Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What's your favourite movie / tv show and why?

5 years ago
I'm not sure if this thread has been done or not (apologies if so) but I was wondering what is everyone's favourite movie and why?

For me I really like True Grit (the recent one) because I think the dialogue is wonderful (when Jeff Bridges can be understood), the protagonist is an interesting mix of toughness and youth, the gunfights are realistic, the locations are awesome and I liked the book. TV Show wise, like half the planet, I like Game of Thrones but Inside No 9 is really good with it's intelligent plots and dark humour (Black Mirror is also similar but more science while 9 is more supernatural / psychological).

What are your favourites?

5 years ago

I like A Christmas Story.  

O Brother, Where Art Thou?  I also like a lot, but the former comes out ahead because of nostalgia.  

5 years ago
My favourite TV show is Mobile Suit Gundam- Iron Blood Orphanes. I like it because it does everything that you wouldn't expect it to do and plays with your expectations. The ending will make cry like a 9 years old who lost his toy and you will slip into PTSD. I also like it's take on morality where everything is a shade of grey instead of usual black vs white. For a show featuring giant robots fighting each other over a princess, it is pretty deep.

My favourite movie, maybe Hereditary or The Witch. Both are great horror movies and are only for people with 900 iq to understand. Tbh I don't really have a definite favourite movie.

5 years ago
You continue to disgust me.

Hereditary and The Witch are both pretty good, but still.

5 years ago

Gundam IBO was really emotionally investing (I have things to say about Mari Okada lol). They hinted a new series but gave us a shiddy mobile game instead. ;-;

5 years ago
I haven't watched TV in years but I do love a lot of movies. I'd have a really difficult time picking one favorite, or even ten favorites though. There are just too many and unless you have very specific tastes or genres or have only been watching movies made in the last few years I'm not sure how anyone can even narrow that down.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's and judging their taste though. In fact, I've already started.

e: might have to go with original recipe Law & Order for TV show. That or the first ten years of the Simpsons lol. Although Psych reruns get a lot of play on my phone while I'm doing other things; that's one of those rare shows that stayed consistently fun and never took a nosedive into the suck, and I just like the amount of charisma the cast has. They all got along great irl and it shows.

5 years ago

I agree with your assessment of Pysch. I would say The Office is also like that, but it definitely went to turd levels in the final few seasons. It's great to have that show where you don't even need to watch to enjoy after seeing it so many times. You can turn it on in the background and still imagine everything happening perfectly. 

5 years ago

Oh man it’s hard to choose just one for my favorite. If I had to pick one movie, it’d probably be Pulp Fiction. It’s the one film (besides Star Wars or LotR) where if someone told me they’ve never seen it, I’d drop everything and watch it with them. I also had a roommate in college who was an aspiring actor and was obsessed with Tarantino so we had some fun memories going through those movies. The roomie was actually an extra on House of Cards which is kind of cool too. It’s hard to beat the all-star cast in Pulp Fiction along with its unique characters and interconnecting storylines. Plus, it’s just intriguing. Even the seemingly most insignificant dialogue moments of the movie draw you in and create an allure with ordinary conversation. It has no “phone-checking” scenes and it definitely lives up to the hype as being one of the greatest movies of all time. 

5 years ago
I've posted this list before, but, Top 5 movies going purely by their ability to sustain my interest after millions of rewatches:

1.) Mary Poppins (fite me)
2.) Lion King
3.) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
4.) Forrest Gump
5.) Mad Max: Fury Road

In no particular order, I love them all.

I don't think I'd be able to pick just one and even this leaves a lot of incredible movies out. Really I should've done a top 10 list, the fact that I can't even include the first Ghostbusters or Hotel Budapest pains me, let alone The Road Warrior or The Outlaw Josey Wales or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

(Damn wait I guess I did do a top 10... what I meant to say is I wish I could do a top 20)

5 years ago
I can't choose one, but the four movies that spring to mind are:
- saving private Ryan
because I love war movies; enemy at the gates is also one of the best

- Her
a good movie about the human psyché, I guess?

- Watchmen
because I'm a god damn nihilist!

- Les Tontons Flingueurs (Crooks in Clover)
I think that's the main reason why I'm fond of witty remarks

5 years ago

Well, I know that a lot of people may make fun of me for this, but here we go.

I can't decide on the T.V shows, so I will just choose two of my personal favorites.

-Parks and Recreation 

-The Office

Now, the movies is a hard part. If I had to choose one I would say......

Anything in the line of MCU (Marvel Cinimatic Universe) or any good 'ol horror movie.

5 years ago
What a great opinion re: the MCU, in fact I'm so impressed I think I'll edit lock this.

5 years ago

If I had to choose one, I would say a collection of 20+ movies plus an entire genre.

5 years ago
but first I'll turn off threaded view Let's not be mean though, I actually think it's pretty impressive that a crab managed to watch so many movies, let alone teach itself to type. Also he'd be delicious with avocado salad.

5 years ago

Not if you can't catch me! HAHAHA. No really though, I have taught myself to type, and how to kill a human being  and to enjoy spending time with humans. They do not understand how rude it is to look at each eye over and over. Just pick one! My crab tribe will enjoy taking over continuing to spread our ever-lasting bond with the humans. We just need a sacrifice. Not asking to much. Just one soul for a pass of not getting pinched for life, St Patrick's day is coming up...

5 years ago

5 years ago

I would love to see that but for some reason it says Error-Page not found. My device seems to not let me see website pictures. it does this with every picture I get. Dumb crab wifi. You'll never guess the password though...

5 years ago
Just as well it doesn't give you ideas. More than likely the problem isn't really your device, perhaps there's a setting you've enabled, perhaps accidentally on account of some kind of incredible technological incompetence.

5 years ago

I'm about to go to sleep and this is the last image my brain will see. Weird dreams incoming. 

5 years ago

If I have to choose my all time favourite tv shows, they would be Impractical jokers, FRIENDS, Two and a half men(still mad at Charlie Sheen to this day), The Big Bang theory, that one with young Sheldon and of course, the walking dead series.

As for movies, I really liked ‘The Prestige’ and ‘The book thief’ is one of the very few times a novel adaptation was done properly by a director. All three parts of ‘The Hangover’ (because who doesn’t?) ‘Due date’ was awesome too. There’s definitely a lot more, but I can’t recollect them. 

5 years ago

I completely agree with you on Impractical Jokers. They are pretty funny. Who's your favorite character? Mine would be Sal. 

5 years ago

Q, out of all the characters he’s the guy who doesn’t care about the game and goes in without any semblance of strategy. The way he fails and his attempts at cheating are hilarious.

5 years ago

Yeah, Q is a really funny guy (especially the one where he got his hair cut) and I think that he is pretty bad at cheating. Murr is the kind of guy who lightens up everybody elses spirits. Joe is definitely the class-clown. One of Joe's greatest moments was when he sat on top of the golanda lift and started saying "suck it!' to random countries/states. I agree with your point though...

5 years ago

Oh yeah lol. That scene was hilarious. 

"New York, suck it!"

"New Jersey, suck it!"

"Texas, suck it!"

"What'did ya just say, ya half-wit?"

Readies and aims rifle. 

( Hypothetical “what if” scene)

5 years ago

I kind of feel bad for Murr though. Dude, had to shave his eyebrows lol.

5 years ago

I agree. His eyebrows are like Q's hair. You know its them but they will never be the same, and you will never look at them the same.

5 years ago

Huehuehue, hiya Will! I was obsessed with True Grit as a babe. I liked it even more than the book, I think. I wanted to be a cowboy so badly as a kiddo.

My favorite movie....I normally just say Grand Budhapest Hotel. It's so immensely charming ad funny and the way it goes about it's story is wonderful. Everything is like an intricately put together doll house. And everytime I watch it, I get a little sadder! It's like a depression cake for your eyeballs! All covered in candy colors and sweet cologne!

I also really like My Own Private Idaho,  The Great Mouse Detective and the like. And Charlie And The Chocolate Factory. I like pretty things and snappy dialogue. 

As for shows, I do watch a lot of the cursed content from the east. Goodness. That sounds like the Hentais. I'm not talking about the Hentais. Like Utena and stuff. But as for live action, I don't keep up with much.It's all just reruns of Malcolm in the Middle until my brain melts into the rest of my spine.

5 years ago
gross it's still alive

(Budapest Hotel is really really good. Wes Anderson is weird and wonderful and I love all his things but it's like he finally reached the peak of being Wes Anderson with that one.)

5 years ago

Yeah! I'm suuuuuuuuuper busy with school and work things. 

I'm going through all the Wes Anderson Films, I gots to see Moonshine Kingdom still. Oh! I got an Isle Of Dogs poster on my wall. It says "Pray for Atari and Spots"

5 years ago
it's like this puddle of liquid, putrefying lapine mixed with some kind of...reproductive fluids, all with a greasy sheen over the top and the nauseating stench filling the whole room. Then the room is unsealed after four hundred years and the workers flee gagging and clawing at their nostrils. The miasma cloud roils out into the fortress, engulfing the dwarves and giving them dangerously bad thoughts, and I've stepped in it and oh god it's STILL ALIVE and making anime references HOW AND WHY CAN THIS BE.

5 years ago

reproductive fluids? no. Mizal you are wrong. I appeared innocently enough, but then from my mouth came the words "YaLl EvEr HeArD oF K-oN???./.???" and that's when the sickness struck. In the streets and within your once safe homes, the plagues of my words swept, merciless as the bomb that wiped the homeland of it's creator. And yet, here i am, babbling. Would a god-- any god-- permit such a creature to exist? To walk freely? To act however it's creaky, child-like mind deemed fit? Surely there is no god. Or at least there is no god now....For if he did truly live, I've now killed him.

Nah, i'll probs be more active now.

5 years ago
what can men do against such reckless hate?

5 years ago
Movies: To Kill a Mockingbird, Almost Famous, and A Silent Voice. All three have a personal connection to max aand I find them all encouraging.

Tv shows... I don't watch much in terms of these. My tv life at this point is mostly binging the occasional show on Netflix (off my phone). I guess Neon Genesis Evangelion has to be one. Its mixture between extremely dark themes and psychological complexity appeals to me. I recently watched Violet Evergarden, and I REALLY liked it too. The tone and MC are among my favoites. Plus, not many shows deal with readjusting to civilian life and growing as a person quite like this show.

5 years ago

Honestly, for movie I'd have to say WarGames. For TV show probably The Grand Tour.

5 years ago

Gotta say, I like revenge movies. Law Abiding Citizen and Gladiator are good ones. I also enjoyed Star Wars Episode 3.

As for shows, while I do occasionally partake in the animation of the eastern persuasion, I really like comedies like Robot Chicken, SNL, or Family Guy, or really good ones like Breaking Bad or Law and Order.

5 years ago
Gladiator is underrated. It made a splash when it came out and spawned a bunch of imitators, but I'm always surprised now by the number of people who have never seen it. Apparently the pacing is considered kind of slow today, but it was a lot more than just the bloody action flick I guess those people are looking for.

5 years ago

Gladiator is amazing. I don't think it's underrated though. It won like 5 Oscars lol. Just checked IMDB and that's the correct number. It's also in their top 50 movies of all time. Russell Crowe was the man before he got fat and old. He was badass in L.A. Confidential too. Now he looks like Tim Allen got stuck turning into Santa Claus. Also, did anything ever happen with Pirates of the Caribbean using the same music as Gladiator? 

5 years ago
I mean yeah it got a great reception when it first came out, but that was before many of the people posting on this forum were even born. Seems like The 300 kind of stole its thunder a few years later anyhow and like I said, I just seem to have encountered a weird number of people who either haven't seen it or didn't seem very impressed. But I still consider it a must see for everyone either way. I remember hearing about the PotC thing but not sure whatever happened with it or if there was even anything to it. Someone who isn't allegedly busy writing right now will have to look it up.

5 years ago

True. It's hard to appeal to short attention span adolescents without including gore or nudity. Gladiator only brings a tremendous story, character development, emotional investment, and superb acting. It doesn't stand a chance against boobs! For the same reason, I think Troy outshined it as well. Speaking of Troy, pretty sure the composer for that movie also used the same score for different movies. Guess people need to realize that reusing music intended for millions of viewers is a sure way for someone to notice. 

Apparently everyone was too busy (allegedly) writing to look it up. Good for them. 

5 years ago

I have just realized that I enjoy Revenge movies but also that Star Wars Episode 3 is "Revenge of the Sith".

Still accurate.

5 years ago

I originally thought you were just trying to be funny, but now I see you don't even need to try.

5 years ago

Movie-wise:

1. 50 First Dates - I just loved the premise and how it also serves as a minor educational movie on the psychology of the brain.

2. Clue - For some reason, I just always loved this movie.

3. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 1/2 - these movies remind me of my family structure a lot. I always compare my family to these movies. 

TV Show-wise

1. Lost - I was always a huge fan growing up

2. Desperate Housewives - I just loved the drama of the show and the characters. I feel like the themes were also ahead of their time.

3. Ugly Betty - this is my guilty pleasure show. I love America Ferrera. She's an amazing actress and I love how genuine she is on the show.

4. Superstore - This show gives me so many good laughs. I love it. I think I shop at Walmart more because of this show.

5. Parks and Rec/The Office - these two are classics to me. Absolutely love 'em.

5 years ago
Weather-wise:
1. it's such a groovy day

2. You just say that words and I'll beat the birds

3. Down to Acapulco Bay

5 years ago

that's not even how the song goes

5 years ago
please, I'm lazy so I copy-pasted it from google music :p
That's actually the last part, and obv I know the first one is like "weather wise, it's such a lovely day", and I didn't know there was a variation either.

5 years ago

Alien. Ripley is best mum.

5 years ago
You forgot the s at the end, would you like me to edit it in?

5 years ago

Aliens is good too. Ripley remains best mum.

5 years ago
I just binged watched Love, Death + Robots on Netflix. It was crazy! The first episode was the most Cyberpunk thing I have seen since Cyberpunk 2077 trailer!