Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd Person - Which to choose?

4 years ago

Alright, CYSers, I have an important question for you all. When you play a storygame, what is your preferred point of view?

First Person

I pace around my cell - the room where I have spent the last three days in confinement, awaiting the real punishment of the treason I have committed, which is to say, execution. However, I do not plan on sticking around for that - nay, I plan on being gone long before then. I have a goal in mind, so now all I need is a plan.

Second Person

You pace around your cell - the room where you have spent the last three days in confinement, awaiting the real punishment for the treason you have committed, which is to say, execution. However, you do not plan on sticking around for that - nay, you plan on being gone long before then. You have a goal in mind, so now all you need is a plan.

Third Person

Makarii paces around his cell - the room where he has spent the last three days in confinement, awaiting the real punishment for the treason he has committed, which is to say, execution. However, he does not plan on sticking around for that - nay, he plans on being gone long before then. He has a goal in mind, so now all he needs is a plan.

As a writer, I am personally most used to writing in 3rd person, although I do see 1st person used a lot. Which points of view do you enjoy seeing in interactive novels?

4 years ago
I prefer second or third person, maybe leaning slightly towards third, if for no other reason than it being a sign that the character won't be just a blank stand-in for me.

4 years ago

For literature in general, I prefer first person, but for I.F. novels I think second person generally works best, since it conveys that the player is the protagonist. Not that the other two can't work though. I was working on a Film Noir style mystery novel in first person awhile ago... Should really get back to that sometime. cheeky

4 years ago
Second person is traditional of course and what I'm most comfortable with for CYOAs, but third is fine too after a little time adjusting. (It's funny because third/past is what I always used to write in, and now it just feels weird...) First person I always just find annoying and distracting.

4 years ago
Second person is the "real" perspective for a interactive novel imo, as your writing should be more a narration as to what the player is doing than anything.

Third person is fine, it just means it's more a case of you have control over a person and you're living vicariously through them.

I hate first person, for interactive novels at least. I can deal with it, but it really detracts from the story.

4 years ago

I like 3rd person in general novels,

but for choose your story, definitely 2nd person.

4 years ago

Novels personaly i prefer 3rd person, but for story games i prefer 2nd.

Because the you makes the game even more deeper and personal for me the raeder. 

4 years ago

Depends on your type of story. If it’s something akin to a self narration, past life story or a visual novel style story game; first person is best.

Something like the traditional CYOA’s or IF style, second person.

Something like an adventure, survival, or a story where present tense is used; third person

4 years ago

I write in second and prefer to read that as well, but only if the character represents me. If I'm playing as a character, but they aren't me and I'm just "controlling" them, I don't mind third I guess.

4 years ago
Yeah I know what you mean, I always play as if the character represents myself, a man kidnapped as an infant and put into a super soldier training program for the glory of the Emperor.

4 years ago
That's probably why I like Love SICK as much as I do. I feel like EndMaster really, you now, got me when he wrote the main character. I'm sending the link to my sister, and hopefully she'll feel the same. <3