Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Asteroid Mining and Potential Superpowers

6 years ago

The whole concept of Asteroid Mining really is getting me intrigued with these recent bills being passed in order to lay down the foundation for any future pioneers in the the possible future Enterprise.

I think it would be more feasible and lucrative to try for Asteroids instead of planets with all the talks on the valuable resources that could be harvested in order to immediately regain lost profits getting their in the first place.

I like to think that the first country to actually take advantage of it instead of a private company could very well excel their postion in the world and become a possible superpower.

It seems some asteroids have enough nickel or platinum to make a man a trillionare if the right asteroid would be harvested.

Do you guys think that it would be more beneficial to strive for Asteroid Mining instead of planetary colonization, I'm more in favor of the former, I also think that India or Russia would be one of the first countries to step into the field.

https://youtu.be/4TSiPprjloo  A video that goes a little more in depth.

6 years ago

Why the fuck do you have a tranny talking about showing you his dick as your avatar.

6 years ago

I actually don't think that's a tranny

If it is I'm going to have to have a long retrospective look on myself.

6 years ago

Well it’s not like a real girl can show you their dick so that sort of narrows it down. Probably should take that long introspective look at yourself anyway.

As for the topic, sure let’s get to mining asteroids. I’m not doing it though.

6 years ago

Did he change it just now? I was on a thread with him on it earlier like 30 minutes ago and didnt notice the amaphrodite's picture...

6 years ago

I would also agree that mining asteroids should be the next logical step then colonization. I do however wont discount the idea entirely, but it just seems like the return on it would be pretty shitty if we started doing that first. Plus asteroids are alot closer and plentiful so yea, Asteroids.

6 years ago

You contrarian fuck I basically gave people on the site a way to make money off of their writing REEEEEEEE

When we get to any decent point where we can do interplanetary travel that doesn't rely on the orbits of planets, it'd be feasible and profitable.  A few issues remain, though.

Introducing a supply of several million tonnes of ore would cause the supply of said raw material to tank (inflation).  Your trillion-dollar payoff isn't going to happen unless you intentionally bring the ore down slowly / occasionally enough so demand (and thus the price) isn't going to be majorly affected.  At that point, you might be paying more for transportation of the ore than what it's really worth.