Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Looking Forward to Storygame Goodness!

6 years ago

Hello! I am new here and have already played two games. If I had it my way I would like to try at least a new one each day... Mainly to get a hang of what already exists here and to glean inspiration for my own. I have always been infatuated with the genre and love how it has evolved with online elements. My favorite (before coming here) are the Adventure Games on Rinkworks if anyone has ever played them. But here the community gets to make them too!

6 years ago
Hey, welcome to the site.

Starting off reading stories and especially the top rated ones is actually a really good idea and I wish more newbies would do that so glad to hear that. Leaving detailed reviews is also good practice in being able to identify what works or doesn't work in a CYOA in ways that you can use in your own writing. (And of course the authors appreciate it too!)

If you decide to create your own stories, I'd recommend going over the articles on scripting in Help & Info, and remember you can always take any specific writing questions or requests for feedback to the Workshop.

6 years ago

Indeed! I really do plan to get into the scripting as I have dabbled in programing; never really anything of note. And I don't have a problem in the worldbuilding department as I have been working on a universe for ages. I just need to apply myself, hehe.

Additionally, I do plan on reading highly ranked ones, but I also wanna help the community out. I will have to pace myself with the unpublished ones needing review. If anything, it gives me something to do at work!

6 years ago
Well if you're looking for stories most in need of a review, we just had a big contest which led to a lot of entries hitting the site at once, and with so many not all of them have gotten a lot of feedback yet.

There's a list with links in this thread, although they're mostly right there on top of the new storygames page too.

They cover a variety of genres since all the entrants picked from a list of prompts, so I'm sure you can find something you'll like.

6 years ago

Yep already started on that list on the stories in need. I can't help but do an in depth review when the storygame really needs it. Have read two already in that regard. But I am now also reading Eternal on the side to balance things out.

6 years ago

There's a good chance you'll be doing that for a while.  I started making note of which endings I've found so I'd know when I got them all.

6 years ago
Welcome and have fun on the site. Indeed, you can read a new one everyday for a long, long time -- there's that many stories on the site!

6 years ago

Welcome to the site!  You're already enjoying yourself from the sounds of it, so I don't have to tell you to do that.  Of course, I shouldn't have to in the first place, but I kind of got into the habit of it.  And I've never even worked in customer service.  But I digress.

So, what kind of genres do you like in general?  As you can see, we have things organized by genre, so I'm curious to know where you're likely to write your own stories.

6 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya.... I am most in love with fantasy followed by sci-fi or blends of both. JRR Tolkein is my favorite author, just to give you an idea. But I am always open to new things on occasion.

The setting for my universe is mostly high fantasy with elements of sci-fi, but it more resembles magitech where used (tho sparingly for now as I have not done tons of story building with my 'space elves').

6 years ago

No worries.  Life happens.

Fantasy and supernatural are my main loves, though I love some good sci-fi and historical drama as well.  Fantasy here, however, is probably the hardest place to make a name,since that's where a lot of the writers focus.  Good luck though!

6 years ago
Hey hay hae

6 years ago

I hope you continue to enjoy the site. :D

6 years ago

Oh, I certainly will. The ideas are already flowing, that is a good sign.