Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

December Contest - Prompt 19 (dragon protagonist)

6 years ago

So apparently I'm supposed to make this thread and update it twice a week with my progress...

Well, now that this thread is made, it is time to start writing a story.

6 years ago
Good luck!

I bring you my very best dragon for inspiration.

You may use her as an avatar if you wish. In fact...I will probably be horribly insulted and angry if you don't.

6 years ago

Recoil looks nice but I think Layem's the nicest from your cave x'D

6 years ago
How long have you been pawing through my lair and should I be alarmed?

I actually couldn't remember which one that was right away, most of the ones toward the back I just bought to flip and lately I've been neglecting them all. Haven't really had time to get my plans for a glorious PC Master Race off the ground.

6 years ago

>~> I was just curious. I've been on FR since 2013 ya know x'D 

It pays well \o/

~>pet sites = artists that can give you art for basically free

~>I have what? 100 something dragons with 3/4 digit IDs, a handful of 5 digit dragons and my starters have 2 digit IDs so I'm worth something. Woot! 

6 years ago
The artists who place NO value on their time whatsoever is the big thing I've recently discovered about the place, yes. I've got a nice sketch of my superhero, whenever I actually manage to finish my superhero story. It cost me gems equivalent to, I think around $3.

I don't play very regularly anymore but I still enjoy watching numbers go up. I could never coli very much before this because of my data limit but at some point here when all the frantic last minute writing is done I'm going to clear a bunch of space and see how much fake pixel money I can rake it over a weekend turning fodder into taco meat for the gods.

6 years ago

thanks but I won't be using that as an avatar.

On a scale of 1-10 how likely are you to try to kill me now?

6 years ago
You should use this image as your avatar:

6 years ago

Update #1

I'm just kind of winging it with the story. The plot may be subject to change as I go on, but I will describe what I currently have in mind.

The player (is obviously) a dragon, and mankind is preparing to launch a massive effort to exterminate dragons. This also happened thousands of years ago, and the dragons were brought to the brink off extinction then. The survivors of those ancient dragons used now-forgotten memory magic techniques to genetically bequeath memories of the last "great hunt" of the dragons into their descendants.

6 years ago
Sounds interesting. Not the typical village burning and hoard-guarding stuff others might have gone with. The memory stuff could be fun to play around with or center a twist around depending on how much time you have to explore it.

6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure I even could write a "typical village burning and hoard-guarding" story, as that sounds to me like it would be boring to write.

6 years ago

Aw, was really hoping for a Jane and the Dragon fanfiction.

6 years ago

Is "kind of winging it" an intentional pun or unintentional?

6 years ago

Well, it was unintentional at first. I realized it was a pun as I was typing it and just let it stay.

6 years ago

Update #2

I'm close to finishing the first draft of one branch. I'm having trouble deciding on how it should end, as I have realized that some of what I've just written is in conflict with some of my original ideas about part of the world of the story.

I'm sure I'll resolve this soon and start working on the other branches.

6 years ago

Update #3

I've made dangerously little progress the past three days. There is not an abundance of time left, so I REALLY NEED TO PICK UP THE PACE.

6 years ago

Update #4

To be honest, I think it is unlikely I will be able to finish the story before the contest is over (without sacrificing quality). I guess that is what I get for entering a contest that was already seven days in.

6 years ago
Just scale back the plot. You have almost two weeks still, that's plenty of time. Literally the only requirement is a dragon protagonist, you could make something that qualifies in a day and still get your points back, plus the bonus.

6 years ago

Yeah... you're right. I can always write something with a larger plot later.

6 years ago

Update #5

I'm going to stop writing about a war of extermination against dragons for now. I'll save that story for some later time.

I'll write a story in the same world I was planning, but set before the events of the war. It will be much easier to write since I won't have to tie everything to a central plot.

6 years ago

Update #6

I wrote some more words.

6 years ago

Update #7

I'm not particularly creative. Writing is hard. My updates are vague.

6 years ago

Late/Final Update

Yeah so I obviously didn't succeed in finishing a story before the deadline, but I don't regret entering the contest, as it has taught me about the writing process.

I wasn't able to make any steady progress with the story; I often felt the need to revise the main plot and story branches. I believe my failure was due to me trying to write whatever came to mind and foolishly assuming it would all fit together in a satisfying way. I will outline the plot before trying to craft the story in any future attempts to write something like this.

6 years ago
Yes, that is a good lesson learned and one that would have saved me a lot of headaches and abandoned stories if I'd picked up on it a lot earlier myself. Good luck on your next attempt!

6 years ago

Writing whatever came to mind and assuming it would all fit together is how I write everything I do.