Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

Recently (just barely) I found this blog by this guy named Neil Pasricha called 1000 Awesome Things. I found this while I was looking up what sand felt like for my storygame when I came across it. Apparently sand is really good for your feet.

I was reading about what this guy had to go through, and I gotta admit it was quite heartbreaking and yet inspiring at the same time. While he wasn't beaten as a child or abused in any relationships (at least from what I read about him), he was divorced simply because his wife just didn't love him anymore. He started writing the blog not long before she decided to leave him. He seemed to notice they were drifting apart and yet still didn't see it coming. It made him devastated.

Despite this, he stole wrote every day (is what it says, at least) about one awesome thing. Some are quite interesting, like the sand one I mentioned a moment ago. Did you know that it can clear your pores?

I guess I bring this up because I found it inspiring and mildly interesting, and I thought you all might find it interesting as well. I'd like to hear which awesome thing you think is the best on the list.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago
I don't like sand. It's all coarse, and rough, and irritating. And it gets everywhere....

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

It has its ups and downs

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago
You had to look up what sand felt like? But you're right, it is an ispiring story.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

Yeah, like I said, it's for a storygame. I've never been to a proper beach. Even if I have, I can't remember what it was like at all.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

I'm sorry, the only thing that happened to the dude was that he was divorced in a reasonably amicable manner? Big whoop, how the fuck is that depressing? This sounds like the shittiest excuse ever for a change your life bullshit story. Fuck this pussy, he sounds boring as shit.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

The things he writes about are still interesting nonetheless. He also has some general life advice as well that isn't amazing but is still good, I suppose.

And I can't possibly argue for anyone thinking it's depressing, nor could I argue against them, so I guess I agree with you?

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

No, the overall idea of focusing on the positive things and having stoicism is definitely a very good idea and good to follow, I agree. The idea that a fair and amicable divorce is some big tragedy annoyed me, however. The rest is whatever, I don't particularly care for his list or advice because I don't need it, but good for him for being positive.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

To me it was just interesting enough to bring up is all. Not inspiring, but not boring, just mildly interesting.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago
Slavery isn't on there. Shit list.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

Why stop at slavery? I could probably double the length of that list if I really wanted to just by starting with slavery. It could escalate to things like genocide or even mass extinction. Hell, why not end all life as we know it? Nuclear bombs are by far the greatest invention in history and we don't even bother to use them? What's up with that?

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

How are nuclear bombs the greatest invention in history at all?

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago
ikr. They don't even come close to the second wheel in terms of importance.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago
Ah, the upgrade from the wheelbarrow to the cart.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

Satire

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

That's not how satire works.

1000 Awesome Things

5 years ago

Yes, actually, it is; overexaggeration is a form of satire. It was also partly sarcasm, which is also a form of satire