Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Increase in puzzle stories

6 years ago

In addition to DavidG’s recently well received puzzle story, seems like there has been more of these in general lately.

I guess I should start going through some of these, since so far the only ones I've bothered rating are Will's Jack the Ripper story and TSMPaul's Object story.

6 years ago
Killa's school story was like this to a degree, there were distinct locations you could backtrack over and a hunt for keys with some puzzle solving.

They're fun if done right, I don't care much for the ones that don't bother attaching a plot.

Hunting the Ripper is more in that category as a Mystery. Really not sure why those are combined tbh.

6 years ago

Wasn't Tower of Riddles a puzzle story? That one was pretty straightforward with solid puzzles all around. 

Puzzle stories are honestly quite fun, and maybe after this contest I'll join in on the puzzle "frenzy."

6 years ago

Based off of your definitions of puzzle games, my Wip is probably a puzzle-lite storygame. It's also totally going to be featured.

6 years ago

Wasn't aware I had a major definition of puzzle games since I don't usually bother with them, though I don't have any inherent dislike for them like say the fanfic section.

6 years ago

I enjoyed collecting treasures in games enough that I eventually decided to create my own version.  To anyone who enjoys any particular type of puzzle game, I'd recommend spending some time asking yourself what the best games get right, and what features you wish they'd add (or would take out).  Then create a game with exactly that, making sure you infuse it with your own personality, so it stands out.