Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Time Travel Destinations?

6 years ago

If you could travel back in time, where (or perhaps I should say, when) would you go?

I've always had a fascination with medieval and renaissance times, so I'd probably chose some that era somewhere in Europe.  Then again, seeing the reality of life at that time might be so disillusioning that I would regret having done so.

So, what's your choice?

6 years ago

A noob nonsense :

I would go to ancient Greece to meet Homer , Eukleides and all those great guys and of course learn new things.I would also meet (In England) Sir Arthur Conan Doyle because he has writen Sherlock Holmes and that is super cool

6 years ago

I noticed you mentioned Homer as your favorite author earlier, so I can understand your wanting to meet him and his cronies.  I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes books well enough, although I can think of other authors from his era that I'd rather meet.

6 years ago

Assuming we get one trip, the difference between Homer and Eukleides is about the distance between Bush and Lincoln.

6 years ago

The far off future, see all the innovations we've made or find out that the human race wiped itself out. Well, apparently, we can only go to the past, soooo...

Always had a thing for westerns, would love to go back to the 1800s and see some genuine gunfights. Oh, and the racism in all its glory. Aside from that I think it would be kickass to go to Woodstock and get fucked up.

6 years ago

Well, if you develop a time machine, I suppose there's nothing stopping you from traveling to the future.

The Wild West seems to be about the most popular choice, judging from what I'm seeing on the internet, and of course, everything on the internet is always correct.  Woodstock is an unexpected choice, but sounds like a good time.

6 years ago

Future seems like the right answer. Grab a bunch of cool tech, return, use that for your own personal power.

6 years ago

Just hope you can plug it all in to your power socket.

6 years ago

Late 1600's, early 1700's in the Caribbean. To be a pirate of course. As you mentioned, the reality of the time would most likely be disillusioning, but it still appeals to me. Feel I'd risk the inglorious death at sea, as a nameless pirate. Was the most successful era for piracy in the Caribbean, so I'd be giving myself the best odds in that regard. (Or perhaps the most competition.) Ah well, can't let a pesky thing like reality ruin our flights of fancy.

6 years ago

Well, that's the good thing about an imagination.  You can go places and select what you want and leave out the bad bits.

6 years ago

Something to take into consideration for traveling to the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxy6ZaMOq8

6 years ago

You'd have to brush up on your ancient languages, certainly.  It's pretty common for scifi shows to handwave the language problem involved in time travel or space travel.

6 years ago

I would like to visit my hometown in the 1880s.

6 years ago

The Victorian Era seems to be another popular time to visit.

6 years ago

I would go back about 14 hours from now and murder you violently before you could post this time travel thread.

6 years ago

But if you did, then I wouldn't have posted this thread, and then you wouldn't have had any reason to go back in time and murder me, so then I would have posted this thread.  It's a conundrum, all right.

6 years ago

Oh gods... I'm too late already.    ;)

6 years ago

I'd go back in time and fuck some spartans no doubt 

6 years ago

Well, don't forget your Trojans, then.

6 years ago
Most of these time periods, you guys would all just pass out immediately from the smell and be grossed out by chicks with rotten teeth and hairy legs. You'd also get fleas and lice and the plague, or maybe just some other kind of virus the locals are immune to but you're not because you're a pussy who's spent most of your life washing your hands with soap.

I'd probably go hang out in the mid nineties when the internet was so much better and maybe see if I could stop social media from taking off somehow if I was feeling really motivated. Might possibly also see about preventing an undisclosed number of you from being born...if for some reason I ignored the warnings of all media ever in regards to time traveling.

6 years ago

That reminds me of something we were told visiting a museum in York.  This showed conditions of life in England around the year 1000 AD, which is not so long ago, in the grand scheme of things.  A comb cost a months' wages for you typical worker, and thus they generally did without combs.  You can imagine what else they likely did without.

Interesting to think about traveling to the not so distant past.  It is sad to see the internet become more and more restricted and controlled by governments, all for our own good, supposedly.

6 years ago
16-17th century London always sounded like a dystopian hellscape. Just tip that family chamberpot right out the window and into the crowd, sure why not.

Saw a really good History channel thing on daily life there once, I wish I could remember the name of it.

6 years ago
'85 - '02 list of things to do in the years of the past:

- Buy bitcoins
- Get all the good usernames on everything; like [email protected]
- Buy big tech company stock early
- Take the day off to watch 9/11 happen live on TV
- - Convince friends and coworkers to skip the day and come over to casually watch TV with me early in the morning. Gather snacks, friends, a CD with the benny hill theme on it to play on repeat as everything goes down.
- - - Set up an intermission between planes wherein Spanish Flea plays and continues as people begin to jump.
- Start a dog shelter charity for stray animals and hop on that Sarah McGloughgan shit super early.
- Live my lifelong dream of being able to buy a burger, gas, make payments on a car, afford a house, and live mildly comfortably for a few years and retire at any age less than 80.
- Vote for romney
- Vote for obama
- Murder someone

And many other things I'll probably think of when I get there. I'll probably also mess with random people and subtly "predict" the future like "yeah damn shame the WTC got that truck bomb. They should've used an airplane or something I mean it'd do more damage y'know but oh well anyways you like Sarah McGloughgan?"

6 years ago
March 8th, 2018. I'd buy the following pairs: 43-44-54-61-69, Powerball: 22.
Then, I'd be a millionaire and have little risk for any butterfly effect of such recent travel. :)
That's how to properly time travel without being unable to communicate with the populace, being gang raped by Spartans, or dying from the Black Death.

6 years ago

it wouldn't be rape, trust me

6 years ago

I'd want to go back in time to ancient Greece and see Oedipus Rex and Antigone as they were originally performed. I know I wouldn't be able to understand the language and I'd have to disguise myself as a man, but I'd just love to see them. If there's a translator option , then I'd want to meet Sophocles and tell him how much of a fan I am. I'd also try to get copies of his lost works, or at least tell him to keep those safe because there's people a few thousand years in the future that want to read his other warped stories.

6 years ago

Go back in time to early 80s and make sure Nintendo doesn’t rise to the power it did and make sure Commodore manages to remain a viable company in the US. Probably make sure Atari doesn’t fuck up as badly as it did either.

Basically try to at least keep the console market western so we aren’t invaded by all this weeb shit later.

Yes, I know, could just drop another nuke on Japan and not rebuild the place, but I'm trying not to fuck history TOO much, just altering the video game market. (Will have to do something about EA as well)

I suppose I could assassinate any major figure (or their parents) that later on in life comes out saying video games cause violence, misogyny, etc. but the irony wouldn't be lost on me.

Plus I might kill someone like Jack Thompson or Anita only to have them replaced with someone more competent and then its an ongoing trip of assassinations and before I know it the PC Nazis have taken over the world.

6 years ago

"If Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

~Marcus Brigstocke

6 years ago

If I where to time travel somewhere in the past, it would have to 1920's prohibition-era Vegas. Booze, Bucks, and Bombs, that's all I have to say.

Solves the problem of health, rape and technology too.

Mostly.