Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

How do you get from one chapter to the next?

5 years ago

Hi, yea I'm new. So, I started just with everything in one chapter, but of course there were so many pages. So I figured I'd try to start a second chapter, but I can't figure out how to get from one of my pages in the first chapter to one of the pages in the second chapter. The second chapter pages don't show up when you link to another page, and when I link to the chapter it doesn't seem to work, it won't go there. I tried the help and info section but the post that says it would explain how to use chapters only explains pages and variables and drops... 

Please help? I wish I could move a page from one chapter to another. Is that possible?

5 years ago
Use $DEST = @P16 (or whatever the number of the page is) to jump around to wherever. If you select the chapter itself in the dropdown it'll go specifically to whatever you have set as the first page in it, so you may just not have that set.

5 years ago

Thank you very much! Where do you type that in?

5 years ago
First make sure you have all the advanced options turned on in your editor settings, then just put it in the link script. (The icon next to the link name. Page script meanwhile will always refer to the one next to page title just fyi.)

5 years ago

Ok, I'm still having problems. On chapter 2 it says my start page, but when I try the link from chapter 1 it still says there's no link to chapter 2. And I tried the scripting thing, I tried typing it in different places, it always says it wasn't expecting those characters. First it was the =, so I wrote it without that and then it was the @ so I took that out and then it said it didn't recognize the P! So I gave up. But I really need to get back to chapter 1, it was just one of four story lines I put on chapter 2, but I need to put a way to get back to the other 3 from chapter 1. Sorry I am just clueless :-/ I do appreciate all the help, but you can stop anytime you get tired of trying to explain things to me ??

5 years ago
For chapters, whatever you name the chapter will be the link destination. For example, if I name a chapter "Chapter 2," then when I am in any page and I click the "Add Link" button, there should be an item in the list to select destinations that says "Chapter 2." It won't say the name of the page in the chapter, but should have the actual chapter name.

5 years ago
This, and also I just noticed I typoed the example I favr.

It's $DEST := @P

The := always means 'set to' in the editor, a plain equal sign is used for IF statements.

5 years ago

Now it's letting me do the script like that, but it isn't taking me to that page. The only way I can find to get a button to change the script is to add a link to a page in that chapter or a new page, but changing the script seems to do nothing then and just goes to the pagearth like normal, like changing the script didn't do anything. I wish I could just see what you guys are doing haha.

5 years ago
I'll be home in a bit, I'll see if I can create a visual aid.

5 years ago

That is so nice of you! I actually think I may have gotten it though!! So, it says on the page that it's going to such and such a page, but when I actually previewed it it DOES take the player to the page I wrote in the script!!! Thank you so much!! :D

5 years ago
Ah, NVM, you got it. Yes, you can edit the text in that link to say whatever you like.

5 years ago
Okay, glad you got it, just let us know if you run into any more issues.

Whatever page you had linked was the default destination, what's in the link script gets processed first though so $DEST is essentially a hijack. The main use for it is actually in IF statements, basically you'd have it check a variable and redirect the player to a different page if certain conditions were met.

5 years ago

Thank you both for all your help :)

5 years ago
Ok, here you go:

Step 1: Locate the page to which you want to go in the other chapter. Next to the name of that page there will be a number in square brackets, something like [#8] New Page. Take note of that number.
Step 2: Go to the page where you want to create a link TO that page in the other chapter (hereafter called page 8). Edit that page.
Step 3: On that page, add a new link. The destination page does not matter. For this example, I'm selecting the current page. Click okay on the add a new link page.
Step 4: You are still editing the FROM page. You have just added a new link. On the line with that new link click on the script button (that's the button with the colon and the equals sign := ).
Step 5: That will open a script window. In the Edit Script window type $DEST := @P8
Replace the 8 with the page number you found in Step 1.
Step 6: Save that script, then close and save changes.

Ta Da! Test your story, and that should do it.

5 years ago
Yes, the idea behind chapters was more of a "choke point." In other words, the way this was designed, it was intended that you wouldn't be bouncing around a lot between chapters. Instead, linking to a chapter links you to the start page (as mentioned here), but there's not a menu-driven way to jump to different places in the chapter from other chapters.

You can, if you like, work around that using scripting and the DEST variable, as mizal mentioned. But in general I've found it easier to only use additional chapters when you do have that clear separation between sections of the story.

5 years ago

Thanks!

5 years ago

Yes, I think you are right, I wish I hadn't tried another chapter.