Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Hello everybody! After a while of lurking and debating with myself on whether or not I should make an account I decided to just bite the bullet and do it. I actually started out on Choice of Games (I know, they suck) and after talking with Avery Moore/Briar Rose she thought I would fit in here because, as she put it, I actually find jokes funny. 

So, I guess if you would like to know anything about me please feel free to ask. I'm not quite sure how to do these introduction things so my apologies if I've done it wrong.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Welcome to the site, and I hope you enjoy your time.  

Some storygame recommendations:

Fantasy - Eternal, Rogues, The Path of Death

Post-Apocalyptic/Sci-Fi - Ground Zero, Paradise Violated

Horror - Ciara's Game

Romance - Love SICK (Better than any other modern 'literature' you can hope to find), The Quick Dating Game

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Thank you very much for the welcome and the recommendations! I've actually read Eternal, Ground Zero, and Love Sick (definetely a good one) during my time as a lurker but I'll be sure to check out the other recommendations. 

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

You're off to a good start then.  yes

Hello Everybody

5 years ago
Hi Doctor Nick!

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

So... how long have you been lurking for?

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Only about two months or so with the forum. I guess around mid-December? But I've been reading the stories on here sporadically for a few years.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago
Hey, welcome. If you've been lurking I suppose I can skip the standard newb advice, just let us know if you have any questions about the site. A lot of the forum activity has moved to the Discord but threads still get pretty fast responses.

Are you planning to start any projects yourself or are you here more for reading/reviewing? Although I mean, just hanging out finding jokes funny is also acceptable.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Thank you for the welcome. As for any projects, I'm not quite sure to be honest. If I did make a story it would be a long process. Computers and coding aren't my strong suit (I haven't done anything more complicated than basically writing an email since my army days), and work/familial obligations keep me pretty busy. But hopefully I can do...something at least. But for now I think its more likely that I'll just be on the reading or reviewing side of things. 

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

So there isn't much coding that I've seen so far. If you want to start a story try to make it shorter and avoid the advanced editor initially. As far as writing goes since this is a hobby site, the grammar is a bit better than military standard. Partially because the site has a spell check system built in. Totally get family obligations. Reading and reviewing actually makes a difference, so do that if that's what you're able to do and comfortable with.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Thank you very much for the insight. I really do appreciate it. 

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Might be a bit late... but I wanted to chime on one thing: at least try messing around with the advance editor in an empty storygame.

Yes, there is more code like stuff, but there is also things that are more GUI based, and some of the simpler things like variables for tracking choices and on page script (to change text based on variables) can be immensely helpful for certain things.

Advanced editor also has 'chapters', which are purely for organisational purposes and can be useful.

Without the advanced editor, certain ways of handling branching can become extremely tedious, and the last thing you want is for your idea to be limited by the tech.

I'm not asking you to master the site script or anything, I just don't want you avoiding it out of some fear that it is 'too complex' or the like; especially since questions can almost always get answered in the advanced editor forum, meaning that I think at least looking through it a bit should be done before deciding not to use it.

Tho yeah, welcome, and as mentioned above, reviews and the like are all also wonderful.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Thank you very much. I'll definitely keep that in mind. I'm sure I'll wind up trying it out one of these days. At least when things are a little less hectic on my end haha. I really appreciate your suggestions and thank you for the welcome. 

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy your time here as a member. If you need any help with writing a storygame or similar things, make sure to check out the Help & Info section as they are totally worth your time! Have a great morning/afternoon/evening.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Thank you very much for the welcome and I'll be sure to check that section out. I hope you have a wonderful morning/afternoon/evening as well.

Hello Everybody

5 years ago
Hi!

Do we have the pleasure of a bandit that is also a turnip?

Or the disappoinment of some common turnip peculating wingding?

Though I originally read "turnip bastard", which would also have been acceptable. ;)

Hello Everybody

5 years ago

Ah, but that would be telling wink! But in all seriousness an old lady actually called me that after she mistook me helping her pick up her dropped groceries for stealing her turnips. My little sister told my old squad mates in the army and they started using it as my nickname. But its funny and memorable enough that I thought I might as well use it for my username here. Thank yo for the hello and funny question.