Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

My First Storygame

6 years ago

I just published my first storygame on this site, The Tower of Rowena.  The object is quite simple.  You play as yourself, as you try to find all 17 treasures hidden within the witch's tower... or as many as you can, at least.

I was learning how to use this site as I was creating the storygame.  As a result, it gets a bit choppy in places, I freely admit.  In addition, the story could be fleshed out a bit more.  However, I felt it best to see if people were receptive to my strange brand of humor first.

I'm willing to hear about the mistakes I made.  I'm also aware there is much more I have to learn about this site.  Any helpful comments you make will be appreciated.

My First Storygame

6 years ago
Can't check it out till I get home but congrats! 6/8 length is pretty impressive for a first game.

Since the objective seems to be collecting the treasures, if this has more focus on gameplay than characters and plot you may want to categorize this as Mystery/Puzzle. That's a category that could use a few more decent games anyhow. (And this thread will probably be moved to the Parlor Room just fyi.)

My First Storygame

6 years ago

I'm not sure that it's really that puzzling of a game, but if the admins feel it better belongs in the Mystery/Puzzle category, I would be happy to have them move it.  I have no idea how to move the game myself, now that it's published.

My First Storygame

6 years ago
Awesome. Just awesome.

My First Storygame

6 years ago

Wow, thank you!

My First Storygame

6 years ago
You got a solid start with your first game - keep up the great work!

My First Storygame

6 years ago

Thank you!  I have a couple ideas, striking out in a different direction, so we'll see if they come to anything.

My First Storygame

6 years ago

I just commented after finishing the game, but I felt you deserve a comment here as well. This is an incredible first effort! It feels like you've had experience, honestly. I love your humor, it reminds me of Terry Pratchett's humor to a slightly lesser degree. I didn't really find any points where the game became "choppy" either. It's very well written and really fun to play. Keep up the awesome work.

My First Storygame

6 years ago

Thanks for the great comment!  I rather guessed treasure on the rooftop would give people the most trouble.  And I'm glad to hear the humor worked; I enjoyed breaking the fourth wall and having the narrator speak directly to the player.