Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Offensive Words!

5 years ago

Yeah, but you could buy "Nigger Hair Tobacco" in the 1950s. Does that mean that it wasn't really offensive? It's a word that's on its way out due to its racist origins, that doesn't mean it's there yet.

Offensive Words!

5 years ago

That word was always specifically meant as an insult and the culture was very different back then. I really don't think it is a fair comparison. Retard is on the way out, oriental is neither on the way out or used with racist intentions.

I've just always heard oriental vs occidental. I almost never hear oriental itself as a term of hate. I wonder what you think of the term "Asiatic" because that always felt like a slur to me when I read old books.

Offensive Words!

5 years ago

Well, just noticed this, but whatever. Oriental is definitely on the way out, it's usage used to be much more widespread than it is now. The word's definitely very old-fashioned and used far less than it used to be, and of course, people do consider it to be offensive. It might not be used expressly as an insult, but that doesn't mean it's not offensive.

Never heard of Asiatic used, so I don't know. Don't think so, I guess, but I've no idea, I'd have to look at its history, how its perceived now and all that jazz.

Offensive Words!

5 years ago
It's really weird that Steve made a thread just for an excuse to say the N-word, imho.

Offensive Words!

5 years ago
Some people have no shame.

Offensive Words!

5 years ago
schalkalak a niggy

Offensive Words!

5 years ago

"What the fuck Ford?! You can't call people niggers on here!" - JJJ

"But Melissa was calling me names." - Ford

"I don't care. Don't call people niggers. Next time you do, you're banned." - JJJ

"Okay. Sorry." - Ford

Offensive Words!

5 years ago

1. It got split off from something.

2. Even if it didn't, do you genuinely think that that would be a weird thing for me?

Offensive Words!

5 years ago
Just weird that you would use an excuse.

Offensive Words!

5 years ago

I found it weirder that Mizal didn't just say nigger.