Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What To Do For My First Storygame?

5 years ago

Alright, so I just signed up here and I have a few vague ideas for my very first story game on this site and I wonder if I can bounce some ideas off you guys if that is okay. Any sort of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My first idea is something with a military or paramilitary theme, most likely set in the Cold War or possibly going with a theme around a zombie apocalypse or counter-terrorist missions

My second idea is a medieval-themed story, but I am torn between a historical medieval setting or a fantasy story in the style of Dungeons & Dragons or The Elder Scrolls

Finally, I have an idea for another variant on the military or paramilitary theme, and that is a story about sentient toy soldiers inspired by stuff like Toy Story, Small Soldiers, and Army Men.

Which of the three ideas do you guys think has the most potential for further development? Of all the ideas, I want to do the third one the most, but I am afraid a story about toy army men may be a little too niche of a concept.

5 years ago
I like the third one too honestly. I love fantasy but we've got a lot of fantasy writers here already, and zombies have had their day.

And I always recommend picking the idea you're most passionate about and just writing what you enjoy without worrying too much about anyone else. CYOAs can be a lot of work and above all you want to pick a plot you're truly interested in that will be able to maintain your interest enough to see it through.

5 years ago

I'm inclined to agree and the good thing about my army men/toy soldiers idea is that you can include all sorts of different types of toy soldiers or miniature figures and have wild and crazy storylines similar to a kid playing make-believe battles with his toy soldiers

5 years ago

I think the one of most interest to you is the one you should write. Let's be honest, you might start one project, but you'll be thinking about the one that you're interested in the most while writing. It's the economics of attention. That being said, I wouldn't worry about the niche thing, because a lot of the people here aren't incredibly stuck on the concept of the story.  Write your interests and if you put in the effort to make it good, the readers will find it.

As a professional writer, one might have to consider the audience, but this site is beautiful in that the interested audience will find your story.  So write your story, enjoy the process, and develop your story and, importantly, yourself.

To directly answer your question, I would personally enjoy reading option one or three.   I think more so the third option, for being most different.  Whichever way you go, have fun! 

5 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I have decided I will definitely go with the living toy soldiers route and now I need to start outlining a basic frame for the story and also try out some of the story games others have posted on here.

5 years ago

You should always do what you're most interested in because it makes seeing it through much easier. I've always been partial to fantasy and war stories, so I think they all have some potential. The toy soldiers sound interesting, and it would be nice to see how it develops.

5 years ago

I think option three has the most potential (especially since it’s what you want to do) and is unique. I think you mentioned toy story in another thread and that also sounds wonderful. This site gives you a lot of power to take a story in many directions so you can play around with that story adding different story lines as you see fit. For example you can make your story and then add options for the reader to choose what kind of toys your army men are fighting against. Then you can branch out to have a army men vs troll doll, army men vs robots, and army men vs aliens all in one story. Keep in mind that each storyline exponentially increases the amount you have to write, but you get the idea. 

Let me know if you end up writing something! Even before it’s done you can share it (or not share it if you want) so I would love to check it out!

5 years ago
I vote for a story about sentient toy soldiers made from wood carvings set in a D&D universe during a zombie apocolypse during a cold war between two kingdoms.

5 years ago

Just put the table cloth over your head and eat with your hands.

5 years ago
With the military theme - why not do a story set in WWII, where you get to play a Nazi protagonist, who, while a Nazi, really just signed on due to the other option being a firing squad. Maybe he has a soft spot for Jews and goes all Schindler's List or something.

Bonus points for somehow including Hitler in a tastefully done way.

5 years ago

Oh yeah, that reminds me, that bonus points thing is something we should do more. Instead of contests, someone says their general story, and a mod offers them points if they can do something like tastefully including Hitler, or adding a scene where a dragon devours a magician, or something fun like that, success based on the mod's discretion. That'd be fun.

5 years ago

As the author of the Escape! series, I would have to pick idea #1: Zombie Apocalypse theme. Also, look at the bottom of my profile.

5 years ago
You necroed someone else's thread about choosing what storygame to do next. You didn't contribute anything to it, but instead tried to use it for your own retarded storygames. You did all that, even though you already made your own thread for just that. Congratulations.

5 years ago

You do realize i'm 8 and don't know every single word in the english language.

5 years ago
Banned.

5 years ago
I was just about to point this one out to you...

5 years ago

That kid was retarded. On behalf of everyone, thank you 

5 years ago
Most of you are retarded, but I'm not going to have an eight year old underfoot regardless. Just too many potential problems there, I don't know what the hell parents are thinking sometimes.

5 years ago

Yikes. Sucks to be that kid.

Anyway, while this chain is alive, I will tell anyone who wonders what storygame they should make:

Literally any bloody thing that interests you!

I have seen stories that logically had every reason to succeed fail. Likewise, I have seen stories that are just insane sell well. The difference lies in the author's interest in their work. I personally love reading the passion-packed works of other people, even if the story's idea itself is unusual.

Cheers!

5 years ago

Apologies for the thread necromancy, it's been a long while since I have been on here and I'm still no closer to launching my first story game but that is going to change very soon. 

I have an idea called Project Revenant and it's a post-apocalyptic open world survival horror epic that draws upon different inspirations including the zombie films of George A. Romero, Stephen King's epic novel The Stand as well as old-school anime OVA's from the 80's and 90's (you know the ones, stuff like Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll) and especially classic 90's shooter games like Doom and Wolfenstein 3D (as well as their myriad clones and imitators at the time)

5 years ago

How are you drawing from the video games?

5 years ago

Mainly I'm taking inspiration from the campy over-the-top opening narration and ridiculous premises those games had