Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

I need help with a story

6 years ago

I'm looking for people who are really good with history. Not just that, also have neat ideas and how much stuff they can get away with. 

1) It needs to make some sort of sense.

2) People with the good understanding of beliefs and historical aspects.

3) What the main bad guy should be, act, feel, Etc.

It set's in 1666, London ( The Great Fire of London )

Any more questions will be given an answer,   

Much thanks to whoever helps.

I need help with a story

6 years ago
So you need @Will11 to give you a plot and tell you exactly what to write, okay.

I need help with a story

6 years ago

Thanks a tone, I will go see what he or she think.

I need help with a story

6 years ago

I think your main villain should be an evil, talking, cartoon parrot. Historically this makes a lot of sense - any history buff can tell you that the Great Fire of London was actually started and spread by cartoon parrot arsonists who were trying to kill alien cyborgs from the future that had traveled back in time to destroy Europe (by opening trendy coffee shops and selling designer clothes).

This doesn't even begin to cover the whole Japanese samurai work-union situation that was happening in London at the time as well.

Is that something that you plan on covering in your game? I've noticed that a lot of historians tend to leave it out when referencing the time period.

Let me know if this is helpful.

I need help with a story

6 years ago

Uhh... 

Sure! We cloud use this here, In a working order. In some weird way?

May I ask why a cartoon parrot? O-o

I need help with a story

6 years ago

You may not.

I need help with a story

6 years ago

Very much true for the moment, But I could add it in where he or she was dreaming at the time.

I need help with a story

6 years ago

Just do some research and use your imagination....like everybody else does.

I need help with a story

6 years ago

I have a couple ideas. I'll list them below.

The Benandanti:

This is more of a hypothetical idea, since therer isn't really any proof the benandanti came to London. However, with a bit of added details i think this could work well. The benandanti were members of an agrarian visionary tradition in the Friuli district of Northeastern Italy during the 16th and 17th centuries. They claimed they could leave their bodies when they went to sleep, and during this time they could leave their bodies and fight/talk to spirits. During the years 1575 to 1675, many of the benandanti were accused of witch craft (As this was when the witch trials were going on) and put to death by the Roman Inquisition, however it has been noted that this period was rather historically 'boring' as the benandanti weren't killed as much since the Inquisition wasn't as interested in them, however groups were still tried and convicted of witchcraft. An interesting idea could be a group of benandanti escape to England on the run from inquisitors, in the year 1666. Maybe the benandanti come to London in secret (As, historically speaking, there isn't really any proof benandanti came to London). An idea could be the protagonist accidently finds the meeting. As the benandanti were seen as a cult, this could go along well. The protagonist could overhear a conversation of burning the city down, as to free spirits trapped under cursed land, or maybe 'cleaning the land of sin', and so the protagonist tries to warn people but no one listens. Maybe the benandanti hurt/kill people he's close to, to get him to keep quiet, and so the problem becomes personal. Eventually, it can all escalate to the protagonist battling the cult leader as all of London is engulfed in flames. (This idea could easily be replaced with some other extremist group or cult around the 1660s as well, just thought the benandanti would be interesting subjects).

The Second Anglo-Dutch war:

The Second Anglo-Dutch war went on between 1665 to 1667, between the English and Dutch Republic for control of the seas and trade. Since this war is a large conspiracy as for why the fire began, you'll already have a bunch of ideas to mess around with if you wanted to look it up a bit more. Basically, this war was mostly naval. A common theory is that it was started by the dutch. Reports came of people seening men throwing fireballs, or custom grenades, at certain buildings when the fire started. This eventually turned into mob violence, where people would attack any dutch or Frenchmen they saw in London. Maybe your protagonist is actually a bad guy, and he's the one who threw grenades and started the fires. Another idea is maybe the protagonist sees his father or brother getting beat up by a mob, so he goes on a mission to find the real culprits. Maybe these villains actually are Dutch, or maybe it was started by a naval officer who used to have a lot of power in the government, but lost his position and became a ship captain instead. The captain started the fire only to get revenge on the house of his superiors that denoted him, but accidently set everything on fire, or maybe he purposely set all of London on fire instead. The protagonist eventually faces off with the captain/whoever started the fire.

I'm a big history nerd, so if you didn't like these ideas I'd be happy to suggest other ones as well. If you did like them, and have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer. Thanks, hope these helped.

(I also just realized this thread was from 20 days ago. Hopefully I'm still on time to help.)

I need help with a story

6 years ago

I really like that idea :D

I need help with a story

6 years ago

Glad I could help :D