Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Greetings folks!  Ssenpsl here and I'm so glad to have found this website.  Looks like a lot of great stories to be had so I'm Looking forward to reading other's stories and then writing some of my own to contribute as well.  I've been a hobby novelist for several years now so I thoroughly enjoy writing.  I'm also a senior programmer with a B.S. in game development and animation as well as a graphic artist so it will be a lot of fun to have the opportunity to combine my interests into one final production.  Nice to meet everyone!

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Hi there :)

Since you're a programmer I'll have no doubt you'll be thoroughly underwhelmed by "scripting" capabilities of the advanced editor.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

I have noticed that the scripting abilities are limited, however, many of the abilities are hinged on inserting HTML tags into the screen.  If that is so, has anyone successfully been able to incorporate javascript coding into the screens as well?  I think that would be interesting to add some additional visual capabilities to the games at times.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago
If you stumble upon something that would allow for animated gifs (pronounced "JIF" ) please share it!

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

I just joined after you. I really enjoy gaming and think it works well with the CYOA genre. I recently played 'The Banner Saga' and really enjoyed the story, art and everything else.

Hopefully you will make something on here worthy of animating over, you never know?

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Oooo!  The Banner Saga was awesome!  I have to replay it and then play the second one. :)

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago
Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your stay here. The scripting is nice, but it isn't all that powerful.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcome!  I am finding that it is difficult to post in these forums as many browsers seem to error out in the jQuery code when hitting the post message button.  I have five devices between work and home and only one browser on one device will successfully post.  Is this a common bug and, if so, is anybody working on fixing this?

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago
Never heard of any bugs like that, you must be unique.

Or wait, do you mean that the 'post message' button isn't responding when you use your phone? (To rephrase in English...) In Chrome the fix for that is to check 'request desktop site'.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago
Since you understand computers and code: This site was created eons and eons ago (in computer time). It hasn't been seriously updated in, well at least a decade. There are errors here and there, but in general it's still pretty solid. The only place I've seen errors on the post button is with phone and mobile devices (because this site was pretty much made before those were a thing).

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Right now I'm writing on the one device that doesn't have any issues to post messages so tomorrow I'll connect to the forum from my work computer and open the network and console screens in Google chrome to take a screenshot of the errors that are occurring there and post them here once I return home to this machine and setup.  I'm sure that it's impossible that I'm the only one having the issue occur.  More likely the other users who have had issues just couldn't post and thus never bothered to keep trying.  If you can look into the issue, then you might get even more visitors to this wonderful site.  I've been looking through the settings of this machine to figure out what it could possibly be and I'll check the firewall and proxy server at work tomorrow to make sure that's not interfering in some unknown way then report back what I find.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago
>If you can look into the issue, then you might get even more visitors to this wonderful site.

Ogre will get right on that.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Yep, I find the same thing happens when trying to make certain requests on the site at particular times. I just think the database structure is poorly designed.

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Nice to meet you to, ssenpsl! I signed up a few days ago, and I am already working on a new scifi government spy story titled Warm Spaghetti: A game of Minds. What are you up to?

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago

Welcome to the site. 

Newbie Noob Alert

6 years ago
ye