Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Innocence Lost is finished!!! ... Kind of.

5 years ago

All done! … Mostly. Only took twice as long as I thought to input the game into CYS, but at least it’s finally over. (Chapter 9 was a nightmare!) >.<

There’s a couple of things I need to do before I publish the game, like write a proper introduction and ending, fix my retarded patreon page and figure out what the hell to do about the sequel. (Would like to publish the trilogy as three separate games, but I don’t think there’s any reliable way of transferring stats from one game to another, so unless I can figure something out, I’ll probably just have to publish the whole thing as one long game.)

Either way, I expect to have Innocence Lost published by the end of March at the latest… In the mean time, feel free to give it a play-through and please let me know if you find any mistakes along the way, particularly:

Coding Errors: Does the same option show up twice? Do no options show up at all? Does it say a character’s dead when they’re still alive? Did I forget to put the bloody “Check Stats” option at the bottom of the page? (God, if there’s one thing I’m going to miss about CoG, it’s the built in Stats page.)

Spelling Errors: Keep in mind that the game is written in British English, so if I ever use American English, that’d count as a spelling mistake.

Grammar Errors: Apparently I have a had core addiction to commas… Use way, way too many. Also, I don’t seem to know the difference between “it’s” and “its”.

Thanks and have fun! ^_^

5 years ago

... Oh shit, just realized that I didn't include a link. Here you go! http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-price-of-freedom

5 years ago
Wow I didn't see this thread at all. Would you like me to move it to the Lounge or the Writing Workshop or one of those boards people actually read? Awesome news though, I'd been wondering how this was coming along. I'll have to set aside a day to read through it in obsessive grammar nazi mode. To carry over stats and anything else relevant you could give readers a code at the end of one game to enter in at the beginning of the other, but uh...you'd probably want to get someone to add that in for you. I wouldn't recommend making having beaten a previous game *required* for trying out a new one either of course. Maybe you could create character templates of a sort, options for premade characters with an emphasis on certain stats or good or bad relationships with different characters already set. Then again, maybe one giant game is the simplest way to go.

5 years ago
Could make a default set of values that is changed by the code that gets input, if the following game is flexible enough for that. It'd be useful for people who didn't keep that code.

If it's not flexible enough, then one giant game would be my recommendation.

5 years ago

Yeah, that'd be great. Whichever board you think would be best. Thank you!

And I'll consider all of those options. I guess it could be possible to come up with a score that dictates all of the important stats, and have the player input the score at the beginning of the next game. I could also have the players input the stats manually... But I'm worried they might be dishonest, and give themselves higher scores than they had before... Either way, I'll have a good think about it. ^_^

5 years ago
I'll try and take a look at more of it soon. I always enjoy the opportunity to be a grammar nazi, I just have been getting absolutely nothing productive done after work these days, unless naps count.

Also I wish I'd known you were trying to do a stats page, it's possible to add buttons with JavaScript.

Anyway make sure to update the thread when you get your patreon page fixed up. You definitely want to have it ready to go when you officially publish the game. (Always did feel like you missed an opportunity not getting it out there while Jason and Mary were publicly insulting you and suppprting that plagiarized game over yours, you can't buy the kind of attention and good will that kind of thing produces.)

5 years ago

Well, of course naps count! Sleep makes people happy!!! ^_^

... But this Stats page thingy intrigues me! How would you go about adding a button? Are there any other games on CYS that do this? laugh

As for patreon, I'm working on the banner art right now... And yeah, but it wasn't really possible to publish the game that soon, since transferring the game over to CYS took forever just to do chapter 9 alone... Also, I'd rather have the game be perfect. ^_^

5 years ago
JavaScript is really simple, you paste some gibberish in a global script and then you have extra buttons up there by Go Back and Save. Looks like this:

5 years ago

AWESOME!!! ... How'd you add it? ^_^

5 years ago
Step 1: @BradinDvorak

e: actually I could probably just message the thing I have at you later, let's not share the secrets with the unwashed masses

5 years ago

Thank you!!! This is going to make things so much easier. ^_^

5 years ago
@Ozoni you might want to give this a look if you're into Roman stuff.

5 years ago

Yeah, I'm having a gander at The Price of Freedom right now.

5 years ago
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/broken-chains~3a-blood-on-the-marble

Also not too bad for a short fantasy Rome thing, particularly if you like homoerotic baths with orcs.

5 years ago
Just noticed you rated the old Price of Freedom, the link here in the thread is to the significantly expanded version that was originally going to be published on COG just fyi. (Which you might already know but whatever.)

5 years ago

Oh, thanks for the heads up.