Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Already regaled the Discord with most of this but I wanted to immortalize my magical adventures with weird fruits in forum form. So, while shopping I notice there's something new in the produce section! Three formidably spiky green objects similar in size and shape to watermelons. Perhaps they are dragon eggs. Having only seen these a couple of times, and that on cooking shows, I quickly discover I have no natural immunity to impulse buying this particular foreign invader and take one instantly. One was too ripe, the other wasn't quite there yet, but one was juuuust right. spike ball taking up entire front compartment of grocery cart. Also yes I buy store brand diet coke with lime, have your laffs they phase me not. I think this picture had the best look at the armored hide. Again, it is big. Takes up my cutting board, wouldn't quite fit in the strainer for washing, and is slightly longer than the large chef knife laid ominously before it. But I WILL get the baby dragon out of there and it will be MY baby dragon! Preparing the victim...er, patient for operation. I believe there's likely to be a baby dragon inside, trying to get out. Disappointingly, the inside contains only yellow fruit and some seeds the size of marbles which look glossy and nice, kind of like river rocks. Once again, the universe denies me a pet dragon unless I play that stupid browser game with the cringe community again. Sadly, there is no dragon. But it tastes like a mix between mango and pineapple with a soft and smooth texture. And since we all know that mango and things that are like mango are God's greatest gift to humankind, I'm instantly addicted. Those seeds are edible too, they turn into like tiny potatoes if you boil the heck out of them for 30 minutes apparently. I will be doing this tomorrow because for $25 I am eating every bit of the damn thing I can. ....yeah that's right, I paid $25 for a single fucking fruit. Forgot to mention that. my kitchen counter is a disaster area Not quite halfway through, I realize this is a LOT of freaking work. The 'fruit' is actually all just fleshy pods around the seeds, you have to pull them out individually and...there's a lot of them. And those long things in the front are the core which is a bitch and a half to remove. Pro tip: the little tag that came on the jackfruit said you put oil on your hands before trying to clean the thing and YES, DO THAT. THEY MEAN IT. The core oozes a resin that turns into glue and won't come off with soap and water. So eventually I'm just hacking away with one of those curved little peeling knives, very sharp, and canola oil on both hands so I can barely hold onto the thing. It's a miracle I didn't wind up with even more of a mess. The hassle of gutting and cleaning this is the main thing that would make me hesitate to buy one again. gutted rinds and gigantic mixing bowl piled with fruit bits Finally, I'm finished and have reaped the bounty. Jackfruit is used in a lot of vegan cooking (although you use the unripened ones for cooking in curries and the like) and so I imagine this is the closest a vegan will ever get to the sensation of having slain the mighty buffalo to feed their tribe. Except I have no tribe so this is all for me: jackfruit over rice with red onions and cayenne, some sliced sausage drizzled in bbq sauce on the side The rind when cleaned out has the exact weight and feel of sections of tire rubber, or maybe that tarpaper they put on roofs. I go back later to cut most of those little shreddies out of the earlier picture too, and I'll try to make the "pulled pork" jackfruit tacos the internet won't shut up about or something with those tomorrow. Waste no part of the jackalo. Now excuse me, I should probably fish these out and make a formidable pair of pauldrons. Spiky rinds in trash can. In the end, despite being thought crazy by family and co workers I feel I made a GOOD PURCHASE DECISION. $25 seems like a lot until you realize the amount of fruit is the equivalent of about 20 mangos easily, and they'd be nearly as much of a hassle to clean at once as this was. And while I"m experimenting with a couple of savory uses (tastes great with cayenne btw), just devouring the fruit raw is amazing. I'll be freezing a bunch of it tomorrow to go into mock mangonados and smoothies and Dessert Bullet sorbets so that'll basically be heaven. Well anyway that was probably the most exciting thing that happened to me all year, I hope you enjoyed my story.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
I've never heard of that fruit. It's not even in the damn dictionary! But it sounds like it'd be delicious, and I want one. Thanks for the story, Mizal.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
They're related to durians I think. They can get monstrously huge, up to 80 lbs apparently...that's uh, 36 kilograms?

I'm now reworking a tribal society of islander orcs to center around large spiky fruits with a strong smell. Just seems fitting, somehow.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
36 kg? Bloody hell, that's a huge fruit! How do you expect to eat all that before it goes bad? You sure you don't want your cousin's help? :P

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Well this one is about a quarter of that and only watermelon sized, but as I said I'll be freezing most of it. And I did tell him to help himself, but I'm pretty sure he's allergic to fruit so that will not be option.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago

Ah yes, Jackfruit.

The good Spiky Fruit.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago

Can't be bothered to read, but based on the pics... Congratulations on killing your first crocodile! ^_^

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Nonsense, I killed my first barehanded when I was two.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
I had respect for you until I saw you put raw onions on your food. Why would you do such a thing?

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago

Why would she not do such a thing? Raw onion rings have a wonderful aftertaste. No salad is complete without them! In fact, if any dish you eat is bland in taste, best solution is to chop a few pieces of raw onions and use it as garnishing. Nothing beats ‘em in garnishing.

There are some perfectly good dishes who’s flavour will be incomplete and worthless without raw onions.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago

What are you talking about? Raw onions are great! 

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Onions are a necessity with BBQ and a main ingredient of mango salad. The onions were fully compatible with 70% of the items on the plate. This is just science, I'm not sure what you're complaining about.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Thank you for sharing. Now I feel ill. I shall drink beer until the feeling passes.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
It's fine, I understand that thoughts of fruits and also their cousins 'vegetables' can be frightening for some.

I bought a jackfruit

4 years ago

The feeling is mutual

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago

Interesting way of using jackfruit miz. I personally only use it for curries; but now I’m tempted to try it as a salad, or in the way you did.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Canned jackfruit is cheaper and a lot easier in my opinion lol. Best way to eat is covered in spices n chucked on a pizza

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago

I've never seen canned jackfruit in my life.  They probably don't have those in high supply in Texas either.  

It does sound good on pizza if it tastes like pineapple sort of though.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Buying canned jackfruit sounds pretty boring. Never seen it but I also wouldn't bother. A whole one is weird and fun but if I just wanted fruit I'd go for a mango.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago

I love how after everything was said and done, the bowl made and jackfruit defeated, you said to yourself, “You know what this needs? Some onion rings.” And the prices to put that stuff on top like a garnish. 

Looks pretty good though. Will consider making jackfruit armor.

I bought a jackfruit

5 years ago
Huh... It looks like a breadfruit. Try throwing one in the hot coals of a campfire until it turns white. Then tear out the inards and eat with hot / soy sauce.

I bought a jackfruit

4 years ago

No. Cut it into slices and fry them. Much better

I bought a jackfruit

4 years ago
Really so far I like it best just raw with some cayenne sprinkled on it.

Sadly didn't get to experiment with smoothies since my freezer has been on the fritz, just had to eat *way* more than I planned in a short period of time.

I bought a jackfruit

4 years ago

25$? That is highway robbery. You can find that shit for like 50 cents in India. Cool adventure tho.

I bought a jackfruit

4 years ago
$1.25 a lb isn't bad for most fruit.

You have cheap fruit, we have free tapwater you can drink and clean public toilets with toilet paper and soap and everything though so I'm happy with this trade off.