Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello everyone. Another new guy here.

6 years ago
Commended by Ford on 7/22/2023 10:59:23 AM

For those who are wondering wtf these kind of messages are doing in their beautiful forums: "However, there's more to the community than just storygames. If you head over to the forums, you'll find a welcoming group of people waiting. You should introduce yourself over at Newbie Central." So yes. there you have the reason. That Cysid guy set you all up.

Anyways..yes hi I'm enterpride and I like living, got hobbies and like animals or that stuff. I've been reading some stories over here in the last few months. After someone told me not to consume but to create and to add value to society (or some mumble jumble like that), I decided I wanted to write my very own CYOA whenever I have my free time. 

Anyways I have my first few questions:

Do you resize the popup and read the stories in fullscreen, keep it standardly small, or are you weird and are you somewhere inbetween?

From which point do you get distressed about a wall of text?

Would you like your CYOA focus more on events, more on personal interactions or more on inner thoughts?

(edit) How long is your attentionspan to read a CYOA on this site?

Thank you if you got this far!

Plsdontkillme.

6 years ago
It is totally not necessary to cite the welcome message while posting in this thread.

So far, it has been a fatal indication to all who have gone that route before.

Welcome to the site I guess, but I don't expect too much based on this post. :P

6 years ago

Good. Expectation lowerers will make my coming success all the sweeter. I'll happily take up this challenge.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the last dude?

6 years ago
Well, llImperatorll aside, they (plural) never posted again, spammed the site, turned out to be the 500th+ alt of weaponized autism, threatened to use a belt, and/or used said belt.

6 years ago

Then I will continue to be a good law abiding citizen of these forums. I don't want to associate my good brand with weaponised autism. The others sounds simply like that one weird pedo guy at your local park.

6 years ago

Oh dear. IIRC I cited the welcome message in this forum when I arrived.

6 years ago

You don't expect much out of anyone, do you?  Or maybe it's other people who keep saying that.  Could very well be; my memory isn't the best.  Either way, there have been much worse intro threads. :)

6 years ago
Welcome to the site.

No.
It varies.
It depends.
Seven.

Thanks for asking!

6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I will keep it in mind and err on the safe side. Five max.

6 years ago

a) I resize my window occasionally when reading, but quite frequently when writing.  Usually I make it just the size so that it doesn't cover the top of the screen where it shows me new messages on this site, and so it also doesn't cover the first few lines of text in whatever chat I happen to be in at the time.  I also rarely extend it all the way across my screen, but usually stop about half way there.

b) I would have to actually feel distressed about a wall of text again and count how many lines.  If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know.

c) I like my stories to have enough events to propel the inner thoughts.  Personal interactions are just a bonus.  But I do tend to zone out if there is too much landscape description or if an action sequence is too detailed.

d) I've read through Eternal; that should answer your question.  If it doesn't, read Eternal. :D

6 years ago

Alright, so as long as stuff keeps happening, you will keep reading. That is a relief :)

6 years ago
Hey, welcome to the site. I was going to say you might get more people noticing the thread and that list of questions in the Workshop, but looks like you've got quite a few replies already after all.

1) Weird and I make it cover the left half of the screen. Full screen turns paragraphs into one or two scraggly lines of text.

2) Text walls and page length are different things. Typical paragraph is three to five sentences (just recalling now a fun thread where someone argued against this that I'll have to dig up...) at which point I want that space between it and the next, and dialogue needs to be spaced out too. This is the simple method to avoid text walls. If we're just talking page length, I think the general consensus in the past has been that it's preferred not to have much more than 1000 words per page.

3) Why not all three? In fact you mind of need them for a developed plot and characters.

4) Depends on if it's good.

6 years ago

Thanks for the indepth insights! You've gotten me really curious about that thread. Could you forward it to me whenever you find it?