Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Short Story Prompts

5 years ago
Anybody have some good prompt ideas? I'm bored and would like to throw together a short story or two.

Short Story Prompts

5 years ago

The main character discovers a crack in the wall of his/her basement.  He/she squeezes through, and, after a long walk down a narrow corridor, arrives at a magnificent underground chamber, filled with gems.  It is the throne room of the Gnome King!  The king welcomes the main character, and offers to let him/her take any jewel he/she pleases.  Is it an act of genuine generosity, or a trap of some kind?

Short Story Prompts

5 years ago
Here's a sci-fi one I gave to one of Lar's prisoners in the Discord. (He discarded it and is languishing in there still.)

A crew is flying out to a small colony on an out of the way planet to check on a signal from a distress beacon. When they arrive everything seems fine and the colonists apologize and say it must've been old equipment glitching out. One of the crew gets sidetracked as they're leaving however and stumbles across a pit containing bodies identical to the colonists they just spoke to. What's their next move and what's actually going on there?

Short Story Prompts

5 years ago

I haven't discarded it, just left it to lie for a while until I can actually write worth a damn

Short Story Prompts

5 years ago
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll get started on these as soon as I get home from work.

Short Story Prompts

5 years ago

“It's over now, Benny boy.” says a familiar voice from the shadows. “you’ve lost.”

“You’ve lost.” Not only did that sentence sting to hear, but it killed me. Who knew just two simple words could hurt so much? They started to echo in my head, over and over and over again. I allowed my head to hang. There was nothing I could possibly do. He was right; I had lost. I lost yet again.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be about but I guess it's up for interpretation

I've been told that I’m impatient. I couldn’t deny that; I've always hated waiting. I avoid waiting in lines whenever possible, but this is the one time I will ever wait longer than I need to. I've already waited 15 minutes since I arrived. That's 15 minutes longer than I am normally willing to wait and probably 15 minutes longer than I should have to wait.

I’m currently waiting at a rather fancy - yet expensive - restaurant. They wrap their silverware in this cloth-like substance (I’m not entirely sure what it is, honestly) and then place it down to right of the dish. I’m not sure why they do it on the right side, probably because most people are right handed? I’m not sure.

The reason I’m waiting is because I signed up to a dating site online and was paired with someone not too far from my home. We’re going to have dinner tonight at this place. I’ve never been to this restaurant but I quite like it.

But… is that...? Could it be her? StarPower2000? She looks like the profile picture, that’s for sure.

This is one I just edited. It was much worse before now. You can decide how the night goes.