Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi :)

5 years ago

Hello I'm KC, I'm 20 and Canadian. I've been looking for some sort of CYOA site like this and am very excited to have found this one! I will primarily be a reader but maybe in the future (once I understand how the platform works a little better) I will try to write a story. 

One thing I can say is that after reading through a couple forums, it seems like you all have made a really cool, inclusive and generally nice community! Which I think deserves some major kudos! 

I've only completed one story so far (Mommy something... sorry I forgot the whole name) and got 1000 points and finished it but it ended sort of abruptly but I didn't die... so I'm was little confused. Did I win? Because it didn't feel like it. People were talking in the comments about an ~item~ of which I didn't find any pieces so I don't know how I got to 1000 points without finding that. (I tried looking at the "articles" for help with this sort of basic reader question, but mostly the articles are geared towards first-time writers). So if anyone would have some explanation about what's considered "winning" or even just "completing" a game would be helpful. 

Thanks! I'm excited to do some more exploring. 

5 years ago

:) Hi! Welcome! This site has a ton of awesome stories/games on it, and I have only been able to read/play a few so far. If you would like, I will use copy and paste to recommend to you what I recommend to others:

I especially recommend the works by BerkaZerka, Ogre11, and EbonVasilis. So far I have only been able to read some of each of their impressive works in the limited time I am here. I suspect all their works are awesome!

BerkaZerka’s Dead Man Walking (Zombie Survival) is extremely well written [I managed to get the best possible ending!] and kept my eyes glued to the phone I use (though it does have violence/gore and some language), he has also got great puzzles and games (Some of which I have still not completed. They’re awesome!). Ogre11’s awesome works I have read/played so far include: Spy Mission (You gotta see the different endings), Cryogenic Failure (Again, you gotta see the different endings), UFO at School, Alien Abduction, Finding the Muse (this will definitely help aspiring writers). Of EbonVasilis’s works, so far I have read his epic A Chosen Hero (I’ve got to read more of his works!). I have also played DavidG’s The Tower of Rowena, played Zephyrme2847’s & mudshadow63’s [and they, amazingly, were only 11 and 4 when they created this!] Kittens of FAT, played cMitchell3’s Get out Alive, read Will11’s true story Climbing Beyond The Clouds, read MinnieKing’s inspirational message Addition, and read the short mouse hero story by pinkalily21, Alone in the Forest. There are great writers and future great writers to be found on this site.

I am unfamiliar with the story you mentioned, but undoubtedly someone else has come across it and might have more information about it. Of the stories I listed, I believe the author will either tell you how many endings there are or will give you a hint as to what the best ending should be. If you have any questions about a story I have read, I might be able to supply more information on it if you want.

I hope you have an awesome time on the site!

P.S. That is an awesome beetle picture!

5 years ago

Thanks for recs I will check some of those out for sure! 
I have noticed the authors tend to tell you how many endings there are which is nice. After reading through a few shorter stories, I believe in this Mommy Let's Go Killing (? its something like that) I got to an end, but not like the big ding! ding! ding! end that I could necessarily boast! :P

Also thank-you, I'm glad you like my beetle picture :) I find bugs to be generally really cute. 

5 years ago

:) You are most welcome! And that is definitely a cute bug.laugh

5 years ago

Hey there. This here is a gem of a site, and I'm afriad you won't find anything like it. You really can't beat the community here. Have fun reading and (eventually) writing, and don't be shy, go ahead and take part of the discussions and squablles here on the forums.

i hope to see more of you around!

5 years ago
Hi, welcome to the site! It's interesting you think our community is so nice, there are plenty of people that think we're all a bunch of meanies and haters. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the site! If you're looking for more stuff to read, the featured stories are a good start.

Spoilers:
It's been a while since I played mommy, but I think you have to collect pieces of a medallion or something like that. You get one for writing a note to someone, one for making a weapon, and one more by just giving the previous two to someone. There might be one more, I'd need to play it again. After you have the whole medallion, you need to just use it at the end of the story to win.

5 years ago

Interesting about the medallion (which I think was called a talisman in the story). I went through the story a couple of times and couldn't find anything remotely like that. HOWEVER, I did just discover the Back button which saves repeating 50+ pages just to try a different link (which I did a number of times.... like a doofus!). Is the Back button considered "cheating"?   

5 years ago

:) I guess it depends on who you ask, I think you should do whatever helps your enjoyment of the story more.

5 years ago
Yeah, it's a talisman, damn my bad memory. No, the back button isn't cheating; if it was cheating, it wouldn't be here at all. It can be a useful way to get to the previous page when you get to an ending, so you don't have to restart every time. There might be a score penalty for using the back button in Mommy, so check if your score goes down after pressing it. There's no penalty for just using backspace, though.

5 years ago
welcome