Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

I’m new and I don’t have email... is that ok? (:

6 years ago

(:   I don’t have email and I wondering if that is ok. I personally never curse or anything of that nature, and won’t take anything personal since the people here are actually strangers who I don’t know personally. (:  I used to comment as a guest on some stories with the “ (: “ BerkaZerka’s Dead Man Walking was the first story game on this site that I read. I am not a horror fan by any means and it was on a whim that I checked the story in the first place, and I’m so glad I did! An intelligent zombie story! The writing was so impressive it made me curious what other stories were here. P.S. if it turns out I’m not allowed to have no email, which I literally do not have, and I get removed from the site then I would like to say before I’m gone: BerkaZerka is an awesome writer and I can see the makings of other awesome writers on this site. (I haven’t had the time to read everything, but I will try to read more when I have the time). (:   P.S. P.S. the fact that I don’t have email means I can only post for the public or not at all (I think).  (:

6 years ago
I think they will send the police to your house to arrest you for not having an email address and making an account here, but that's all.

I'm kidding, I don't think anyone cares that you don't have an email address! Welcome to the site.

5 years ago

(: Thank you (: I’m not always here so I may sometimes miss stuff that is going on. I appreciate that you took time to respond. (:     I have always liked the idea of stories you can choose what to do next in, and I’ve always wanted to create one, but I have this feeling it is going to be even harder to create one on here than on paper because I’m not particularly tech savvy.. and I’m slower than a snail in slow motion when it comes to writing. (:  I’ve got to check out your stories Ogre11. (: You guys are incredible writers, I wonder if I should just stay a reader :D . I would like to help if I can, I’m good at editing and I can spot misspelled words even though I’m not that good at spelling (I rely on a spellcheck). (:  I personally don’t let grammar and spelling interfere with my enjoyment of a good story, but I know some people do.  (:   I can write only as a hobby. (:  But I would be more than happy to help (or be helped), when I have the time (I need to remember to sleep sometimes). (:  

5 years ago
If you do want to write here, do take your time! Feel free to post excerpts for feedback in the forums (in the Writing Workshop) and many people here will help you. But if you just want to read, that's fine too, as I would even suggest the majority of people here are more readers than writers.

5 years ago

:) I’m using an iPhone that has auto spellchecking and yet I still write too slowly.

:) I just read your UFO at School story and I think it was great! (:

It’s  true that I do have a story or two that I would love to see written, but I wouldn’t mind if it were co-written with someone who knows what they are doing. :)

I would like to help people but I don’t know the correct way to do that. For instance, if someone wants to know a more professional way to phrase something, or a less professional way, I would be happy to offer suggestions. Or if someone wants anything spellchecked.

Edit: If anyone wants, I can search for spelling errors or similar, then send them PMs (as long as time is not of the essence, I am very good at this [This is because I use a spellcheck- then a dictionary if I’m still not sure.]). I personally don’t mind if anyone corrects me (whether or not I believe I need it), but I have no idea if it is hard to correct & perfect things in this medium. With paper it is so easy to edit. (:

5 years ago

I’m going to read more of your stories (:

5 years ago

:) I’ve got to read your Spy Mission before I die of sleep deprivation. (: Happy Easter!

5 years ago

Stop doing the smiley faces backwards though.

That could get you banned.

:)

5 years ago

:D really? :) I thought the smiley faces meant the same thing either way. I thought I looked like a distinguished smiley. Is my new tie better? :)

5 years ago

I'm pretty sure he's just josh'in ya (but you should still do it). Welcome to the site fellow, newbie!

5 years ago

:) Thank you! Forgive me for texting too slowly. :)

Happy Easter!

5 years ago

:) Are you related to BerkaZerka? I am a fan of his work. :)

5 years ago

I see that, your quite forthright about it (and no I'm not related to him, don't really know what gave you that idea xD ). Glad to see someone else using smiles more then me though ^-^ (still probably better to cool it with those somewhat tho). Good luck on the forums, reguardless!

Edit: Forgot that Berka has a penguin icon now. Alright relevancy checks out I guess...

5 years ago

Thank you! You’re so nice. You sound like a really good person. Thank you for the advice.

Do you think they wouldn’t mind if I did as Mavana suggested and only use one or less?

I hope you had an awesome Easter!

P.S. Now I’m curious what icon he used to have...

P.S. P.S. You have got quite the way with words. I can see your great sense of humor.

5 years ago

God, your so innocent xD thanks for the compliments, but I do feel your admiration should go to the more reputable members of this site (there are some people more "well-versed," in wordplay then I am; watching the humorous but constant bitching between Mizal and Steve has definitely proved that).

In response to what Mayana suggested, you shouldn't be too self conscious about it (most of the time you'll definitely anger someone anyway) but you should still listen to her.

As you read around the threads, you'll find out who you can piss off without too many repercussions and who will be able to shame you until you start to take gratification in pain (Though, honestly that's a given in any online forum).

Honestly, just take me with only a grain of salt, I'm also relatively new technically speaking. Overall, just enjoy yourself and don't piss off too many of the wrong people. Perhaps one day you will grow up to be a fine writer and a good trash talker :)

5 years ago

:) Thank you! I can’t curse though. You are so modest. The fact that you are not temperamental is a good indicator that you have a stronger sense of humor actually. A very temperamental person has less understanding of the humor around things, and thus takes offense more easily.

I appreciate all your advice and kindness.

P.S. Eeeee for some reason I can’t see the bottom half of the profile names. I’m sorry, I meant to say Mayana earlier.

P.S. P.S. I am actually just less skilled, I’m a grown up already.

5 years ago

(Hmm, well there's gonna be a lot of swearing on these forums regardless, hell one of the big reasons I'm here is to learn how to be more literate in my insults in addition to my stories)

In regards to your age, eh my bad xD

But my point still stands and you seem like a nice person. So I genuinely hope you become a better person throughout your fun here, regardless of age or skill :D

5 years ago

xD You’re hilarious! You have got great comedic skills.

Thank you! You are so full of fun. I think you are a good person.

5 years ago
Welcome to the site ^_^

5 years ago

:) Thank you (: let me know if anyone wants any help on the public forum lounge, or would like to coauthor or write some stories or brainstorm or something (:

5 years ago
Welcome~

Helpful Hint: Paragraphs are your friend!~ ;)

5 years ago

I dunno. I once saw a paragraph kick a puppy.

5 years ago

:) :D :D The great BerkaZerka! :D Thank you! :D (:

:D This is so awesome! :D You are the best writer of fiction I’ve ever read! :D

:D I’m your biggest fan! :D (and I love your profile picture too!) :D

:D This is the best Easter I’ve ever had! :D

:D Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D

5 years ago
Might want to cool it with those before End notices you exist.

5 years ago

?That sounds ominous... but I don’t understand. (:

5 years ago

I think she’s suggesting to...

Stop :D doing :D this :D before :D you :D are :D violently :D lynched ;D

5 years ago

:) Oh, thanks. Got it. (:

5 years ago

Clearly you don’t, but whatever. It’s your funeral.

5 years ago

Hmm.. uh. Now I don’t understand again. Do you mean any smileys and not just the extra happy ones?

P.S. I read your A Chosen Hero recently when I was still a guest, and it was awesome! There are so many good writers here. [invisible smile]

Happy Easter!

I don’t have your email... is that ok?

5 years ago
<.<
>.>

I feel as though there is an obvious meme at work here, but I just can't place my finger on it at the moment...

5 years ago

:) The great one BerkaZerka! I’m so honored that you would take the time to respond. I’m actually still starstruck, and I apologize if I sounded insane earlier. You really do belong up there with the greats.

The style I was writing in is a texting style that I revert back to when under time pressure or lack of sleep (or both in that case). To anyone well versed in the traditional texting lingo, I would be considered inept: I don’t have nearly enough sentence fragments or excessive uses of acronyms and abbreviations... not to mention that I text way too slowly and like to use punctuation. I would give some examples of “traditional text messages” that I have seen over the years, but I am afraid it might horrify some members of the site, for there were messages composed entirely of those little pictures they call emojis (which actually makes the term “text” a bit of an irony).

I hope you, your family, all the rest of the people who enjoy this site, had a wonderful Easter and Passover! Thank you BerkaZerka for your awesome work. (I’m your biggest fan!!!)

5 years ago
OK great but I don't think anyone here needs it explained to them what a text message is and a pointless smiley face between every other word isn't how even texting works.

My assumptions about who you actually are aside, you seem capable of communicating in English so why not just do that minus the stray colons and parentheses shotgunned across every post.

5 years ago

You guys have got a good sense of humor. I can still see that image in my head. And yes, I do understand how that can be annoying to some people.

I now recall my reaction - which was something along the lines of, “What is this madness?!” - when I first saw these things splashed all over a paragraph. Someone actually had to tell me what was meant by what looked like (I thought at the time) a mass of typos. This person who explained it was very patient with me, but I could see the disbelief in her face when I kept saying that I did not see any faces or anything in it. Now, I can find hidden smileys all over the place.

It really is another language, and it is completely unnecessary to learn it when the English language works just as well. Just as it is no longer necessary for people to memorize the entire multiplication table (all they need is the concept and a calculator). But, there is always going to be some who are going to learn stuff like this just for fun. I don’t begrudge people their fun as long as they learn the important stuff too.

Entertainment could be dismissed as unnecessary as well. Writing and reading fiction is a form of entertainment (which is something that I like to do every few years). I believe having fun with a harmless hobby is healthy. Studies have shown that happier people tend to live longer and more productive lives.

P.S. At first I thought this was a texting forum, not like the old fashioned mailbox. Don’t worry, I know now that probably most of you guys prefer English. And I’m happy to oblige.

P.S. P.S. I hope no one takes offense that it is going to take me a lot longer to reply to any questions.

5 years ago

Don't worry as long as you aren't replying like a couple months later and revive a dead thread, your fine :P

(unless your talking with one of the few members that rely upon a instant salty reaction to fuel their lifespan, you dont have to apologize for being a day late)

5 years ago

Thank you, I will try my best. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me. You are a great penguin.

5 years ago

:) Happy Easter! (:

5 years ago

By my calculations, there is a 30% chance that this guy is actually a Master Troll.

5 years ago

(Invisible smile) so there is a 60% chance I’m not?

But, seriously, I enjoy helping others when I can, and I do enjoy good-natured banter. (Invisible smile) Creativity grows best in a happy environment (I believe there have even been studies done on this).

5 years ago
I believe the others are suggesting that the presence of an excessive number of smiley faces is not conducive to this "happy environment" you speak of. I must admit that I too am prone to using them, but I try to limit it to once every few posts or so. Helping others is always an admirable goal though! That being said, you should definitely take Mizal's advice and avoid ticking off EndMaster for the sake of all of our happiness. ^_^

5 years ago

Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it. (Invisible smile) I am a fan of all nice people (invisible thumbs up & smile). There was another reason I wrote the smileys: it is because I’m literally smiling. People can’t tell sometimes when they only see text (like I’m smiling right now). A picture really is worth a thousand words. Humans are a very visual species.

5 years ago
Indeed we are, but the beauty of writing lies in the ability to convey emotions through our words.

5 years ago

True (invisible smile), but I text so slowly that if I always relied on pure text there would be times it might take me a couple of days to respond to a post, especially when I’m dying of sleep deprivation (like I have been for a few days now) (invisible smile). A lot can be conveyed with a simple smile. (Smile) Happy Easter!

5 years ago

My sleep deprived brain cannot remember for sure (invisible smile), but I think I do actually smile more when I’m sleep deprived- like I’m slap happy or something...

Edit: Aaaaa! I think I’m slap happy when I’m awake, too.

P.S. You sound like very kind human being. It was your post that actually made me seriously wonder if you guys were serious about the smileys. :) This really does look like a series of text messages...  Mayana’s post also made me realize that not all of you were kidding.

5 years ago

Hey there :) Hope you enjoy the storygames :) Maybe you'll have fun here :) Enjoy yourself and everything this place has to offer :) There's so much to enjoy :)  Feel free to ask around for help :) Okay. 

5 years ago

:) Thank you, you are very kind!

5 years ago

Oh man, thank you very much! I've always wanted to be this very kind person. surprise

5 years ago

That’s the spirit! (Smiles) Happy Easter & Passover!

5 years ago

Okay, make that 80% likely...

5 years ago

(Smile) Are you sure? Perhaps I’ve got the Easter spirit. (Smiles) Happy Easter!

5 years ago
After End notices him, he won't last a week.

5 years ago

Noticed him long ago when he was making comments as a guest.

As of right now he’s gotten enough warning from everyone about posting. His saving grace is I’m currently too busy with other things with mostly only phone internet right now and he’s kept his special brand of retardation in this thread. 

If it spreads to other parts of the forums, it’ll be the usual point docking and eventual banning.

5 years ago
It was spilling over into the Workshop which is why I warned him. Honestly my first impression was that he was an alt but I'm not rulng out the possibility of someone with a helpless compulsion to make otherwise reasonable posts into eyesores.

5 years ago
Could you try to at least limit your smileys to one per post or less? And no, that doesn't mean replacing them with (invisible smile) instead, that's even longer and just as annoying. Smileys aren't a bad thing, but everything good can become bad if you use too much of it. A little chocolate is delicious, but I'm sure you'd love it less if you had to eat only chocolate for each meal, every day.
Anyway, welcome to the site. Don't worry about the email, you'd only need one if you forgot your password. But it is interesting you don't have one, since you need it for a lot of things. If you decide to write a story, you can start a thread in the Writing Workshop to ask for help, or just as motivation. If not, there are many stories that need to be rated. If you're good at reviewing, I'm sure the authors would be happy to read your comment. Have fun!

5 years ago

Thank you, I get your point entirely.

Although, I must admit, earlier I thought you guys might have been pulling my leg because it was April fools day as well as Easter at the time, and the complaints did look suspiciously like some sort of humorous banter, or hazing of the noob, perhaps.

I realize now that the texting style can rankle some. The equivalent for me would probably be when a relative asks me to text something to someone and proceeds to complain that I capitalize the first letter of sentences or use punctuation, and then suggests I stop doing that because I’m texting the message too slowly. I would argue that capitalizations and punctuation are not why I text so slowly: it’s because my thumbs are slow.

About the email: this phone does have the capability of having email, but I would not attempt to set it up even if I knew how, because I’m not the only user of this phone. I know some of my relatives have email, but most of them use text messaging instead.

About writing and reading on the site: I might possibly be able to complete a story on this site that meets its standards, but if I do it would most likely be in the distant future. Because, as you may have noticed, even short posts take me a long time to write. Also, unfortunately, I rarely have the time to write parts of stories or read any (I’m still reading Ogre11’s awesome Spy Mission!), without detracting from my sleep (which eventually takes its toll on me mentally). And of course I want to read every story on the site, but I doubt I’ll live long enough to do so!

I appreciate the warm & or humorous welcomes. I thank you kindly.

5 years ago
Any phone that can access the internet can have e-mail. Confirmed troll.

EDIT: Oh, I really am sleep deprived, can't even read right. Berka, I might need both glorious sleep and glorious sheep. Meh, still a troll.

5 years ago

Mayana, I now have email, but I am glad I’m not required to use it here. I do appreciate your thoughts and kindness.

P.S. The most awesome person ever set it up on this phone! (I mean after Jesus of course, and I hope you had an awesome Easter and Passover!)

5 years ago

Welcome :D

5 years ago

Thank you!

And I hope you had a wonderful Easter & Passover!

5 years ago

Howdy :) kiddo :) nice :) to :) meet :) you :) !

You seem to be a good spirited person.

5 years ago

xD I’m actually a slow grown up. Thank you! I really appreciate your kindness.

It is awesome to meet you too! And I hope you had an awesome Easter and Passover!

P.S. And you are right: I do love to spread the spirit of happiness and goodness!