Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Linear Writing

6 years ago

Wasn't satisfied that this question fit anywhere else, so I'm posting it here.

Anyway, since this site is dedicated to CYOA stories, I'm wondering what kind of sites people go to for sharing/reading their more linear works.  So far I haven't found one that really suits me.  I tried Scribophile for a while, but I found the system wasn't really very compatible with my personality, even though the folks on the forums seemed really nice.

Also, I'm hoping this won't be seen as competitive with CYS or not in its interests, since I'm not looking for another path driven story site.

Linear Writing

6 years ago
I just like, load up a book. Or open one, even.

I used to be really into a site called fanStory.com as back in the day it was THE place to get super detailed critical reviews and with a great motivation for writing them yourself, and as a consequence had some really high quality stories and novels. But it's utter shit now and taken over by bland housewives and grandmas and no one actually reviews anything anymore unless you can pump in $30 or so real dollars for everything you publish to put enough honey on it for other writers who are just about the cold mercenary accumulation of fake dollars to snag comments of their own. (nice comments only pls or blocked)

Every other writing site on the internet sucks. Just go read a real book.

Linear Writing

6 years ago

That doesn't help me share my own stuff. ;)  I already have a lot of books, e or hardcopy.

I was actually hoping some place with a smaller community like here would be around, but just with a different story format.

Linear Writing

6 years ago

Well there was Figment, but that's gone now.

Guess you could try the new Underlined place which is opening on the 20th.

https://www.getunderlined.com/

Who knows what that community is going to be like though.

Linear Writing

6 years ago

Quick, we should all rush it and mold it to our needs.

Wait, that only happens when the people in charge disappear.

Linear Writing

6 years ago
The people in charge are the ones who banned Warrior Cats and put in the minimum standards rule here to begin with.

But as many awful stories as we've seen here, it could always be far worse. The slight additional amount of effort it takes writing a CYOA vs a regular story has been a godsend that protects us from the worst dreck of the internet (determined invasions by cat children aside). But the community or at least the admins of any writing site need to have a consensus on the need for quality and vigilantly enforce it to make anyone take it seriously as a writing site.

Places like fanfiction.net meanwhile are popular primarily because they're holes in the ground that welcome absolutely anyone to shit in them and receive glowing praise for not going in their diaper.

Linear Writing

6 years ago

fanfiction.net, no matter how much lemon it has, is always a viable option for your plagiaristic needs.

archivesofourown.org is a heaping sack of shit, but it exists for a few sick reasons.

Any writer's group on reddit / facebook / tumblr will be more than happy to help.

Linear writing in general has always been a scatter-brained start because of how many sites exist to fill a certain niche.  After you get tired of the bullshit responses from ELD immigrants and snarky geeks, you usually pick up some "Elements of Style" and self-proofreading shit and come to a proper editor to make adjustments.

Seriously, writing linear fiction is a lot of fucking trouble.

Linear Writing

6 years ago

I find writing CYS to be more trouble, honestly.  Or, at least, it's more effort simply because I have less experience with it.

I'm already on Fanfiction.net, but that's not for 'original' stories, which I also do.

Reddit / Facebook / Tumblr, as far as I know, aren't sites dedicating to writing, so while the advice there might be good (or not so good) the setup itself isn't geared towards writing long pieces of linear fiction.

What does ELD stand for in the context of this post?

Linear Writing

6 years ago

English Language Development.

There are some people who are genuinely shit at the language and should have no business near anything that resembles a writing site (yet), much less providing critique.

Linear Writing

6 years ago

True.  Though, I suppose it would be a hard knocks way of learning if someone was determined to stay here.