy is to play a bunch of the shorter pieces first, so that I can be sure I'll be able to score five entries in time, and then start in on the longer pieces.

IFComp

6 years ago
I used to be really into the IFComp and SpringThing and voted every year, then shitty Twine games contaminated everything and they changed the rules to allows authors to make any changes they wanted during judging and I lost a lot of interest.

Then at some point in there they became SJWs, drove out some good people and literally handed over rulership of their forum to COG. I love IF but it's been a dying medium for awhile now and the community always seems to be attempting to hasten the process. See: prehistoric fucking newsgroups.

IFComp

6 years ago

30+ parser games in the comp this year... you don't need to go near that icky Twine stuff if you don't want to. :P

Not sure why allowed changes matter, from a judge's perspective... beyond maybe some bug fixes happening, hopefully before you play the game, which seems like a good thing? You're not obligated to replay if it's after, either.

I assume by 'they' you mean intfiction.org? I just tried to figure out what went down, buuut it's kinda hard to form an opinion on the mod team's actions when those actions include deleting the posts they found objectionable. :P

I'm not convinced that IF is dying. If anything, I think we're still in the gestational period.

IFComp

6 years ago
I mean I'm not arguing against people checking out the games (or wait till after judging if they specifically want to play good ones), it's just that I am personally, extremely salty still about a lot of what's happened to the community and so I won't be bothering myself. :P

Even fully recognizing that many of them were elitist assholes all along, IF was a major part of my life for like seven years and I now wouldn't want to hang out at intfiction.org any more than I would want to hang out at COG. (Or any other writing site with rules like 'if an author asks you to stop criticizing their game, you must comply', and 'If you make other people uncomfortable, especially by mistake, you should FEEL BAD and beg forgiveness', for that matter...)

Obviously I like CYOAs, or I wouldn't be here, but it's a completely different experience from IF, and when I want an apple I resent being told to eat an entire orchard's worth of oranges because they're the exact same thing and P.S. many of them are rotten but it's offensive to say so. CYOAs were the IF community's Warrior Cats and they just immediately surrendered to the mewling horde instead of crushing them firmly beneath their booted heels and frankly, they disgust me. Almost as much as RG.

IFComp

6 years ago

Does that make CYS the last bastion of hope?

IFComp

6 years ago
SpringThing sounds like it could be fun, but I don't have time to do fun things anymore ^_^