Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Standards for Story Length Settings

6 years ago

If we haven't already done so, is there some way we can establish word count standards for story length?  Because I'd say a lot of stories are highly inaccurate.  For example, I'll see some stories that'll be in the 4-6 length range and be 100,000 words or so, and then others in the 4 range that are 2,000-6,000 words in length.  

As you can see there are some stories like newer ones called The Kings Successor, and Androidic Purge which are super short but have a length of 4.  Then meanwhile we have other stories which are rated at 6-7 which have a lot more words.

Look at a bunch of stories word count compared to the length the author set, it's not any of the authors faults but they are extremely inconsistent, which leads to disappointment when you see a 6 length rated story thats only 2,000 words.

Thoughts and opinion?  Feel free to share you vile fiend bags.

Edit: Shout out to BerkaZerka for having over one million words in his Dead Man Walking story, that is a huge amount of dedication.

6 years ago

Story length is already set automatically and the algorithm—the specifics of which I believe are shrouded in secrecy—takes into account more than just word count.

6 years ago

Oh shit, I always thought it was something the author set themselves.  Been on this site since 2015 and never noticed :D 

Still though, it does seem largely inconsistent with the word count and length, although I suppose there are other factors to take into account, but still.  I feel like it's kind of a hit or miss on the accuracy.

6 years ago
It might also count scripting into the length (but not the word count). Some storygames have a crapton of scripting, but it is (mostly) not counted towards the word count.

6 years ago
Can we see examples of some of the extremes you're mentioning here, like a 100k story only listed as a 6/8? or a 6/8 that's only 2000?

I've always thought there should be more of a gap between the lengths considering anything up to a 4/8 is super simple and some of the 8/8s go well beyond what's required for an 8/8 with no way to indicate the difference, but I don't think I've seen any obvious inconsistencies. Keep in mind things like scripting and number of choices are also taken into account.

6 years ago
60,000 words is pretty much a guarantee to be a 7/8 in length.

The program takes, pages, word count, scripts, and links into consideration. So a script heavy game can have a longer length than another with a heftier word count.

6 years ago

Alright, I guess that makes sense.  Its just a bit disappointing to see certain stories be counted at a length of 4 but have less than 5,000 words.  And then a 5 or 6 with a lot more words. 

Guess I should stop my baseless grumbling and rambling on this for now though lol

6 years ago
I think 3J had been talking about adjusting the algorithm last time he was here, but he never got around to it before he disappeared. He was beating himself up about having about a one year absence previously, and it's been a year since he was here last again. So maybe he'll be due for an appearance in the next six months.

6 years ago
He's been subtly doing things here and there every few months. Nothing big, butt stuff. Although he hasn't logged on in a while he's been active in some small way. Unless it's alexp doing the little changes around the sites' code, but I doubt that.