Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Where should Steampunk go?

5 years ago

So, now that Innocence Lost is done, I'm starting work on Brother's in Arms and Lawless Ones, and it's got me thinking... Where exactly should a Steampunk game go?

I'm really not sure whether it should go in Fantasy or in Sci-Fi... I mean, I guess it could go in Everything Else, but I kind of feel like it should be one of the other two. frown

5 years ago

If it has orcs and elves then fantasy.

If it has aliens then scifi.

If neither then everything else I guess.

5 years ago

No orcs and elves... But it had magicy stuff in it. ^_^

5 years ago
Steam punk is like old timey alternate reality sci-fi.

....I just made that up actually, but fantasy is pretty glutted and Sci-fi needs some love.

5 years ago
Steam punk is science fiction, so sci-fi id say.

5 years ago
Totally Sci-Fi

5 years ago

Disclosure: I have yet to explore the works you've mentioned above, so please pardon my ignorance and lack of relevant examples [currently going through Innocence is Lost].

I mean, I'm brand new here so what the fuck do I know, but if I may wax poetic on the topic of sci fi VS fantasty for just a second: 

I always considered those two genres as two sides of the same coin. I'm sure that hot take is about as groundbreaking as florals for spring, but humor me, if you will. 

If the steampunk setting is powered by magic instead of technology, could it, arguably, fit more within the fantasy genre? Conversely, if the steampunk setting is fueled by technological advances with magical elements being a more cultural aspect VS a technological aspect, I feel that could snugly fit within the sci fi category.

5 years ago
The real issue is that there are functionally only two fantasy slots available on the featured games list. Necromancer, Eternal, Dungeon Stompage, and Rogues aren't going anywhere, so Path of Death and The Lost Realm are the soft targets. (Not that either would be easy to take out either...) And at the same time there are already multiple authors working on fantasy epics, some of which are shaping up to be really damn good. I have no idea what's going to happen when they finish them, we're going to have to build a damn Thunderdome I guess or maybe just give Endmaster his own front page category. So right now spreading out to other genres whenever you can find the smallest excuse for it is always going to be the recommended thing if you have your eye on a featured spot.

5 years ago
@EbonVasilis that's right, your days are numbered.

5 years ago

I’m kind of surprised it hasn’t been knocked out already. I was reading back over it the other day, and, in retrospect, it wasn’t as good as I thought it was. 

The memories were perhaps the only writing in the story that I’d call good or better. The story itself was fine, but the entire thing felt rushed. I owe its success less to my writing ability, and more to my structuring emotional moments. The memories, that is, were also given more love when I was writing them. A shame they made up only 20% of the story. 

Good luck to those who want to take it down, and enjoy the spot while it’s yours. When I come back a couple years from now, more or less, I’ll retake that spot. 

5 years ago
Oh it's a couple years now? Thought it was months. Are you really *that* dedicated to getting speared in the butthole by African pygmies?

And well yeah, the story *was* rushed, you wrote big chunks of it over a few days with no sleep iirc.

5 years ago

I appreciate the context, thank you for taking the time to explain! Given that new information, then yes I agree: sci fi sounds like the way to go.

5 years ago

Sci Fi it is. ^_^