Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Characters you're just obsessed with?

5 years ago
Bit of a sleep deprived ramble here, but is anyone else afflicted with chronic Mary Sue-itis? I don't mean in terms of writing necessarily, I think most of us can identify Mary Sues and what makes them bad, but as long as I can remember I've had this revolving and evolving cast of characters stuck in my head. I'm not even sure if Mary Sues is exactly the right term really, although a few of the older ones definitely started out that way. ....maybe the first question I should actually be asking is if anybody else watches/directs some really sweet action scenes or dramatic character interactions like a movie inside their head whenever they've got some downtime or are spacing out for a bit waiting in line at the store and whatnot. Living in my brain I've got three or four permanent settings along with their casts of main and supporting characters, and a handful of others I alternate between at times if I come across something that puts me in the mood for it. These characters annoy me because they're extremely detailed, I've been developing them for years, but two of those 'permanent' settings are so heavily inspired by stuff I read or watched as a kid I'd have to gut them so dramatically they'd be nearly unrecognizeable if they were ever going to be anything but weird AU fanfic starring orginal characters which is, pretty much the cringiest of the cringe. And at the same time there's other things I completely changed over the years to the point it'd somehow, simultaneously, be unrecognizeable even as deliberate fanfic. Every so often I basically reboot a lot of things about a setting in my head like it's the fucking Marvel/DC continuity. There's one character where I seem obsessed with mentally playing out different versions of how she met and started working together with a team, and another in a different setting where I'm obsessed with how she broke away from her own and they all became enemies. These characters have canon events in their timeline that I basically jump around through at a whim. Like, okay, tonight while I'm falling asleep I'm going to go to post team breakup, how will the characters all handle being forced to work together after uh, a failed attempt to infiltrate the blah leads to a crash landing on blah blah. This will lead to a slightly different but potentially much cooler version of the fight in which blah blah blah was captured and had to be rescued while facing trial on blaaah. It's not like I've even sat down and intentionally thought most of their plots out, it's just been a matter of my imagination throwing shit at the wall for multiple decades and sometimes things just click into place and stay hthat way. Got to thinking earlier today that this was a big part of what got me into interactive fiction, the idea of being able to do ALL these things and have them all be equally valid. Except, difficult to write for the above cringy fanfic reasons, and even if I could separate them cleanly from their original source, a lot of this stuff would only make sense if I made alternate realities a part of the plot itself. And also maybe because in a weird way I'm scared of locking down' the characters in any specific way, like somehow the act of writing them down and unavoidably changing them in the process to better fit a real plot would ruin these weird little uncontrolled trips to imagation land. That basically did happen once, or at least partially, with something I wrote back in high school. tl;dr - Mizal needs more sleep. I'll probably feel stupid for posting this later. I'm not even sure what writing related question I'm asking but I'm not putting this in the damn Lounge. Hopefully at least one person will confirm they sort of do the same and so this isn't an isolated case of the crazy.

5 years ago

If I am the only one who replies to this, it probably won't make you feel any better about your sanity, but, yes.

I have had sets of imagined characters that I would entertain myself with for my whole life, but there is one set in particular that I have played around with in my head for around four years now.  I don't think of them nearly as much as I used to, having something to do with myself now, but I used to spend hours of my day thinking of funny dialogue moments or situations or character facts et cetera while I was in the shower, in the car, doing school, you name it.  

However, I will likely never do anything with them.  Partly because I don't think I'll ever consider myself a good enough writer to do anything with something that was and is so special, and partly because I think the stories I have in mind would be better in a visual medium such as a webcomic.  Largely, it is for the reason you stated.  Would it be the same for me if their stories were permanently changed and determined?  Probably not.  In some ways, it may be better, I would get to share something that brought me such entertainment and distracted me so pleasantly with others, but that could end my fun.  What if it's a shit story?  Maybe what I thought was really cool in my head is nonsensical or mary-sueish or ridiculous to someone who doesn't have the same connection to it?   

Whatever you do with those guys. I hope it continues to bring you enjoyment.

5 years ago

I heard it is easier to fall asleep if you avoid electronics for an hour before bed, or more specifically, screens. This can be a bit tricky tho as an hour isn't an insignificant amount of time, so it would depend on circumstances.

As for the actual post, I can certainly attest to having ideas in my head for settings and characters, but I wouldn't really say that I have stories happening. It isn't that I never think about events or scenes, rather that when I do, whatever I think up is ultimately hollow or too vague to actually hold any legit worth.

This doesn't stop me from internalizing these happenings as cannon for the settings (tho phrasing it like this may be misleading, as things can change), but it does mean that trying to turn it into anything beyond broad outlines would end up pretty dull if I don't hash out the details. But even when I've tried figuring out the details, it still ends up somewhat lacking (probably because the scope wants to be grand, but without any of the work to make it happen).

Regardless, the point is I can relate to what you're mentioning, so I don't think this is an "isolated case of the crazy" (however the main difference for me is that things are pretty weak, in the sense it is lacking in detail/specifics, [and probably volume too]).

I will add that establishing a setting & characters and building it up just in the head alone is pretty enjoyable, I guess because it is all very... safe. However, I would need to shape it into something of a more concrete shape if I ever want to share any of it, barring just mentioning ideas (but as I've mentioned plenty of times elsewhere, I imagine practically any idea as capable of working, so it is unlikely I'll go down this path again).

As for being worried about locking down characters, that is certainly understandable. I've tried writing stories for some of my imagination lands in the past, but because I too don't want to ruin it I tend to try going for much smaller scope things, like a small new character to make an introduction for the setting or some other element (although small scope is good for me for other reasons too).

Finally, I would be interested in seeing some other people's thoughts on this too, as I imagine this is something that can vary widely between people.

tl;dr - I'd say I sort of do the same thing, but maybe like a lower level variant or something. What about you current reader (if you haven't already mentioned it)?

5 years ago

I do this to. I have a two people: Harlem and Benajah (who my profile is named after) that I've been developing for years. Every night as I lay in bed I just play out a scene, where they do stuff. Harlem is one of the main characters in The Darkened Path (the story I'm writing) because I finally decided I wanted to do something with him. The world I use constantly changes, as I can never seem to get a stable...grip on the the world that I use. 

So no, mizal! You're not the only crazy person here!

5 years ago
I do this too.

All the characters that exist in my head tend to end up on loop in one scenario that just replays endlessly with slight differences. And that'll be my focus for days on end, sometimes weeks. Then I'll find a different scene to do that with.

5 years ago

When I daydream I like to imagine up complete backstories for characters, play out epic scenes in my head, then discard them and move on. Although they do get developed over time, there's no 'evolution' of a character as opposed to later reinvention. The ones that do stick usually end up as idea fodder for actual stories, because if I'm still thinking about them in a fortnight they tend to become either stale or unrecognisable. That might be a symptom of my short attention span - or that my characters weren't very interesting to begin with - but I've definitely kept things fresh by avoiding rehashed storylines.

Settings are usually generic - like an unassuming suburb and so on. Not much else to say really, except that I prefer quiet, colourful backgrounds.

To avoid the whole 'Mary Sue' thing, I think up a character's flaws as a first step. Even when venturing into power-fantasy-land; I'm more willing to invest in a rando gambling addict than another Superman.

5 years ago

Probably Suzy.

Seriously, while one would think it would be Francis or Azrail, I'm sort of done with them as far their "timeline" is concerned. Azrail always becomes the Death God. Even though I've written out several other alternative paths/endings for him, there's only one that's "canon."

Francis has a few more timelines, but again there is one path in particular that I always come back to with him. So as far as my mind is concerned, that's the "canon" one.

Suzy though I could probably make a lot more possibilities with her and have for example when I was doing those prompts from Gemini (lol).

Why her? Well there's probably several reasons. Hell, there's a very long history involving her, but that might be getting a bit off track about what you're specifically talking about if I went into the complete history.

But one of the reasons might be because Suzy was technically the very first protagonist I attempted with a CYOA. Though her name at the time was Sally in a story called Dysfunctional Family. (Unfinished hard copy, never wrote it online)

A LOT of that story was used in various other works, but eventually when I sort of returned to her in "The Good Girl" I realized I wanted to do a big story with her that branched out in all sorts of crazy directions.

Called her Suzy since Sally ended up being a much different character in another work. (Who had much more traditional "Mary Sue" like qualities too) Suzy also was a mild ref to "Sue" though obviously her luck was the opposite of a Mary Sue and things didn't come easy despite being attractive.

While Good Girl was a much shorter version of the old unfinished Dysfunctional Family, I felt like Suzy's Strange Saga would be the proper story that she should have always gotten. And given how much of some of the other stories took elements from that original story, it made sense to tie most of the "earth based" stories to hers.

Even with the 16 endings I did for her I still see different adventures for her. I realized this when I did the Mirror Mirror branch where she actually does encounter different versions of herself.

As far as I'm concerned there's a shitload of versions of Suzy compared to any other character I've created.

5 years ago

Oh yeah, I totally do this! There's a whole bunch of little characters having adventures in my head. ^_^

There's Urchin, the red headed little thief-girl who pretends to be a boy to avoid the brothel-working fate of her mother (because the whole girl posing as a boy trope totally hasn't been done enough.)

There's Aquarius, a blind girl who sees the future. She's been enslaved by a spell that makes her completely obedient and pretty much loses her entire personality.

There's Judah, the assassin who collects a souvenir from every person he kills, to remind himself that they're all people and not just names on a list.

Loca loca is a more recent one. She's kind of a super villain... But she only kills murderers, rapists, pedos and other people who generally deserve it. (Only reason she considers herself a villain rather than a hero is because she doesn't really do it to make the world a better place. She does it for the shitz and giggles.)

I'm working on trying to incorporate a few of my characters into my games because... Otherwise, what's the point in having them? But either way, don't worry Mizal, you're not crazy! ... At least, you're only as crazy as the rest of us (which probably isn't a very reassuring thought.) ^_^

5 years ago
I’ve always heard that if you talk to yourself/imaginary people, there’s nothing wrong with you; but if they start answering you, you’ve got issues. That said, I have a theory that most people who write actually have different things going on in their brain. Think about it: how successful have you ever been, as a writer, trying to explain to other people the writing process? Think about how many people complain about “writer’s block” who don’t actually write? I strongly suspect people who do actually write stories (fiction) have brains that are wired just a bit differently than others. Not wrong or bad, in this case, just different. That said, I do see lots of stories in my head. Sometimes too much: what happens with mine is that sometimes when the story is over, it’s over and gone. Now I can’t write what happened in the story because it’s completely gone out of my head. It already happened to the characters and now we need to move on. I spend way too many hours trying to recall what happened to the characters that literally don’t even exist anywhere but in my mind so I can write their story. Often I end up writing something else entirely that’s not nearly as fun as the story that happened in my mind when I was falling asleep the other day. I’m not sure I have a specific set of characters, though. Instead, I have lots of different stories that wander about, and different characters that appear without notice. They often aren’t related to one another and the stories aren’t related, either. They just happen in my head and I hope I can get some of the ideas on paper before the story vanishes.

Imaginary characters you're just obsessed with?

5 years ago

Looks like I am not the only lunatic here.

Occasionally when I am lazing around, no writing project going on, I find myself thinking about two particular characters from two entirely different settings; an adventurous man in a Victorian Era themed steampunk setting that is both futuristic yet antique - I name him Lance - and a magical beast trainer in a fantasy world that looks like something out of every folklore and fairytale to an extent - I name her Irisa. Those two are the embodiments of my vastly different settings, and it's been like that for just about as long as I can remember.

I know just about everything about them - from their height to their preferred foods at a new place all the way down to their most minor of ticks they have in certain situations. Yet, despite having entirely detailed - arguably complete - characters, I can never figure out how to put them on paper. They influence the very way I write anything (hell, they influence how I actually live my life!), but for some unknown reason, I could never successfully capture them on paper despite knowing them better than I know myself.

Well, that was needlessly long. Not sure if you are crazy or not, but you sure as hell aren't as much of a lunatic as me - to the extent of not only having imaginary characters but an entire novel that you are unable to write for who even knows why.

TL;DR - I have two imaginary characters than influence almost everything I do and especially write. Any attempts to write them out fail, and I probably have a bad case of crazy. At this point, who doesn't?

5 years ago
Sorry I haven't had much chance to sit down and reply to this or to the person who messaged me, but I've really enjoyed reading the replies, glad I'm not alone in this bit of lunacy. I wonder if it's mostly just writer types that are afflicted or if this extends to """normal""" people too.

I know I've been doing this pretty much my entire life. My oldest setting and also the most self indulgently Mary Sueish character that will *never* be written about I can trace back to the fifth grade and a book series I read then, and I can remember entertaining myself this way on car trips in the second grade.

5 years ago

I really don't know what any of you are talking about. I don't know if I'm just misunderstanding, or maybe I just have different thoughts. My writing related thoughts are never about a particular group of characters, it changes around a lot. Sometimes it's demonic warriors raiding elven settlements, sometimes its space naval officers slowly going insane, but I don't have a set cast or casts that I look to.

5 years ago
I'm not really talking about 'writing related thoughts', rather characters or settings you reflexively go back to that you specifically *wouldn't* write about or at least would have difficulty working into real stories. Seems like developing them as a kid and having them stick with you is common.

So it's possible you misunderstood, but I'm also okay with you just being the weird one here.

5 years ago

I don't think I misunderstood, but it seems like I'm definitely the weird one for not doing it. I have things I write I'd never actually publish because it's just inane musings, and I am prone to the idea of generally looking at my own characters and daydreaming about it, but I don't have any set cast of characters I go to, it's always changing, and it's generally more setting-based that a regular cast of characters I look to.

5 years ago
It's okay if you don't want to admit to the hundreds of hours daydreaming about a boy named Tseve who was the most promising student ever at Hogfarts School for Young Warlocks.

5 years ago

... OMG, seriously Steve? You're telling me you don't have a bunch of imaginary characters living in your head that you don't daydream about all day long? Keep an eye on him guys, I think there might be something wrong with him. frown

5 years ago

Kind of. I tend to have more character tropes that play out in my head constantly. 

There’s the best friend type character, but instead being perfect friends who have each other’s back always and that non-sense, they are always on the opposite sides of a conflict. For example: Once there was the MC who led a rebellion against a stock evil empire type place, but was also a double agent within the empire. His close friend was adamant that if he tried at it long enough he could get close enough to the top of the empire to change its corruption from the inside. And 

And for the feminists out there: there is always a female with a lot of power. Whether it be in the form of an evil queen, an expert serial killer, or princess, there’s always at least one. 

There are a few others that are less consistent when my mind wanders, but those two are always recurring. This is of course not including characters that I created for a story, then proceeded to play out my head for planning purposes. 

So no, you’re probably not crazy. Probably. 

5 years ago
Character tropes I keep returning to are a definite thing with me too, although they pop up more in the 'temporary' settings or in the ones I'm specifically planning out for a story. The established settings already have their established casts.

A lesser enemy that allies with Team Good Guy to deal with a greater threat is a common reoccurring one. (Or the opposite of that where someone on Team Good Guy defects.) But then the Big Bad is usually fairly capital E Evil while the lesser villain is just someone with conflicting motivations or methods.

And there's always the character that speaks all the languages and translates all the ancient whatevers before inevitably unleashing shit they can't handle. Or the token actually trustworthy authority figure, which is always like a boring desk job guy or else the fantasy/sci fi equivalent who quietly bad ass in their own way and with a better insight into things than most people realize, and their job is to pave the way for the heroes to go do their unorthodox hero shit and smooth out any consequences after.

I'm realizing as I write this that all POV characters are not especially powerful but make up for it by being intensely interested and good at some unusual thing and use that with a bit of cleverness to punch way above their level...except for a couple that are the opposite and stupidly powerful but with no idea how to use their abilities effectively. And the oldest most Mary Sueish character is the best in both ways of course! ^_^

Now that I think of it more, I have several more 'permanent' settings than I mentioned at first, although the later ones are not as old as the others and are in a shape where they could potentially be written about without it being cringy for all involved. Each are specifically a different kind of setting and tone so I'm guessing that more than anything determines which my brain will settle on to hang out with at any particular time.

There's uh...

Futuristic/historical/fantasy/secret war/time travel. (The one I don't talk about.)

Good vs evil monster hunter thing.

Modern X-Men type setting.

Star Trek style universe.

Fantasy with megolomaniacal wizards and magic portals

Sci fi with megalomaniacal scientists and....scientific portals.

....Redwall type setting.

5 years ago

Hey, Redwall's great! No shame at all.

5 years ago

Probably shouldn’t encourage the furry fanfics...

4 years ago
Lol at the sass from this absolute nobody that no one who's joined in the last year has even heard of.

5 years ago
Nope. While I do have countless stories that float around in my head, I constantly move to a new one. In other words, when a character gets an ending in my daydreams, that's it for them. I don't tend to revisit them. Now, I do have architypes I tend to work with, some kinda spirit helper especially, but they're always different people. I probably visit arcs more than I do characters. Coming-of-age stories. Revenge stories. Et cetera. I often have the same general plot with different people.

5 years ago

Well that's no fun!

5 years ago

I think Wibbons is the judge of that.

5 years ago
Do you find this makes it harder to come up with branching plots?

5 years ago
Yes. Absolutely. When that happens with me, the story is simply over and I have to force something to make a branching plot and it hardly ever feels right. It's like the character has one story and I'm making up some crap to make branches (as if I'm not making up the first one).

5 years ago
Not really. Another past time of mine is assigning random what if scenarios to real and fictitious things, so that helps me in that regard.

5 years ago
I don't have any constant casts of characters. I randomly think of some characters and a scenario one day, sometimes completely original, but often related to something I've read recently. I create and replay scenes with those characters for a few months, then discard them and move on to something else. There's just one story I've been building in my head for a longer amount of time, and even that's less than a year.
They're all the sort of ideas that are too dumb to actually write, just scenes and details I make up when I'm bored, or lying in bed when I really should be sleeping instead.
But hey, I get the desire to write something so rarely that it's no surprise I apparently have the brain of a disgusting "normal" person. :)

5 years ago

I don't get to much Mary Sue-itis so much. I'll make it a while with one of those stories then stop and go "Wait... this is where I wouldn't be able to continue on the way by myself." Or "Yeah, I could make that shot, but I'd probably wrack myself trying to climb an angled ladder with my hands full."

Wholly fictional characters have been more fun for me. I have some of those that are reoccurring in my head often enough. I usually keep those characters in thier own worlds though.

5 years ago
I prefer original settings too, but when I think of that kind of thing now it's for characters that I theoretically intend to write about. Characters that just kind of spontaneously formed when I was in middle school weren't really from any kind of deliberate process.

Mary Sue is still not a great term for this thread, but I don't have any other. It's not to imply they always succeed at everything, just the level of self indulgent obsession.

5 years ago

Oh. I have plenty of those Mary Sue's. They're not so much myself but more of a character that are like me. That's usually because I know how I think and trying to form a personality that is nothing like me is beyond what I'm capable.

I have a character concept that I've thrown into various situations through various means that I keep returning to. The idea of someone made immortal has been interesting to me for a long time. Sometimes it's been by taking a brain scan of a man and putting that scan into a AI frame decades later. Sometimes in a fantasy setting it's been by turning a man into an immortal Elf where he is left to watch the rise and fall of civilization throughout the ages. The AI one has been fun. I get to put a  21st century man into a situation where he needs to translate unrecognizable languages to English and just put a translation file to the side, trying to take over the controls of a brain dead "automated" space vessel while trying to figure out the technology as he goes, becoming a space vessel and still having a humanoid form that walks it's halls, then there's the old trying to figure out how to deal with the passengers that "...won't stop f*****g inside of me!" in a reasonable way.

The other pair of characters I keep coming back to I've called Brian and Matt. Brian went on a camping trip with some buddies and got mauled by a rabid wolf. Brian it turns out is one of the handful of werewolves that are still around. Most people don't survive a genetic disease that changes your form suddenly and violently for three days in every 28. Brian gets picked up by the government and given a job to help deal with other monsters and making sure they stay in their reservations and acceptable positions. Matt is Brian's supervisor and is a Vampire. Not the fun kind of Vampire with super powers. He's actually just a regular human with a rare blood disease. Something that occurs naturally in most peoples blood doesn't occur in his. The symptoms of not having this is a sensitivity to light, yellowing of the skin, the skin becomes papery and fragile, the gums recede, and a loss of higher brain function. These symptoms can be reduced with the consumption of blood. So instead of getting proper medical treatment he was thrown into the job because he was classified as a monster. Matt has been at the Job for fifteen years now. I have fun throwing the pair into situations like, dealing with a gnome gang, sorting out a "Vampire Coven" that mostly consists of moody teenagers and one psycho, trolls leaving their reservation, trying to figure out if the secretary poltergeist is real or if it's just an ongoing prank by Matt. Things of that nature. 

4 years ago

You should write this monster story pretty please with teeth and fangs on top.

4 years ago

I've been trying to figure out how to turn it into a CYOA story for a little while now. It's not my first priority just yet though.

5 years ago

“Chosen One” might be a better description since the main character is typically always making the world changing choices. Though those might not always work out in a positive way for the MC.

Either that or “Alternate Dimension Hopper” I guess.

5 years ago

I've had these sort of weird imaginations just pop up out of nowhere in my head too from time to time. It mostly happens when I'm bored or right before I fall asleep while lying down in bed for the night.

For me though, it's always been imagining a survival based plot rather than superheroes like you do. Like me stuck in the wilderness and having to fend for myself or me being in a zombie apocalypse with actual real life people who I meet everyday. The plot of these stories seem so finely detailed and exciting and since the characters are all real in my daily life, they seem very fleshed out and realistic 

Originally, I had planned to write something like this on CYS myself, since this was the prime reason why I had joined. Then, I got into manga and I started having those same type of "visions" that I had in doomsday scenarios, with the plot of the manga. "What if I was an important part of this manga's storyline? I would surely have helped the original protagonist before he committed suicide from depression," such types of thoughts came in my head day in and day out, until I could take it no more and wanted to actually write it. That's why I entered this site with that Mary-sue style fanfiction. I'm still working on it now and honestly it just feels so entertaining, kind of like watching an interesting TV series only that you get to decide what happens next. I know it's cringey as hell, but if I don't let it out from my system; I'll go insane!

So, yes I can relate to Mary-sue style imaginations and visions being a driving force to interactive fiction. I believe, if done properly, self-inserts can be awesome; since the author would be able to flesh out the plot and characters in a more detailed an interesting manner than normal stories. Let's see how my author-insert style story plays out.

4 years ago

Yep, I certainly have some characters that I still think about and develop from time to time, that I thought about in my childhood.  Of course one is heavily inspired fanfic from something I enjoyed as a kid, and the other is an amalgamation of several things I liked.

Now, other than those two settings, I do tend to think a lot about some characters in various stories.  I sometimes revisit them on and off, and when I come up with an idea that is for something shorter and less EPIC I tend to focus on it more, then go back to the grand things after.

What I think helps me with some of the cyoa aspects of some of the larger and more grand story, is I generally always have an idea of how that characters adventures end.  These stories and adventures tend to take place over a long period of time, usually many years anyways so it gives me time to think up of plenty of different and grand adventures for them.  Even if they all eventually lead to the same place, although this ending could be done in different and varied ways, they all sort of have the same meaning.

I find I always like to have a concrete ending in mind for a character, or I intend to leave it somewhat vague so a reader could use their imagination if they wanted. 

I think while these characters and settings will never be written, they will influence other stories I write and will always have a good place in my mind.  

Part of the reason I like to come up with a finite end for my characters, is because its sort of like life in that regard.  Everything eventually ends so what you do in the meantime has to be worth something, even if it just has worth to you when no one else can see it.  So I figure I'll try to make my characters do things with meaning because it makes it all the more important when it all eventually ends.

It seems so far that even when I'm done with certain characters I will still think about things to add to them, which is the one duality of finishing projects.  You're done with these characters and settings, but at the same time never completely finished.  

4 years ago
Just realized that a lot of what we've been talking about in here is exactly how comic books work. And folk tales back in the day. All these characters with set recognize things about them, but constantly being reinvented and having their adventures added to as time goes on and audiences change.

Mine have all changed drastically since when I started them, the older ones especially, and this is because the 'audience' (myself) has drastically changed since I was a kid obviously. Even the focus of the stories themselves are completely different now as they tend to be more about character interactions and conflict and diplomacy which is all stuff I find far more interesting now than punchy shooty at bad guys stuff.

4 years ago

Don't worry, you're completely sane. I do this too. Gaaaaaah!

I'm sane too! Yes!

4 years ago
Aw I'd forgotten about this thread. There were a couple of posts I'd never to reply to and then just never gotten around to it.