Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

I’ve never been much of a Sonic fan; I was more of what you could call “a Nintendo guy.” The Sonic games (in my opinion) are crappy, boring, and the same stages repeated over and over again. I didn’t know much about Sonic and I honestly didn’t want to. After reading some of the origins and lore, I became ADDICTED. It was a creative piece of work that had more potential than it was sharing. Here’s a quick summary of who he is and how he came to be. What do you guys think about Sonic? Should it be changed or possibly made better?

Scources:

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_News_Network

http://stc.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_the_Comic_Wiki

Doctor Ovi Kintobor was a scientist from Earth who had somehow crash-landed 11,763,222 light years away, onto a planet called Mobius. Mobius existed in a parallel dimension/time-zone, in a region made up of dark matter and inhabited with sentient animals. During his time on Mobius, Doctor Kintobor built a laboratory under the Emerald Hill Zone and befriended Sonic the Hedgehog. Kintobor struck a deal with Sonic, offering him superhuman (or superanimal?) speed in return for magical gemstones called the Chaos Emeralds. Kintobor was planning on destroying the emeralds in his “Retro-Orbital Chaos Compressor,” in order to keep Mobius a paradise, safe from the clutches of evil. Sonic agreed to the undeniable offer.

It wasn’t long before Sonic had collected all of the Chaos Emeralds, handing them over to Kintobor, who had kept to his word and began experimenting on Sonic; trying to improve his speed. His tests were successful and Sonic was able to run so fast that he had broken the sound barrier; the shockwaves turning him blue and fusing his quills together.

Later on while he was all alone, Kintobor got hungry so he went to his fridge, finding empty except for a six month old rotten egg. While crossing his lab to get some salt for his disgusting snack, Kintobor tripped over a trailing cable and collided with ROCC. The evil in the emeralds combine with the rotten egg turned Ovi Kintobor into the malevolent Doctor Ivo Robotnik (his name spelled backwards.) “Eggman” became a fearsome dictator and began to take over Mobius, turning its citizens into batteries for his mechanical minions called “badniks.”

After the events above, the Sonic Origin had been changed and revamped several times.

Sonic is able to defeat Robotnik and free the enslaved Mobians from their badnik husks. Robotnik, accepting his defeat, gathered the Chaos Emeralds and flew away in his Egg-O-Matic Hovercraft. For a brief period of time, the Mobians were happy and safe. Meanwhile, “Eggman” had built a fortress back on Earth and was planning yet another attack.

Later on, while traveling on the West Side Island, Sonic ran into Miles “Tails” Prowler… and Robotnik, who tries to take over their world again. Sonic has to fight off Eggman, who ends up chaining Little Planet (a natural Mobian ‘Satellite’) and chains it to Earth. Little planet hovers just above Never Lake, where Sonic ends up meeting Amy. They didn’t get to officially meet each other, because “Eggman” releases his latest invention, Metal Sonic, who kidnaps her.

Sonic obviously defeats the metal aberration, but at the price of the life of his girlfriend Princess Sally. After kidnapping her, Robotnik robotized her; turning her into a mindless/conscienceless slave.

Amy helps fight Eggman with her trusty crossbow (a hammer in the animated series.) Sonic is left with overwhelming grief and takes a long break from fighting to let his broken heart heal.

What I think:

I feel that it should be made slightly more mature (more violence, mild cussing, etc.) which would appeal to a wider audience. If the games actually shared a decent storyline or more dramatic and in-depth moments, I’m sure it’d draw lots of attention. For example, did anyone ever see or notice the period of time where everyone on YouTube was playing Sonic EXE? That’s exactly why! At the same time, some things should be left for speculation.

If I was to make a Sonic Fanfiction (Not the erotic crap) or a storygame, would anyone play it? Why or why not? 

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago
Except for the first couple of games they were pretty crappy, and most of the recent ones are absolutely dire.

There was some cartoon I watched as a kid that I remember as being pretty good, but there were actually two on simultaneously. One was I guess a more serious take on the lore and the other was more jokey and didn't appeal to me at the time. (It's entirely possible that both were actually shit, I don't trust the taste of kid me.)

There was actually a reboot of the ( universally reviled) comic book done in the last few years and it's supposed to be decent now if you're into that. There was some Mega Man crossover the reboot coincided with and I read that and then a couple more I downloaded for my niece and it seemed okay.

I think the original setting actually does have potential if you rip out all the retarded shit from the last couple decades of games. Or I can understand the appeal at least...except for all the association with edgy furries (which frankly sounds like ground you'll be retreading...) and the fact that Sonic himself doesn't fit and was more about being a 90s kid mascot going on about chili dogs and how cool he is than making any sense in the setting. He's always been the least interesting character.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

Yeah, I pretty much 100% agree. I remember watching Sonic X on Saturday mornings when I was younger; from what I remember, it wasn't bad for an anime... if you'd even consider it an anime. Nowadays there's Sonic Boom and other stuff that I didn't even bother watching or playing. And yeah, I hate that furry shit. ITS EVERYWHERE!!!!

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

Image result for wheres that damn fourth chaos emerald

There's your mild cussing.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

YAY!!!

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

By the way there is a game called Shadow the Hedgehog for gamecube that was meant for mature people.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

It was easily the most mature game of all time. There were aliens, and you had a gun, of which you shot at the aliens while you may have been running fast. Not too fast, though. 

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago
Edgy tweens = "mature", yes.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

I meant more mature than sonic

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

Yes. :P

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

Having a hard time picturing anything Sonic related as mature/edgy or anything of the sort. It’s the same with Mario, Megaman and the rest of those game mascot types.

Some stuff just can’t be grimdarked.

It’s like when people write creepy pastas of "scary" Mario games or Pokemon fanfic where Brock is on heroin, Ash impregnated Misty, Team Rocket started killing people and all the pokemon get turned into rape slaves.

Just seems silly.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago
Nah the idea of grimdark Sonic was popular as far back as when I was in middle school and still read fanfic as a voluntary act.

It goes beyond the usual 'hey let's take random children's franchise and make it COOLER by adding violence and swearing!' thing because it fits the setting so well. IIRC in the cartoon the animals were basically all hiding in a hidden bunker in the woods in what was basically a post apoc setting. Dr. Robotnik had overthrown whatever prior civilization there was and hunted them with robots that used to be people. Getting captured and shoved into the robotocizer or however it's spelled was considered a fate worse than death that turned you into a mindless robot slave, and these were proved on a couple of occasions to still retain memories of their past lives.

So yes it's proven a rich vein of material for emo furries who cheerfully ignore the fact that the title character cracks bad jokes and is naked except for dorky red tennies while running fast after glowing gold hula hoops and never shuts up about how awesome chili dogs are.

(Eggman is a stupid name he will always be Robotnik to me...nevermind that, yes, Robotnik is also a stupid name.)

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

Ok, mom.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago
I mean look how freakin evil Robotnik is!

Even Dr. Wily never did THAT!

GASP! Will Dr. Light be okay????? I guess I better buy the next issue to find out...

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

Lol. Didn’t know there was an official cross over.

Then again I suppose my familiarity of the lore on these game settings (Sonic, Megaman, Mario, etc) is fairly limited other than vague knowledge of some of the more important characters.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

I suppose you're right

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

The only thing I know about Sonic is that one fan game with loads of hentai.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

I played the original Sonic, as it came free with my Sega Genesis, back in the day.  I did enjoy it, but a very long time passed before I tried any of the sequels.  Whether it was me or the games, though, they simply didn't sustain my interest for long.  As for the cartoons and comic books, I've never seen them, nor do I have any interest in doing so.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago
The appeal of the series basically just didn't survive the transition from 2D platformers. 'Running fast, collecting rings' is such a simple formula but then they wanted it to be like Super Mario 64. I had the first Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast and it was just boring. And after that they just kept doubling down on unwanted bullshit and gimmick characters and ridiculous plots and bloat.

When they go back to their roots like in Sonic Colors the games magically become fun again.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

agreed

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

Ah, so you're the other person who bought a Dreamcast.  I was wondering who that was!

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago
I spent an inexcusable amount of time playing Crazy Taxi and some space game....I think it was called Armada?

Anyway I liked my Dreamcast. Not counting my DS, the next console I bought was a PS4 and I can't say I'm impressed with how they've evolved. The entire appeal of a console to me was always that they were these boxes that you popped a game into and then could immediately play with no BS. Somehow those don't exist anymore, like the technology actually moved backwards and instead what we have requires more hassle than just installing a game on a PC.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

I remember when you actually "unlocked" special levels, guns, etc. in games.

Now you have to buy them... what the fuck...

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago

It's all the DLC that's ticking me off in modern games.  You shouldn't have to pay extra to enjoy the game fully.

Sonic. Yes or No?

6 years ago
They used to be called expansion packs and were almodt sequels in their own right.

I don't mind DLC that much if it adds extra things just for fun, since debs are expected to support games pretty much forever now (instead of just releasing them complete to begin with for some reason...) I get that they may need to keep bringing in revenue to justify it. What pisses me off is when they deliberately hold back content that should have been in the base game in order to drip feed it to players over time for cash. If I'm only been buying half a game to begin with and expected to pay more for the rest than prices should reflect that.

See: everything about the way Sims games are sold.