Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Unfinished Storygames: Do You Have Them?

6 years ago

First, I'm not sure if this would fit better in the Parlor Room, the WW, or here. I figured this'd be fine. Anyway...

While I wouldn't be surprised that you might have storygames that have a few words here or there or simply ones that hold awesome titles, do any of you have long works that'll never be published? I don't remember this being discussed, and I'm curious to see if anybody else is akin to me. If you do have that aborted corpse, then why is it there?

I have one from (almost) two years ago. It's also sitting at over 23k words making it longer than anything I've published. It just sits there being all Irishy (and a Dullahan is in there which inspired me to post this after seeing Mizal's ww post). I don't publish it because I've grown as a writer, and this story will take way too much editing to make it proper. (Plus, the scripting is abhorrent.) Other than that, everything I have is 5k or less (except my WIP).

6 years ago

22k on my attempt to make something out of the shitty rebellion story, and 15k on some Necromunda type story I had. Not much else left unfinished by me. I remember the Irish one, though, I'm sure I've PMed you about it before.

6 years ago

Yea, you did. You were interested by Scáth Dubh in the title. It's sort of funny, but your one storygame that has 22k in its unfinished state seems pretty insignificant for you. It's probably due to your massive lengths of your previous ones. :)

6 years ago
Nope!

I had lots but then I had a minor bout of artistic angst and deleted everything I'd ever written in the last 15 years or so and it was the best decision I ever made. :)

6 years ago

Oh, I think I remember that now. Also, 400 years from now when archeologist try to sift through CYS's tattered and electronic remains, they'll shed countless tears at your loss like people do today over Franz Kafka.

6 years ago

You fucking cunt, Kafka was my reference. Fuck it, I pick Monet now.

Edit: No, I pick Gerald Manley Hopkins. God's Grandeur, motherfucker.

6 years ago

Kafkaesque, that.

6 years ago
While all of my current WIPs I'm expecting to be able to publish in one form or another, I do have several thousands words in outlines for stories that I'll tragically likely never get around to, human lifespans and looming nuclear apocalypses being what they are.

At the very most there are certain ideas or scenes I'm hoping to be able to touch on in smaller projects even if I can't include them as part of a fully developed plot.

6 years ago

Hellstorm: Word Count - 13163
Lonely:  Word Count - 112
Naming fire:  Word Count - 141
School of mutants: Word Count - 9170
Under the skin:  Word Count - 1834
Voice of a madman: Word Count - 2278
Werewolves and magic: Word Count - 4298
What if there is no 'dreaming':  Word Count - 812
Alchemy Brothers: Word Count - 6685

From my old and my new account. 
Haven't touched any of them in a year or two. (except Alchemy Brothers. I made that rather recently) I mean. I have plenty of plans for them and stuff. But I've got a lot of other things to work on instead. And by the time I get around to them, I'll probably be too busy cringing at the writing to actually do anything with them.

Edit: Actually, looking at them, I'm already cringing at the writing. >_> Werewolves and magic was made when I was 12 or 13. 

6 years ago

Yep, I know the feeling. I look back at my older stuff and wonder how I could've made so much process, but it also seems to utterly burry any chance of resurrecting our older unfinished storygames. :)

6 years ago
I made the excellent life decision of not writing anything when I was 12 or 13.

6 years ago

Well, you need the practice. If you don't write at 12 or 13, then when you do start writing at 25, it'll still be like a 12 or 13 year old. You might as well get it out of the way while it's not an embarrassment to be writing at that level. 

6 years ago
Not even remotely true- people mature and gain experience regardless of whether they write, and that comes through in their writing.

6 years ago
I did write as a kid but thankfully none of it wound up on the internet. At 12 or 13, reading is probably a lot more useful tbh. You pick up so much just by osmosis.

Writing at that age is more of a just for fun thing and aside from the grammar / punctuation stuff which anyone can figure out by age 10 or so, if a story is actually decent or not is more a matter of luck than having the critical facilities to make it a conscious effort.

Different age for everyone of course but I'd say a kid is ready to take writing seriously once they're able to read a published book on a meta enough level to identify the parts of the story and the cause and effect of events and if it sucked or not and why.

6 years ago

I got some:
9,277 for generic fantasy.
9,454 for generic fantasy on boats.
11,316 for generic fantasy with a dash of fantasy sci-fi.

Mentioning these since I recall their stories the most vividly when I scroll through my storygames.

Now for the main one.
30,285 for generic fantasy, the branching layout for this one looks real nice on twinery. Also this is probably older than all the others, if I recall.

Honourable mention goes to 7,055 for a super hero story, as an unofficial entry into the super hero contest (since it was made due to that). I didn't officially enter tho, since I'm too attached to my points.
Mentioning this story here since I'd consider it finished. However, a number of issues leave it lacking in too many ways to get published, but I guess it technically meets the minimum site requirements (ignoring the rating criteria).

Anyway... feels good to mention this stuff. It is also interesting to see the replies of others.

6 years ago

You seem to like generic fantasies. Also, 30k will probably put you at a 7/8 length, and adding more puts it at a 8/8 length. I wonder what the ratings would be for our longer corpses.

I agree. It does feel good to mention this. I know we're a lazy bunch, but it's interesting to see the storygames that we put effort into then abandoned by the roadside like some drunk parents. :)

6 years ago
Just slap endings down and and publish those. It's really hard to get rated less than a four in any circumstance whatsoever if you have a substantial number of words + grammar.

6 years ago

Not necessarily.... Didn't work with me...

6 years ago

Do you really feel the need to necro a thread just so you can be bitter?

e: she also said words PLUS grammar. You were missing the grammar.

6 years ago

Bitter? I was just saying that, sorry. Also, I unpublished my stories because no one liked them. Again, sorry if I sound rude. I seem to have that curse. Where I sound rude and I don't mean to.

6 years ago

Man, this site hates me. :(

6 years ago

No one here hates you, we just don't like your writing. We haven't seen too much of your personality to judge you as a person yet.

Word of advice: don't give up. Just respond well to criticism and take the advice and you'll get far here. Not taking advice and not responding to criticism is a good way to actually make people hate you.

6 years ago

People have given criticism, and someone contacted me saying they'll help.

But the majority is mean criticism, with things like 'Do anything other than writing' and 'You didn't put effort in it'

I'm sorry. I'm just really tired of a lot of people being really mean about criticism towards me.

6 years ago

I honestly need a co-author for my storygames, so they can help me out. And I am capable of great writing. It's just, I like doing different kinds of writing and games. I also lack patience, so...

6 years ago
Umm, actually we did see her personality when she flipped out about a game that even she had to know was terrible before she hit publish getting a single mocking comment.

I have far less patience for laziness than I do with simple ineptitude, and am generally of the opinion that people with paper thin skins need to just fuck off for their own good. No improvement can happen until a person is able to get over themselves, so it's a matter of wasting their own time as well as everyone else's. Yelling at reviewers and ignoring legitimate points because you don't like their tone is a path to nowhere.

6 years ago
I have 11 unfinished ones. Of those 1 is basically done, I just need to stop being lazy and finish the arcade mode + some writing and achievements. 3 more I'm only a quarter or so finished (~100 pages each done), but like the 1st one is stalled.

Others are a mix of just testing out idea, so I wouldn't expect any of them to ever get completed.

6 years ago

Ignore this.

6 years ago

Should just ask a mod to delete your post, I think? Also, what's with the double posts that you do, are you suffering from an autistic sperging of the fingertips? 

6 years ago

I didn't mean to comment on this, sorry. I swear, this sight wants to slit my throat with a knife.

6 years ago
You are being very dramatic right now.

6 years ago

JUST... Ignore me. I'm extremely stressed and I don't want people to comment on the meaningless comments I made. I'm sorry. Please ignore me right now.

6 years ago

I really don't mean to sound mean or rude, I'm very very sorry.

6 years ago

Protip: edit, don't double post.

6 years ago

Ok

6 years ago

Also, nobody is going to try and steal your lunch money, everything's okay. You can stop cowering and whimpering from the imaginary lashings, they're all in your mind, Crimspider.

6 years ago
*they're

6 years ago

And I was just about to edit my post.

6 years ago

site*

Just ignore me, I'm done talking and I'm really stressed.

6 years ago

This community is full of endearing asshats that you just can't help but woot for! Ahh, you'll love it soon enough, or maybe you'll leave with your feefees shattered in pieces. 

Such things have unfortunately happened in the past. Ah, those peeps will truly be missed.

6 years ago

Ignore ME is what I meant, btw, not the post. That would just be extremely mean.

6 years ago

Yeah. I never finished my story, Hatred.

6 years ago

I feel if you've less than a thousand words, the story's not unfinished, it's unstarted.

6 years ago

I had a story I had worked on for awhile, and was quite proud if. I left for about a month, and when I came back and reread it, I hated it. It was still disappointing to delete 30,000 words of work, but it was beyond salvaging.

Edit: Actually, 22,000 words

6 years ago
Why are you telling this to Steve though?

6 years ago

I'm just adding it to the pile. This was the last post, so I just stuck it there.

6 years ago
Just respond to the OP, it will put it on the bottom without sliding it over to the left.

The forum's format is weird but I noticed you've been struggling with it longer than most so I'm taking pity now.

6 years ago

No need for pity. I don't really care where my comment technically lies, as long as it's at the bottom. I think there's more worthy people for your pity on this site than me.

6 years ago

Nah. You’re pretty worthy of pity as of now. 

Anyway, you might not care where your comment ends up, but by responding to other people you confuse them. They think that you are specifically responding to them, but in actuality you’re just too lazy to scroll to the top of the screen. By doing this you unconsciously make it where people are annoyed at your replies. After all, you aren’t actually replying to them. Eventually people will start to ignore your incessant posts, and you will become just another grain in the sand of an endless beach...

I could be wrong though. Not likely, but I could be.

6 years ago

I still struggle with it. o_O  In reading and remembering what belongs to what, not necessarily in posting.  I think most of my posts go where they should.

6 years ago
I mean I'd say there are more interesting ways to distinguish oneself then creative post placement cleverly emulating that of a person who doesn't understand how the forum works but you do you I guess.

6 years ago

I just have my Cystia story that I have no idea if I’ll ever finish. Well, that and storygame I have for messing with the AE.

If we’re talking about non-storygames on the other hand...

6 years ago

i have around 43 unfinished tales that will eventually be done. highest one has 30k so far.

6 years ago

Yeah.  I remember looking at your profile once and being completely ASTOUNDED by the number of games you have listed and incomplete.

6 years ago

nigga you did ATF?

6 years ago

I have only semi-finished one story (which isn't a storygame) with 7k. I’m currently working on one right now.

6 years ago

I have 5 stories listed total, only 1 of which is completed.  

Hunter and Hunted Started sometime in 2013, shortly after which I disappeared until the end of 2017.  It has a measly 377 words to its name, and has 5 pages listed, though most of those have nothing on them.

Mark of the Vampire Started sometime in 2013, shortly after which I disappeared until the end of 2017.  It has a few more words then H&H, up to 691, and has 6 pages listed, again, most of which are blank.

More Than Silver and Gold Started recently as a response to EndMaster's Romance Contest, though not actually an entry.  It has 2353 words and 11 listed pages.

Uncommon Evil Started recently and hasn't gotten anything except a title.  Yay.

A Witch's Inheritance Finished too late for the December Contest, and will probably be revamped at some point.  It has roughly 21,000 words and I'm not sure how to get a total page count for a published story.

As for non-CYOA stories, I have probably started writing at least 50 different stories, a few of which only made a few pages, the bulk of which probably range between 15-25 handwritten pages, and a few that make it to 40-something HW pages, and maybe 1 or 2 that make it over 100 HW pages.

6 years ago
I've got my 115,000 word contest entry, which I should be republishing soon. Other than that, an 80,000 that won't be done for a long time and a 4000 I probably won't finish.

6 years ago

Dang, that's a lot of currently unpublished words. Good luck.

6 years ago
Oh yeah I forgot about Robin's 40,000 words, the one I'm actually most likely going to let rot away unfinished lol.

6 years ago

Wow, I didn't expect anybody to have as many hidden words as you do. I don't know if that's good or bad either.

6 years ago

I have more than I'd like to count.

6 years ago

Kinda late, but eh. My first account has one that I started the day before it was banned, which was going to be a fantasy game called Paladin; I had originally started writing it at a much earlier date but eventually scrapped it before revisiting the idea. I knew nothing about paladins and was only just starting writing, so it would have turned out to be shit and I'm definitely glad I wasn't able to finish it. Not sure how many words were written, though because I didn't make a lot of progress with it I imagine not much.

Aside from that? If they count, I have three other stories I'm in the process of writing (well, two and one on hold): a sequel to my story Hard Night called Bright Days, a Sin City inspired neo-noir called Gomorrah, and my fantasy adventure called Hazelmyre, which I started about two years ago. Hazelmyre is the one on hold. As I put Bright Days and Gomorrah on hold as well to focus on my latest game, they're sitting at small word counts of 827 and 755 respectively, while Hazelmyre sits at 1,588.

EDIT: Oh, and my account TheDickReviewer (yeah, I regret the name too) which is also banned had two stories being worked on, which were sequels to now deleted games from my first account and this account. Don't remember the word count for these either. They would have sucked though, I'm sure of that.

6 years ago

Yes.

6 years ago
all the best titles, none of the best words

6 years ago

I have a few outlines for things. I wanted to make a story about a group of lazy detectives, and one very serious newbie detective that could also transform into different animals to solve a multitude of crimes and problems. 

Maybe later with that one.