Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Was there more shit posting on this site then now?

6 years ago

Was there ever a time where this website had up to 500+ online? Or was it always 60 - 90 people online daily?

I've joined 2 mouths ago and I always have that question was there more activity in this website.

6 years ago

Heard it was super active when the Warrior cat regime forced the CYS garrison into engaging them in guerilla warfare on the defensive. 

6 years ago
I feel bad for new people, everyone deserves the experience of skinning at least one eight year old childWarrior Cat and displaying their head above the fireplace.

6 years ago

That's a disturbing mental image; my son IS an 8 year old child.  I don't know what Warrior Cats are though.

6 years ago
Count yourself lucky.

6 years ago

The books themselves aren't bad. It's all the shitty fanfictions.

Seriously. People need to *stop* with the whole "sexualizing animals". 

If it's a furry that at least has a human-ish form, okay whatever.

If it's a straight up animal who's only human quality is speaking like one, that's straight up disturbing. Besides the "my sexy warrior cats" fanfictions, oh my god. The amount of low quality crap was pretty astonishing. Who needs grammar and spelling and any sort of plot when you have warriorcats :^)

6 years ago

Indeed.  Sometimes fan bases can completely ruin a half decent franchise with their musings.  Not that I think people should be censored exactly, but there is wisdom and prudence in only sharing certain things with certain crowds rather than plastering it everywhere.  Government censorship = evil.  Self-censorship shows some level of wisdom or maturity or even just an acknowledgement of reality.

6 years ago

Oh you stupid fool, you should've known the pro-bestiality argument is one of my favorite. Why is that bad? Fuck it, in your example, at least the creature's are sentient, so there's nothing immoral or disturbing about it in the slightest.

6 years ago

I'm guessing it's not related to Thunder Cats then.  And if it's young reader stuff, well, I'll probably have to deal with it eventually if my son hears about it.  Anyone care to tell me the 'symptoms' of liking these things so I can rush my son to emergency if he starts showing signs of infection? ;)

6 years ago

Symptoms include wanting to fuck cats and getting a warrior related name like "Snowpaw" or "Snowclaw" or "Snowfur" etc. :(

Make sure he gets the help he needs and ween him slowly from any WC related stuff :( he'll eventually get better. Eventually.

6 years ago

He's 8 and somewhat developmentally delayed.  As far as I can't tell he doesn't want to, ahem, do anything sexual with animals or people either.  So either these books are for MUCH older children, or the people who read them when they were younger couldn't let go of them and had to make them more adult for their own purposes.  Which...people seem to have a tendency to do.

6 years ago

Also includes: a unwillingness to learn/listen to people (WC kids kept republishing the same story without changes, kept asking people not to criticize their steaming pile of shit and disregarding all advice, and just showed a tendency not to improve). To the point where everyone got sick of them and they got banned. Other symptoms include; a lowered intelligence (how the heck do you misspell the same word 5 times in one storygame.), the maturity of a child (which to be fair, they were children. But some claimed to be older...), and just a horrible temper (do you know how many people would scream at all the well meaning commenters :( )

This sickness does not apply to all. There were some geniunely good ones.

And they are children's books x'D

6 years ago

I'll keep that in mind.  Though, with the way things are going, I don't know if he'll ever show an interest in writing.  He's just started liking reading.  He's more into video games and TV than books, though he is interested in a comic series that doesn't seem too awful.  I actually kind of like it.

6 years ago

Oooh which comic series? :O

And speaking of comics, Erma is a really cute comic. 

6 years ago

I think it's just called Bone.  It's kind of a high fantasy type thing.  I'd never heard of it before my son brought some home from the school library.  But I'm a shut in, so I can't actually tell how popular/wide-spread this comic is.

6 years ago

I've heard of it, never read it though. It's an older comic from the 90s-early 2000s

6 years ago

Bone is in every library I've been in x'D

6 years ago

oh bone is a excellent comic, it's main characters are simlar to that of ed ed and eddy. though its balancing of humor and seriousness is a bit wonky.

Think that was the first actual comic book series I was into back in elementary, other than toad and the frog.

6 years ago

I've read the first book, and I quite enjoyed it.  I wish I'd found something like that when I was a kid (way back in the 80's).  It's a lot nicer to read than the really kidsy stuff.

6 years ago
Oh I have that one on my Kindle, just never got around to reading it. Tons of people were recommending it a couple years ago though.

6 years ago

Bone is a really good comic which I used to read. Your son will love it! 

6 years ago
Here's a comic series that owns.

I love Mega Man so I bought the first volume purely for nostalgia purposes and then it was really damn good so I binged through the rest. The series is ended now but I've gotten a couple of ten year old into it in the past, it's just a really fun and well written series that shows it's possible to write nice things for kids without dumbing them down.

The Adventure Time comics by Ryan North are pretty approachable even if you've never seen the cartoon, and refreshingly inventive and great right up until....I think book 7 or so when the author starts shouting like 'Hey! These ten year old girls! THEY ARE LESBIANS!' at the top of his lungs. Writing is still decent but a certain amount of eye rolling required after that and it's a YMMV thing whether it becomes too annoying or not.

6 years ago

Lumberjanes, Nimona, The Sound of Your Heart (this one I recommend so hard. It's *hilarious*), unOrdinary, Melvina's Therapy, Noblesse, Hive, Dr. Frost, and S.I.D are my current comic/manhwa favorites :)

6 years ago
The actual books are just pretty harmless generic stories by a bunch of authors turning out hack work under a pseudonym for a quick paycheck. It's just cat clans having battles in the woods or whatever. Pretty typically though the Internet got ahold of it and made it weird.

By the time your son is old enough to get on the Internet and roleplay under the name Shadowpaw or whatever I'm sure there'll be some entirely new stupid thing tweens are obsessing over.

6 years ago

I suppose it's in our nature to do these things to varying degrees.  I guess the worry should come when someone doesn't grow out of it, or when it hinders their ability to function in society.

In all honesty, I'm terrified of him reaching his tweens and teens.  TERRIFIED!

6 years ago

It was FUBAR, man.

We shot kids, stabbed them with bayonets... Chopped up 8 year olds with shovels... Stacked those Warrior Cat fucks 5 feet high, use em for sandbags...

6 years ago

Chopped up 8 year olds with shovels

You were supposed to use the axes that were provided, you silly motherfucker.

6 years ago

I also didn't notice the axes :(

Do you know how hard it is to hack someone apart with a spoon?

It should have been more clearly marked!

6 years ago

Hey it's not my fault the US army soldiers stationed in Korea during the Korean war used shovels. I had to keep to the reference.

6 years ago

Don't forget the Soviets and Stalin/Leningrad!

6 years ago

Oh hell yeah! Those were the days, in which roleplays still existed and the forums were a violent nuclear exclusion zone in which infidels were brutally eviscerated and shot to pieces.

I joined right in the middle of that.

6 years ago

We've had periods when there were way fewer than 60-90 people online on a daily basis. Though there also have been a few periods when we had huge spikes in traffic, usually when someone links to CYS on sites like Reddit and the like. 

6 years ago

I wish it'll stay forever. I'd like to see 1000+ people online, it'd make this website more interesting. I also think the time I was here so far is on how under-rated this website it.

6 years ago

I don't think that would necessarily be a good idea. The forums are for example not always the most active place, but people generally know one another. A rapid increase of members would turn them into just another anonymous messaging board. Furthermore, with the way the 'new storygames' category is set up (especially if it's glitching out when a story doesn't get enough ratings) a lot of stories would be buried before people would get a proper chance to read them. 

6 years ago

Who the fuck is this guy?

6 years ago

A better person than you in every conceivable way? 

Not sure if you were referring to the OP or to me, but I guess the above works for both. 

6 years ago

Asking who you were was a joke, seeing as you just said people generally know each other, but that flew over your head apparently, so what a shame.

6 years ago

All the people who post are generally known. All the ones who don't aren't. X'D

The others - who the fuck is deadshot117? X'D

6 years ago

That may be true but with more players then the more answers from questions and more ratings, and more help in the forums. 

6 years ago

With more players, questions from forums would receive many replies, yes, but the quality of the replies are likely to be bad, which would just be annoying. More help may not necessarily be good help.

6 years ago

It goes either way, though a lot of people would be nice for activity it would also bring more types of opinions.

Think that was sorta the downfall of COG, they tried to pander to everyone in a 'civilized' matter when they started getting really popular when it all did was cause censorship.

Wattpad too, but that's actually a little to much freedom.

6 years ago

I was just checking the other writing place where we got a few people visiting from, Figment.

Apparently Figment is shutting down by the end of the month and being replaced by something called Underlined.

http://figment.com/topics/675408-Figment-is-Getting-Underlined-

Predictably some of the Figgits are getting triggered about it.

6 years ago
You will have until December 31, 2017, to back up all of your stories and content. Your stories will not automatically transfer to Underlined, so you must save all the work you would like to keep.

I envision many many tears when the New Years rolls around.

6 years ago

Hey guys, heard about the bad news of your site shutting down. That sucks and I just wanted to let you know, you can always find a welcoming writing community at chooseyourstory.com

We’re very welcoming to new people who love to write (and read) and I’m sure if you give us a chance, you will find many people that will accept you into our family.

Hope to see you there!

6 years ago

I would imagine a few of their mods would get salty over that bamboozle swiping.

6 years ago

Do it

6 years ago
Seconding this, assuming End has time to burn the chaff after we've finished with the traditional threshing process.

6 years ago

I mean, they are writers. Though, from my experience there they like shorter stuff(?) and will only give reviews for reviews :(

6 years ago

Lol.

Most of them are whiners that would probably fit better at CoG. I mean if some of them do wander over after their home planet gets destroyed, they probably won’t stick around too long.

The only one that stuck around for any given length of time was KitKatKaty (KKK) and she mainly left because of Mizal and Steve and then bitched to JJJ that he didn't do anything about them before blocking her PMs so he couldn't respond back to her.

6 years ago
I wrote such a kind and thoughtful review of her short story too, which she completely ignored.

I guess we were all pretty beneath her though, I mean how many of us can claim to have published three novels on Wattpad.

6 years ago

Well that's something to look forward too in 2018, a mass exodus of figgits that might come and join our superior cult

6 years ago
I think the site's a pretty good size right now. There's new posts to read every day but never too much to keep up with, we all know each other, and too many more people would mean we need more admins, etc.

There is a definite lack of people reviewing things, but that's less about the number of members and more about how lazy we all are.

6 years ago

Should I have stayed gone then? ;)

6 years ago

Very true! For example, I am approaching my second anniversary here and only have 200 or so points!

6 years ago
Massive WH40k story posted by Steve a couple days ago and I'm still waiting for someone to give enough of a shit to review it.

It's Steve so lol I enjoy that he's being ignored but the story itself seems reasonably worthy of notice, and there's just that weird trend we have of dogpiling the tiny stories for quick points while completely ignoring the ones that take effort that we allegedly want to see more of.

Unfortunately I'm super busy and also don't care about 40K much so it will just have to languish there along with the rest of the stuff I haven't gotten around to writing reviews for yet.

6 years ago

Never got into WH of any kind, so I'm afraid it isn't high priority for me.  But I am going through some stories I find...difficult...at the moment, even if they're not necessarily long.

6 years ago
You must elaborate on '....difficult....' because that can mean so, so many things.

Since it looks like you're going through the unranked ones on the front page however, it's worth mentioning that many of the site's older stories are terrible, and also have inflated ratings because standards were lower then. Reading the first two pages, realizing that it sucks, and then rapidly clicking through the rest to give it a 1 are perfectly valid and recommended pro tier tactics.

6 years ago

Yes, I'm going through the ones that need more ratings on the right hand of the home page.  But I'm trying to be fair according to my view on what a story should be.  Since I'm not a publisher, I'm not looking at it from that angle.  I guess it will skew the results, but there are probably some people that are tougher than they should be, so hopefully it will round itself out.

6 years ago

I read through it a bit. It was okay. I'm not really into fanfiction though, but I'd rather see 40K fanfic than Warriorcats.

6 years ago
I would probably read some kind of crossover tbh.

6 years ago

Now where did that document from three years ago go...

6 years ago

Which one? Mission Report: December 16th, 1991?

6 years ago

Bravo Tim.. That reference was well placed. 

6 years ago

I try far, far too hard for this site for as little as I get back.

6 years ago

I thought it was pretty good.

6 years ago

I haven't read any warrior car books because I thought they were complicated at the time. I also thought it was borring as well. (This was when I was 12) I'm not really planning to read any of them as of now. or sooner. 

WARRIOR CARS

6 years ago
What's a warrior car?

6 years ago

What those younger kiddos read. Those warrior cars, or warrior carts.

6 years ago
Oh, you mean the battle pushies.

6 years ago

Pussies.

6 years ago
The warrior pushcarts

6 years ago

Warrior bats, I think that is the name.

6 years ago
I assume those would be the Ebola carrying variety.

6 years ago

Nonono, you guys are getting mixed up. It's Warrior Rats, carrying the Black Death.

6 years ago

Isn't Warrior Rats just Redwall?

6 years ago

What's next, some shitty book that no one likes about warrior bunnies? Ha, hilarious.

6 years ago
Watership Down is beautiful and good, motherfucker.

6 years ago

If that were the case, I wouldn't mind checking it out.  I however prefer Mouse Guard.  The illustrations and lore are well done.

6 years ago
I'm still going to write a Redwall CYOA one of these days. The theme of it will be 'sometimes, racism is good and correct' because that's KIND of unavoidable with the source material.

6 years ago

I was thinking more Skaven?

6 years ago

I don't know man...Bats seem to be the more correct then rats. Warrior Bats carry some of those rabies.

6 years ago
They actually do carry Ebola, I wasn't joking about that. Naturally higher body temps than humans, which is why us getting fevers doesnt even slow it down.

6 years ago

Will bats do carry variety of diseases that are fatal to humans. I wouldn't be surprise if they do carry Ebola.

(I don't think I even dis-agreed with you in the first place.)

6 years ago

All I know is that I will try my damnedest to never again piss off a Thundercats fan.  

6 years ago

6 years ago

I got out just before the WC apocalypse. But I remember the forum getting fairly up there right before that. I think I came back in the middle of it and I just wanted to shoot myself trying to get through all the fighting going on and just gave up. Compared to then the forums are much more mellow. However there are still people we need to hang from the rafters here.....

6 years ago

Sometimes I wonder why there are so many guests compared to members.  76 vs 21 seems a bit weighty.  Most places usually have a handful of guests that are just deciding if they want to make an account or not.  Usually if they don't make an account, they don't stick around for long and rarely come back after looking in a few times.  Seems weird to me.

6 years ago

You don't need an account to rate or comment on stories, so most probably just come to read and don't look at the rest of the site.

6 years ago

Ahhhhh.  So that's why some of the people who comment don't have a link to their name?  I guess if you comment as a guest it lets you put in a name that isn't bound to an account?  I didn't realize that. :)

6 years ago
In my headcanon, all 74 guests were previously banned and yet just can't. let. go.

6 years ago
Their ratings do essentially nothing though, which is why it's funny when they're sit there logged out and spamming 1s or 8s for an hour not seeming to realize this.

6 years ago

Since you can do most things as a guest on this site there isn't really a reason to make an account. Unless, you want to speak in the forums. I know I lurked for a month before I made an account.

6 years ago

I actually find it to be creepy, there being at least two or three hardcore guests who have been lurking the forums for years but never get around to making a account 

6 years ago

made an acc after lurking here for 3 yrs just to reply on this comment ayylmao.

6 years ago
judging by that post quality I think you should have stayed a guest

6 years ago
He's been here long enough to know you're not one of the members anyone takes seriously, thank goodness!

6 years ago

Just out of curiosity, who are the people you think should be taken seriously? ;)

6 years ago
members and % of time they should be taken seriously:

3J - 99%
alexp - 94%
Killa - 92%
Nate - 90%
march - 90%
BZ - 84%
End - 80%
Romulus - 80%
Literally any stranger who wanders onto the site - 15%
Thara - 3%
Mizal - 3%
Steve - 2%
Ford - 1%

6 years ago

I should be at the top 100%.

6 years ago
I don't even know who you are but you made some crap threads and your profile pic is some weird looking potato so I'd put you around 0%

6 years ago

In that case can I receive my 0.001% rightful acknowledgment please ?

6 years ago
you were at 15% until you made that post and now you've dropped to .001% so yeah have it.

6 years ago

Thank you, I like the 0.001% better tho. 

6 years ago

Perhaps, make that 0% to 0.00001%?

6 years ago

I like this guy's name, and the fact that he realizes that Ford is just a joke about autists that's become self-aware and is OK with fulfilling it's natural role.

6 years ago

Tim - -3%

6 years ago

I'm guessing that I would be a 2%. 

6 years ago
idk who you are so sure I guess thats fine

6 years ago

Sounds good to me. Carry on! 

6 years ago

So, how long before we're not a "stranger who wanders onto the site"?

I'm trying to figure out where I might fit in. ;)

6 years ago
When you do something unique such that I can recall your username from memory.

My memory is shit so people who don't do interesting things will just have to be active and around for a year or two before I recognize them around the place. People often join and leave before staying even one year let alone two. If you stay for two years you've beaten like 80% of the people who make accounts. Three years and I'll probably recognize who you are by then (presuming you're a very boring person that does nothing noteworthy on the site for three years).

At the moment I have no idea who you are so welcome to the site and try not to get banned.

6 years ago

I don't have the best memory either.  Do you find that avatars help your memory much?

6 years ago
only if they never change. So no, not really. Your avatar confuses me because I keep thinking you're MHD. Shorter and less unique usernames are more memorable than long complicated ones.

Melissa is a great example of someone who did nothing unique or interesting for a long time but because they were around the forums for a while I knew of them; and until someone started calling him melissa I could never have remembered the username. I then remembered him as melissa and that was the interesting/uniqueness that he held in my mind for later recollection. Can't remember if he turned out to be a pedo or a furry or both before he left as I was barely active at that time.

I'm sure someone will remind me in this thread

6 years ago

Well, I changed my avatar because my eye looked angry, and I'm really not very angry on the forums, so it seemed out of place.  I wouldn't put my whole face up because it's scary.  If I put a younger pic of myself up, I would feel like I was being dishonest.  So, I just grabbed this avatar I made a while ago because it was handy and not a picture of a specific character or real person.

Speaking of avatars, what is yours supposed to be the face of?

6 years ago
death

6 years ago

Didn't realize Death was so blue.  Who knew?

6 years ago

Short answer yes with an "if"

Long answer no with a "but"

6 years ago
Yes, if you count spamming and nonsense arguments.

No, but the shitposts back than used to smell a little worse.

Do I get a candy?

Edit:: yay!