Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Contest SHAME 5: Orgy of the SHAMED!

6 years ago

It’s that time.

Once again it was a case of a bunch of people being enthusiastic and full of promises then half of them being completely impotent and limp when the moment of truth had arrived. Even an extension didn’t help and a couple of you got yourselves TWICE SHAMED.

Shouldn’t be surprised though, such are the failures of the lesser born.

While many refused the call, there were a couple of you that found the gumption to drag yourselves out of the SHAME pit this time. No, you don’t get any extra praise for this, because you should have been good enough to have avoided it in the first place given how simple of a task it is, but at least it shows you have grain of self respect after all.

Anyway let’s get on with the SHAMING. New people in the pit are bolded as usual.

PIT OF SHAME

Author4
awesomeness12
Bannerlord
BenCrucifix
betaband
Bilbo
bjhovey
Blazewhisker
BlueThread
Chris113022
Claw2k11
Comply
Doodled

DungeonLord
Everwriter
frank2
ISentinelPenguinI
JeffreyJabs

jep49
Journeyman
jster02
Kwism1127
Lallafa
Lancelot
lunamoonia1
MrAce
NekoCat
Orange
p1_tjc
Providence

RainGem
Raki
Rathalon1213
resistor
Reverencia
RoyalGhost_007
Seto
ShowMeTheCode
SixtySnakes
SkullyZombies
Thotfodder
unturned
XNeoBurritoX

TWICE SHAMED

Chanbot (Ford)
Flamenod
MasonJarGuzzi
MinnieKing
Mr.Mustachio
Plelb
SpartacustheGreat (Coins)
Yellowbelly

BANNED AND SHAMED

CallMeFriend (Boringfirelion)
LADYHEAT24
Negative (multiple times)
temporaryaccount
Tot

And of course because they’re special…

END’S CELL OF ETERNAL DISAPPOINTMENT

Bucky
TharaApples

While Bucky was the “Mystery Participant” and wouldn’t win anyway because he was a judge, he is NOT exempt from punishment for failing to produce a story.

He had ONE job to prove how easy it was to make a story within the deadline (AND extension that he provided!) and he couldn’t even do that. Enjoy the cell.

And that’s a wrap for this contest’s SHAMING and as usual you fuckers are still terrible.

6 years ago

The shame gods always reap their pound of flesh. Praise be. 

6 years ago

I thought Bucky did create a story recently. I know he at least posted a link to one in the December contest thread. I don't know if that was supposed to be his entry though.

6 years ago

That was another contest story he did.

6 years ago

Ah.

6 years ago

Here's to another contest and my second escape from shame.

Hopefully we actually get a romance contest in Feburary as twice I've already been bamzooled along with my threat of seppuku.

6 years ago
15 new additions. That pit is getting pretty crowded! Might have to start putting some of that scum against each other in fights to the death just to clear up space.

Excellent showing from the Villain's Lair in the contest however I'm pleased to see. Though not all are official members of the Council of Nine, seven EIGHT of those we allow to hang out with us managed an entry.

With a few exceptions.

There was Mynoris, who after writing dutifully for over a month, flaked the hell out on the very last day in one of them most impressive shows of self sabotage I've ever seen. Chatting for hours in IRC on unrelated subjects, then wandering off to 'cook food' (wtf? Nobody eats on deadline day. Nobody!) but still looking like she'd pull through with a roomy 45 minutes to spare for her very last page. Alas, a baffling minute-before-midnight bathroom break was the finishing blow. She doesn't deserve exemption from SHAME imho. Could have still published from the toilet with her phone.

Then we have Coins. In a disgusting display of sloth and fecklessness, he spent the entire, and I do mean ENTIRE time allotted for the contest playing video games. New Vegas, then more New Vegas, then the New Vegas DLC. Then Fallout 3 for some reason. It was literally the only thing he spoke about in chat and he dodged/ignored my questions about his story on multiple occasions. He doesn't deserve to live imho after being twice SHAMED without even the most feeble attempts at redemption. I'd say he should be forced to commit whatever the Korean version of seppeku is, although I know some would argue going directly from NV to F3 is punishment enough. But we should at the very least look at replacing him with the much more productive Crescent as our token Asian.

Finally, Bucky. There is absolutely NO excuse for this one as he's already proven he can write and publish a passable story in like four hours. He said he'd realized around Christmas he wouldn't be able to finish the story he had planned, but so what? This worthless son of a whore still had more than ten days thanks to the extension only HE knew was coming; plan a shorter story and then write it. IAP made compromises, I made compromises, but we got our shit done. While it's true Bucky's doesn't belong in the SHAME pit with the common rabble, since he failed to man the fuck up and just write, it will be fitting if he now spends his time in the cell in fear of Thara making him her sissy bitch.

6 years ago
Nah, I was going to tell End I deserved a punishment even if I did wind up doing something by the time I decided to gift an extension. That extension was never meant for my benefit. That was pure kindness and Christmas Spirit.

6 years ago

How many how many of the entrants were from the lair, but not official members? I have not kept up with everyone that survived the purge.

6 years ago
Total entrants from Team Villains and Associates:

Ogre, me, Malk, IAP, Steve, AzBaz, you, and Mynoris now that she's cleared. I believe that's over half the entrants.

If only Coins hadn't shamed us, and his family. Again. We'd have had a perfect streak.

6 years ago
These SHAME threads should go into News and Updates. Arguably they are more anticipated than the stories themselves.

6 years ago
I truly deserve it, to be perfectly honest. I considered doing a repeat of the It's Raining Again style story, but I would have been even more disappointed in myself since it was supposed to show the next step, what a week's work of effort could do. But I bit off more than I could chew with the holidays and the move.

Disgraceful nonetheless.

For everyone else that got shamed, I'm taking a positive spin on things this year! Less contest entries I have to read!

@Orange - I really wanted to read yours. Please finish it.

6 years ago

Well good news for Mynoris and Still. They have avoided the SHAME pit.

This time...

6 years ago

Count me eternally grateful.  Or at least grateful until the next contest.

6 years ago
I'm actually pretty ashamed of the entire Villain's Lair at this point, excellent showing in the contest aside.

'Just because they're SHAMED...maybe they're not so bad? They still contribute to the site!' << Actual claim being made by multiple people at this very moment.

I need to write out my character's escape from that party pretty soon, it's been so awful for so long, and always in new ways. Sentinel so far is the smartest member we've ever had, even if fucking off the entire SITE was perhaps a bit much.

6 years ago
Dang, that's a big pit.

6 years ago
I suppose now is the time to finally get it off my chest just how much I've come to despise frank2.

Takes one of the more interesting and open ended historical prompts, ruins it immediately with generic fantasy zombie shit. Adds a pinch of borderline plagiarism and awful sentence structure and then vanishes back to whatever offsite hole he's spent the last six months in.

And now he's not even around to properly wallow in his SHAME. Probably won't see him again till July.

6 years ago
Actually...

How the hell did MinnieKing wind up in the pit of DOUBLE ULTRA SHAME? Writing games quickly used to be his thing.

Anyway I still say some of this subhuman trash ought to be pitted against each other in arena battles. The winners can be offered their freedom.

6 years ago
@MinnieKing

6 years ago

I don't speedwrite things anymore, I prefer to take my time and write things that are more worthy now.

6 years ago
This is exactly the wrong kind of attitude to have if you ever hope to escape the pit. A FEEBLE EXCUSE by HUMAN GARBAGE is all I hear.

6 years ago

Yeah, but you can't manage that either. Lol 

6 years ago

I second this as well. This would be quite entertaining, and would give many people the opportunity to rid themselves of shame. Only if they deserve it of course.

6 years ago
@Seto @Orange @ISentinelPenguinI @Bluethread @JeffreyJabs @bilbo @betaband @MasonJarGuzzi are some of those who might still possess the shred of dignity and self respect needed to try and better themselves.

6 years ago

False.

6 years ago

So, how would you determine who is worthy and who is not?

6 years ago
You can look at my post, directly above yours for a helpful list.

6 years ago

I was just curious what Ebon's rule of judgment would be.

6 years ago

Me? Well I don’t really decide much if anything, but if I were  to determine who’s in I’d honestly probably use much of the same standards they’ve currently been using.

EDIT: Regardless of what I think, I’m still just a prentice villain (or whatever that may be.called) as of now. I think.

6 years ago

You're still more of a villain than I'll ever likely be. Take that however you want.

6 years ago

In that case, I’ll take it as a compliment.

6 years ago

Oddly enough, I was kinda hoping you might.

6 years ago

Expound perhaps?

6 years ago

Anyhow, I was making that comment as a statement of fact, generally intending to be neutral.  Which means that it works better if it is looked upon favorably rather than otherwise.  Also, considering the place is known as a Villains Lair, it stands to reason that many of the members aspire to be called that, which is what I also had in mind when making the comment.  If it was poorly received then it meant I misjudged the situation.

6 years ago

He just flaked out on one contest and then on the other where he was trying to redeem himself, he accidently deleted his story.

Basically he was right at the mouth of the pit and had one hand on a ledge to pull himself out and he sneezed so hard he fell back in.

6 years ago
Oh yeah I remember that now

lol

6 years ago

Yeah, that was unfortunate.

6 years ago

That is, indeed, unfortunate.  Sorry to hear it.

6 years ago

If you're talking about writing contests, that's actually an intriguing notion.

6 years ago

The problem with that idea is most of those people have completely disappeared or were hopeless anyway.

6 years ago

Probably isn't hard to see if they're still active and pair them up with either each other, or with someone else on the site so there aren't many 'automatic' winners by default.

6 years ago

Honestly out of the current line up in the SHAME Pit, I'd only expect Minnie or Orange to try to submit something. Maybe Royal Ghost, but everyone else is going to be slothful as usual.

Bucky, I imagine is going to write something quick to get out of the cell next contest.

6 years ago
Not enough. I could have did that this time.

6 years ago

By the way. What does it mean if your name is bolded?

6 years ago

It means you're a recent addition to the pit.

6 years ago

Okay.

6 years ago

What happened to this dude throwing a tantrum and leaving the site after we exiled Saika? Or have I confused him with someone else?

6 years ago

What dude?

6 years ago

Me?

6 years ago

Yeah. I feel it was you, although your confusion isn't very indicative.

6 years ago

Why me though?

6 years ago

I thought I read you saying something like that, but I suppose I might be mistaken.

6 years ago

I haven't been active lately to say anything like that. 

6 years ago

Huh. Well, my bad.

6 years ago
I know I saw Ace in at least one of the screenshots but not sure how involved he was with any of the rest of it. Alekos and Dini are the only Siaka true believers I'm aware of.