Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Changing Perspectives

6 years ago

I was reluctant to do this but in a current story I'm writing, I briefly changed perspectives to a different character so you can get the full effect of how the character is feeling. What do you think of this?

Changing Perspectives

6 years ago
This should be moved to the Writing Workshop, but I'd recommend pretty strongly against doing this. Or at least if you're going to do it, don't just abruptly slip it in and then switch back like it's nothing. Most would read that as being a mistake similar to tense switching. Normal stories might have something like that happen in its own segment or chapter, so you'd want to separate it somehow, maybe by giving it it's own page.

Changing Perspectives

6 years ago

Whilst it's something to generally be avoided, I feel this could be done in an alright manner, especially since you understand that it's an inherently negative thing. Whatever, give it a try and maybe check in at the Writer's Workshop to see if it's OK. If not and you have to scrap it, well, it was an interesting exercise to try.

Changing Perspectives

6 years ago
At the very least separate the perspective switch with some rows of asterisks.

Like this.

Changing Perspectives

6 years ago

Just use separate pages, really, I feel that'd be less weird.

Changing Perspectives

6 years ago

It's definitely going to be separate pages.

Changing Perspectives

6 years ago
It's fine, but if the only reason you're switching is for an emotional effect it seems more like you're using it as a crutch.