Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Telltale Games shuts down

5 years ago

I lost interest in them shortly after Walking Dead season 2, so I stopped keeping up on them, I thought they were doing well though. Then again they were spread out quite a bit with all the IPs they had, probably should have of just focused on a couple.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/report-telltale-games-shutting-down-the-wolf-among-us-2-and-stranger-things-canceled

5 years ago
Weird, I thought they were pretty successful. I'd almost suspect it's going to turn out somebody fucked up with finances somewhere given how sudden this was.

But lol, hey at least they're still working on the Minecraft thing amiright?

5 years ago

I played the first season of their GoT game about 3 years ago, but similarly didn't keep up with them afterwards. I know the Walking Dead series was very successful though, and never would have expected them to suddenly shut down like this.

I agree that the amount of IP rights they paid for must have played a part in this (along with general mismanagement of their projects it seems). Yeah, they probably should have developed far fewer series and focused more on some of their own IP (i.e. Tales from the Borderlands), instead they decided to keep running a number of expensive projects without really taking major steps (tech or notoriety-wise) with any of them.

Meanwhile, Ubisoft on twitter cut to the chase lol (don't know how much of this is just for PR, but I hope some of those guys can take advantage of the opportunity).

@DarkSpawn might be interested in this thread given his avatar.

5 years ago
Well that's cool of them, I hope it works out. The game industry has always been so brutal about 'well you worked insane hours and destroyed your life over this project, thanks, now you're fired'.

5 years ago
That's too bad, I really enjoyed their Walking Dead games.0

I wonder if this has anything to do with them not fixing bugs in their games? I know Walking Dead Season 2 was riddled with them and they were never fixed. I haven't played any of their games since then so I don't know if that is typical of their more recent work, but it seems like that could affect things for them.

5 years ago

According to this article, it may very well be.

5 years ago
Thanks, I had a feeling it at least had a hand in it. I hated how in season 2 of the walking dead game choices would come up blank and I would just have to hope for the best or replay 20 minutes of game play only to have the same thing happen and make the wrong choice again. It's a shame really, the game was otherwise fantastic.

5 years ago

I never experienced any bugs in any of their games thankfully.

I played both Walking Dead seasons and the 400 days episode, and I got to the middle of the GoT one and then I never got around to completing it due to them taking so fucking long with the last episodes and by that time I had switched out my 360 for a PS4 and didn't feel like doing the shit all over again. Never felt like getting into other Walking Dead games since as I said, I just sort of lost interest for various reasons.

The only other game they came out with that I had some interest in was the Borderlands one, but I was sort of burned out on that setting having played the hell out of the 2nd game and all the major expansions for it.

5 years ago

For fuck's sake, CoG's got the same thread about this topic and it's already fucking locked.

closed 3 hours ago

I’ll reopen this in a couple of hours. Take the time to calm down and reflect on what is appropriate and on-topic.

Someone accidently called someone by the wrong pronoun again. CoG might as well baby proof their whole goddamn forum.

5 years ago
Causal Visitor: The whole damn forum is locked!

Noob: What happened?

Casual Visitor: Someone accidentally called someone by the wrong pronoun . . . again.

Noob: Again?

5 years ago

It's the first time I've visited CoG (I know of its existence only thanks to this forum) and it really is surreal, feels like being in a very extensive parody. 

If you feel morbid enough, here's the atrocious crime (obviously under "hidden content").

And they never reopened the thread lol.

5 years ago
I sensed a stink in the air after they had announced season 2 of GoT but had absolutely no updates on it since the initial announcement. Very disappointing, as I was really looking forward to it despite a strong gut feeling that it was never going to happen.

They fired a whole bunch of people a while ago, and that's obviously never a good sign. I feel like they were pretty popular, so this has to have something heavily to do with poor management and leadership.

5 years ago

Shows that companies have absolutely no loyalty to their employees. They will work you to death and then shitcan you. Game devs can't unionize fast enough 

5 years ago

This is unexpected. The first walking dead game was very good, and the ones after that were ok. The only other game of theirs that sucked me in was GoT. But then again, after a while they really started to bore me with the whole feeling of irrelevance their stories acquired when you would arrive at the same damn endings regardless of your choices. I stopped following them after borderlands precisely because of the "illusion of choice" that plagued their games. GoT and season 2 of TWD where the only ones who didn't suffer from this in my opinion, and actually made me feel like my choices mattered. Anyway, I always hoped they would continue GoT but that clearly isn't happening anytime soon. 

5 years ago
'Illusion of choice' is why I never had any real interest in them, people would talk about playing through twice picking the opposite choices and still having the same things happen.

Still there was apparently a lot of meddling and forcing them to rush so I doubt the games being shit was the devs' fault. Just another case of the most clueless and douchebaggy people somehow winding up in charge of things that could've been cool and running them into the ground.

5 years ago

RIP The Wolf Among Us 2.

The first TWAU was the best Telltale Game, change my mind.

5 years ago

That was a weak and boring game, and you should feel bad.

5 years ago

Steve, stop pretending I care about what you think.

5 years ago

Disappointing that TWD The Final Season is reportedly being canceled halfway through.

5 years ago

Only enjoyed the Wolf Among Us game. Sad the sequel got canned.

5 years ago

Looks like season 4 will be like the next Half-Life 3 lol.

5 years ago

Really not so much of a surprise when they began losing out to games of similar formula with plots featuring magical time travelling lesbians. 

5 years ago

Are you referring to Life Is Strange? Because that's not Telltale, and to be fair, wasn't a major downgrade except for the end and certainly didn't have a similar formula.

5 years ago
I enjoyed Life is Strange. It's not something I would play through repeatedly, but it was fun. I never actually went down the lesbian route (nothing against lesbians, I just didn't like Chloe.)

5 years ago

To loose out to: "to be defeated or bested by someone or something."

I'm pretty sure she knew that Life Is Strange wasn't Telltale.

5 years ago

Right you are, undr.

But let us just imagine that if telltale actually did make LIS, then it would be a strong possibility of no season 2 and also no potential of more time shenanigan adventures with close friends/possible lesbians/depending on your choices, etc. 

It's almost a sad thought. 

5 years ago

If Telltale had made LIS, one of the two main close friends/possible lesbians would already be dead.

Edit: Oh right she *SPOILER* is (in the sensible ending).

5 years ago

Well great, I actually managed to write loose instead of lose while bitching about its meaning.

5 years ago

I heard it was because of poor management choices and workplace toxicity.

5 years ago

Looks like they might be trying to complete the final season of Walking Dead.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/24/17899006/the-walking-dead-telltale-final-season-could-happen

5 years ago

broke: paying your employees a severance package 

woke: shitcanning them without warning 

bespoke: shitcanning them without warning, then conscripting them to work on a third season of a game that only tards like 

5 years ago
Finally those fools! I hate that company, and I had hoped that they would die a most horrible death. Good riddence. Incredibly awesome! I had hoped that they would shut down soon. With those games with endless QTE's and making us buy chapters of games instead of the full games. Although, I must admit, from a production standpoint, they were actually god games.

5 years ago
The people who lost their jobs didn't really have all that much to do with why the games sucked. They didn't have much creative control, they certainly didn't get to decide how games were released and marketed and there was a ton of exec meddling forcing them to rush and cut corners.

5 years ago

All the blindys are coming out of their caves all of a sudden. Mayana must have bat squeaked some general alarm.