Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Hello everybody! SilverSlayer here and, if you noticed, I'm pretty new to chooseyourstory.com. If anyone could give me some starting tips or anything that would be much appreciated. Peace out y'all.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago
Hi, welcome to the site.

My usual advice is to spend some time reading and reviewing a few of the Top Rated storygames before diving into any major projects of your own. It's a good way to get an idea of the quality level readers are looking for and make you aware of some of the advanced editor's possibilities.

There's a lot of good articles in the Help section, you'll want to check out the ones on scripting at least to get a handle on the basics there. (Even if your story's not going to heavily rely on scripting and variables, there's situations where they simplify things and can save you a lot of tedium as well as helping with organization, etc.)

Remember there's no rush to get your first story out, so you want to make sure it's polished and proofread and complete to make a good first impression. Starting with a smaller project for your first is usually a good idea too, CYOAs can get away from you fast if you're new at trying to structure them.

Anyway, have fun and stop by the Writing Workshop if you need any more specific feedback and advice.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

You know, I've realized you often tell people to check the top rated games to see what we're looking for here.  If that was what someone told me the first time around, I probably would have run for the hills.  A lot of the top rated games are hard to aspire to.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago
You'd really assume people would glance at one or two of the storygames on the main storygame page somewhere in the process of figuring out what the site even is, but then you'd assume people would use punctuation in a story too and I've been proven wrong on that one LOTS of times.

'Look around you and see what kind of stories we like' is just one part of my multi-tiered 'don't smash your face against the keyboard and then hit publish three hours after joining' suggestion strategy, and experience has taught that it's a necessary one.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Fair enough.  I just know that trying to live up to that box on the main page for 'top stories' would be futile for a first game. :)  For me at least.  Others are probably better writers.  But I do like to get my punctuation and spelling and grammar to be at least, well, decent.  I mean, I really hate being sloppy.  Even though everyone makes mistakes, you can generally tell the difference between the odd mistake of someone trying their best and the haphazard mistakes of someone who can't be bothered to try.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Hey there, pleasure to meet you. Please get a profile picture so I can remember who you are, and best of luck. The main tip I could give you is to work hard and you'll make something somewhat good.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Happy?

What Up Everybody

6 years ago
Welcome to the site!

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

I have to know: are you a slayer that is also silver, or do you slay things that are silver?

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

I slay things that are silver, lol

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

*hides her jewelry*

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Pity you weren't here when we actually had a drama queen member by the name of Silver around.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

What happened to them?

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

He had some sort of weird cyber "relationship" with another degenerate CYS member which resulted in suicide threats.

I think he left shortly after that.

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Hello and welcome! :D

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Hey there! You should read the featured story-games as they'll give you an idea of how your game should be. If you need any tips, just DM me as I'm always happy to help! 

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Question. Where on earth is the editor? I know that it should be incredibly obvious but I just can't find it!

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

Nvm, found it

What Up Everybody

6 years ago

~>My stuff on the side, right below Forums.

~>create/edit your storygame 

X'D nm guess this isn't needed

What Up Everybody

6 years ago
Good luck