Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Is there a limit on the number of links that should appear on a page?  I wouldn't want to use too many and then cause someone to have trouble navigating.  Would more than ten be a problem, for example?

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

As far as I know there isn't a limit. I think Wibbon's recent story had a passage that had more than 10 links.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

I know you can create plenty.  I was just wondering if it would irritate people having too many on one page, or if it would cause navigation issues with certain devices.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
Just make sure you can handle the outcome of all those. (In the case of a decision point, although my first guess is you're setting stats or a class or something.

...or, having introduced yourself as an IF guy, is this a furniture examining simulation you're working on?

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

The idea would be that you go about collecting treasures.  I thought it might be good to give the players a chance to review what they've found so far.  A link would contain the item's name if it has been found, and a ??? if it hasn't.  Clicking on a found treasure gives a short blurb about it, clicking the ??? tells you that this unknown treasure hasn't been found yet..  I would use variables to determine whether the treasure name or the question marks appear in each link.

Since I'm planning on having 17 treasures, that would make 18 links.  I don't want to receive angry comments that that's too many.

If you feel I'm going about this in a needlessly complicated manner, I'd gladly learn a better way to allow players to review found treasures.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
Well, there's items, but I think I mentioned before that some people aren't a fan of them. Personally I find them a pain on a mobile, and I think 18 would be a nightmare.

Another option might be to create just one backpack item, or just a normal link on every page to a one that uses on page scripting to list treasures you've found and their descriptions. It's possible to set up a Go Back button that always remembers where you were at previously.

e: Here's a good article on that.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Someone else suggested that page as well.  Perhaps I'll need to play with it a bit to get the hang of it.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Well I spent a good 10 or so minutes just repeatedly adding links to the same page, and so far I've put on sixty without any kind of message telling me it's too many. I'll just assume that there's an infinite amount of available spaces for links on a storygame, so have fun with that.

Example

If you're looking at it from a practical point-of-view, I wouldn't go past 10 links on a single page, and I definitely wouldn't have more than just a few pages with that number of links. In reality, few people will go through every link in a storygame, or every path, and if those are for background information, then that number drops even lower. A lot of readers tend to skip optional background pages, so it would be a lot of work wasted on 90% of the community. 

Good luck on your storygames, and you can always PM me for help and such.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

I experimented a little myself, although not to the point you did.  I realized I could add a whole slew of links if I wished.  My concern is not to receive angry comments from people who found that too hard to navigate.

And thank you for the offer of help!

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Not necessarily, although I'd wonder why you'd need ten appearing on the same page, because that seems like too many choices.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

I wouldn't ordinarily give a player that many choices.  As I explained in answer to another comment, I'd like to give the players a chance to review the various treasures they've found, and there will be 17 of them.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Seems fine, then, go ahead.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
Have you seen this page about a codex that might work in this example?

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

I can see what they're doing in a general sense there although I really haven't looking into scripting yet.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
I'm going to guess 254 or so would be the hard limit, but I'm not taking that time to figure it out.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Out of interest, how did you get that number?

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
Two to the eighth power. Why eighth power? Because eight is two to the third power.

It's really just usual limitations on numbers in this type of program development.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Well, I certainly won't need that many, so no worries!

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
There is no hard limit for max number of links on a page. I use around 60 or so in the last parts of my Delve game, each link representing an Item you can purchase in 'the shop'.

The only limitation I have yet encountered was a script being so long that it timed out before it could be posted, so I had to break it into two parts. The script in question was about 250 pages long in MS Word by the way, so you are probably not going to reach any limits soon.

Good luck.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
/ The script in question was about 250 pages long in MS Word by the way, /

Why would you do this to yourself o.O

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
I'm sick, I know, but it's mostly just a lot of copy/pasting haha!

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago
Check it out Berka. She thinks 250 pages is a lot of script.

Pfft.

Maximum Links on a Page?

6 years ago

Good to know that you can have so many.  A little experimenting convinced me I could create numerous links, but I just wasn't sure if people would complain that it was too many.