Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

GetWrecked proves mercy a mistake

5 years ago

Please!  Can someone help me get a Star Wars story started?  I've got the grammar down, but not the ideas!  Help? 

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

That is a very wide timeline to try to pick a starting point try to narrow it down to an era & pick from a group of starting points

Original SW movie era

Prequel movie era

Awakens era

KoToR/ToR era

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

Read.   Reading good stuff across a variety of genres can help you come up with original ideas. Reading can also give you an idea about building stories.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
Reposting from the other thread:

If you don't have even the first inkling of a plot then you don't have a story to tell, so you don't really have any reason for writing.

I have a hard time believing you think 'Star Wars...' and then your mind is just this complete serene blank, but if that's the case then maybe you should be thinking about writing something you do have ideas about.

(And now I'm deleting the other thread and moving this one to the correct board. Please don't make another.)

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
Okay, actually, I'm really tempted to ban you right now, but instead I will be merciful and allow you to keep ONE account. (If you do anything to annoy me then that one will be gone too just fyi.)

GetWrecked
NitroPenguin
LandenBeastModeBoi
StarWarsGeek
Bossss45
BossssBoi79

Which one will it be?

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
@BossssBoi79

You have ten minutes to reply.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

oh hell Mizal has the whip out

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

SORRY!  Okay, I have ideas!  I just don't know what to do with 'em!

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

Oh, BossssBoi49!

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
That account doesn't exist, but as you wish.

Also it appears to me you're getting your little brother executed along with the others, but no great loss.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
It is done. 'BossssBoi49' may stay as requested.

The fact that that user does not exist is none of my concern, and I've banned all the rest.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

How about write about a member of Jabba the Hutt's family who doesn't want to be a galactic gangster, but wants to do a kind of Peace Corps thing on a backwards planet. And the natives can be these six-limbed insect creatures who walk upright and act a little like the Massi of East Africa (including the part about drinking their cattle's blood)?

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
I have temporarily unbanned the GetWrecked account as I've determined it to have the least stupid name as well as being the only alt you've actually done things with.

This is on the condition that by the end of next Sunday you read and write substantial reviews about three storygames rated 6/8 or higher. This will help you learn what a good story is supposed to look like as well as think about what actually makes it good before you go on with one of your own.

If you can't perform this simple task to save your account, you must not really want one after all.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
I made this decision after also banning Duuuude34 btw. You seem to have some kind of tragic flaw in judgment when it comes to picking usernames, but I'll chalk that up to still being in elementary school. If you survive the next couple of years, you will thank me for not letting you be saddled with any of those.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

I thought Nitro Penguin was the best. GetWrecked is still cringy as shit.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
NitroPenguin appears to be his ten year old brother and had written seven words of something called 'Harry Potter Chose your story'.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

What were the other two words?

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
Entire text of the story was 'What is your Gender ' and 'Whats is your house?'

So, eight words, my bad.

The GetWrecked account actually published a Star Wars story that probably would've squeaked by on ratings if it had been proofread and hadn't done the to be continued thing.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
As far as ideas go though, first just decide what kind of character you want to write about. Next, the setting. That's already covered in part since you're just doing fanfiction, but Star Wars is a big setting that covers a lot of time periods so you'll have to narrow that down.

Then you decide what the character's goals will be, what the major obstacle will be in achieving them, and how they go about overcoming them. (or failing to -- and for a CYOA you need both)

So basically it's the same as any other story, just for a CYOA you need to think of alternate ways it all could play out and write those too.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago

New person, it works pretty simple. There's, like, three ways you can go about it, depending on what it is that actually appeals to you.

1. The Adventure Continues!: Simply put, maybe the reason you want to write Star Wars is pretty simply because the adventures, Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie going off and doing shit, was what you loved. Thus, given how the story ends, it's pretty easy to just do a continuation of their tale, a sort of "What happened between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens?" There was still a huge Empire to be destroyed, and the gang and the rebels, or new republic, or whatever, would've still had a lot of shit to do after Endor. Thus, you could set your story there, like Star Wars Battlefront II did. 

2. Exploring Hidden Depths: Maybe you like the parameters of the story, but want a bit more freedom than working with the cast. So, you can expand on the mindsets of characters we haven't dealt with. This has been done to shit by the Expanded Universe, but whatever. We have endless cool characters in Star Wars who weren't expanded on in the film, be it the Bounty Hunters, those in Jabba's or wherever. You could easily expand on the thoughts and feelings of one of those characters, and there perspectives of things. You could explore one of Vader's personal stormtroopers marching with him onto the Tantive-IV, seeing what we saw as heroes being gunned down instead as akin to a military force wiping out a terrorist cell. 

3. The Universe is Your Oyster: This one's my favorite. Maybe you like the Star Wars universe, but you want freedom to write. So, simply set the story in the Star Wars world, and do whatever the hell you want. Really, any type of story can fit in a Star Wars realm. A heist story of smugglers trying to rob Moff Tarkin's personal treasures. A gangster story of a Hutt Money Man rising to power. A war story of beaten down clone troopers trying to hold off against endless foes. A monster movie of a bizarre alien terrorizing a town. Take the universe Star Wars is set in, and make it your playground. Write whatever story you want in the realm.

Star Wars Ideas

5 years ago
Type4Life banned.

So is this how it's gonna be? You stop all communication, ignore my attempts to reach out and work with you and I just keep banning your alts?

Your original story had potential, 3iguy and I both took the extra time to message you about it, but you seem determined now to go the way of so many others. Sad!

GetWrecked proves mercy a mistake

5 years ago
Oh right, forgot about this. GetWrecked is now banned. Mostly a formality since he clearly had little interest in writing and never even bothered to log back into that account, choosing to just make more alts instead for one of the laziest trolling attempts I've ever seen.

Anyway we have a few other people interested in working on Star Wars fic now and no longer need to pay any heed to this small retard child.