Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

New top 5?

4 years ago

Does anyone think the top 5 rated stories is ever gonna change? I've been on this site for quite a bit of time (including old accounts) and it has never changed.

New top 5?

4 years ago
Depends on whether whatever is stopping Death Song from being up there is fixed.

New top 5?

4 years ago

In my opinion, OMS is the weakest one on there. Looking through the top ratings, Rogues has the highest and it's not even on the top five. 

New top 5?

4 years ago
Even JJJ thought OMS had a hugely inflated rating, mainly due to: being written by JJJ. Not really anything that can be done about it though, the listings in the front page sections are all automated.

New top 5?

4 years ago

It's a damn good story, just feels like something I'd find in the Teen Fantasy section with a bright yellow "YA" sticker on the binding. Totally makes sense why though.

New top 5?

4 years ago
OMS was written in 4 days and it shows. It is a good that doesn't belong in the top 5 right now.

New top 5?

4 years ago
Site standards have come a long way, but the rating inflation from the old days sticks around. Not a new problem or even one specific to stories by popular authors unfortunately. Putting the 'most in need' stories there was like the one change that hasn't backfired though, it got people playing through a lot of the old games and giving them ratings closer to what they deserved.

New top 5?

4 years ago

It changed pretty recently, when the original Price of Freedom was removed. I think that’s when Through Time was added to the top 5.

New top 5?

4 years ago

Through Time? I thought it was Dungeon Stompage. frown

New top 5?

4 years ago

I was thinking it was Through Time because it is last on the list. 

New top 5?

4 years ago

On the front page they only have a list of the top five, but on the Storygames page, on the list of "Top Rated Storygames", they have the top 6. ^_^

New top 5?

4 years ago

Yeah, it's quite frustrating (since it's unlikely that the new POF will ever be able to claw it's way back into the top 5) from from the looks of it, the way the ranking system works is largely dependent on how many ratings a game has... And, since the top five games are the first games that any new member is going to see, that means the top 5 will always get the most amount of ratings, making it very difficult for the others to catch up (though I have noticed that Rogues is slowly climbing the ladder. I think it was at 12 about a month ago, and now it's up to 10, so there's hope for it yet. ^_^

Scrolling through the highest rated games, it seems like the actual top 5 games (in terms of ratings) are:

1. Rogues: 7.70

2. Homo Perfectus 8: 7.57

3. The Price of Freedom: Innocent Lost: 7.55 (Yey! ^_^)

4. Eternal: 7.31

5. Dead Man Walking: 7.30

And coming in triple joint 6th with a score of 7.28 are; The Order of the Midnight Sun, Through Time, and Hastings, 1066: Aftermath... (Which makes me feel super bad for the author, 'cos I haven't even heard of that one. Will need to give it a playthrough some time.) ^_^

New top 5?

4 years ago

I do hope that Price of Freedom makes it back into the top 5 (official top 5) eventually. I really enjoyed reading it.

New top 5?

4 years ago

Well, it's definitely climbing it's way up the ranks. When it first got ranked, it was at #44, and now I think it's #26 in less than a month... So, that's progress ^_^

New top 5?

4 years ago

Now that I offically have five stories to my name, it's obviously gonna be those.

Kill OMS

4 years ago
It's a good story but it's definitely not #3 best story on the site good. Even 3J was pretty up front about popularity and ratings inflation being the cause of that.

This is just silly.

The story also contains a sex scene between 14 year olds a couple pages in. That's a little weird.

The question is, can we, the people of CYS, successfully coordinate to get it knocked off the Top 5 list that all new people immediately have presented to them as the BEST stories on the site? If you've rated it in the past, give it another look to see how it holds up today. If you've never rated it, get off your ass and do that.

http://chooseyourstory.com/Story/The_Order_of_the_Midnight_Sun.aspx

Some of you have a hefty amount of accumulated points. Let's put their weight to work, should be an interesting experiment if nothing else to see if ten years of accumulated 8s from nobodies can be successfully fought by something more reflective of current site standards.

Kill OMS

4 years ago
I have done my duty.

Kill OMS

4 years ago

Damn it, I don't have a save past that stupid quiz. Oh well, it's for a good cause.

Kill OMS

4 years ago

LMAO! I'll get that that bastard back for hogging that #3 top rating spot... I'm gonna rate his game a 7! That'll teach him! cheeky

Kill OMS

4 years ago
I changed my rating to a 5. Wanted to give it a 6 at first, since it is a pretty long story and I had fun playing it when I was still just a dumb kid. But then I lowered it for one more point, to speed things along a bit. I don't have that many points, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, you could always accidentally give those of us who want to help a bunch of points, so our ratings count more! :P

This also reminds me I need to go look through the Homo Perfectus series again; I know that young me rated them all an 8. They definitely don't deserve that much. Better that than WC trash though, I suppose.

Kill OMS

4 years ago

Still haven't gotten around to reading the Homo Perfectus games. I REALLY have to start reading stuff again. cheeky

Kill OMS

4 years ago
Progress! It's down to just #5 now. There's a bit of a hitch though; the #6 game, Death Song, is higher rated but while it has thousands of ratings, it's still not enough. The way rankings work with the current system heavily, heavily favors older games. And since almost everyone active has probably already rated Death Song (and at any rate we'd most likely need hundreds if not thousands more...) we might have reached the end of what this experiment can accomplish. Oh, and since it was brought up briefly in the Discord, just pointing out that while I'm pretty sure a scene involving minors like OMS has wouldn't be acceptable on the site today, in this case it's basically been grandfathered in. And it's important to keep in mind that at 13, JJJ was actually younger than the protagonist when he wrote it. It's just an author decision that happens to have aged uh, not very well, and some new members may have a much stronger reaction to that kind of thing than others. But if anything I consider it more valid to complain about the way the game is structured, as created you can't even rate it unless you like it enough to play allll the way through and pass the dang quizzes too. Again, JJJ was 13 so I don't think this was something intentionally planned, but it's something recognized as a kind of a cheap ratings inflation tactic today.

Kill OMS

4 years ago

Yeah, it's really frustrating how the rating system works, because it's based most heavily on how many ratings a game has... But then, the top five games are the ones that everybody sees when they first log onto the site... Meaning they get even more ratings... Meaning the other games are screwed. >.<

Kill OMS

4 years ago

... Oh wait... You did it. cheeky

Kill OMS

4 years ago

Wow, I just looked at it like ten minutes ago and it was still at the 5 spot, and now it's 6.

It's rare with the really popular old stories, but it also happened with Madglee's Mommy story going down several rankings in a short period of time.

Though in his case, his story got suddenly discovered by some weird youtube group that has the catch phrase "dink dink" and a shitload of them read the story and mass rated it. While the ratings did vary, a lot of them ended up bringing his 7.1 at the time to the 6.8 area it has now.

Kill OMS

4 years ago

Hey, isn't that your kids catch phrase? (Refer to http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/the-lounge/message/25313 for details.)

Using your own children to take out the competition... I'd expect nothing less. devil

Kill OMS

4 years ago
He's raising his children right

Kill OMS

4 years ago
Oh damn, should've held off on my post, but there was a noticeable ratings gap already and it didn't look like it was going to budge.

Great job everyone, we successfully beat up thirteen year old 3J!

....someone remind me to destroy the evidence if he ever comes back...

Kill OMS

4 years ago

Now this is more like it around here.

Kill OMS

4 years ago
Wonderful, guys. Such a beautiful pattern of names.

Kill OMS

4 years ago
^

Just too bad we don't see Berka around as much anymore, but he's just working too much at ... whatever he does. I just realized I actually have no idea. How mysterious. The Discord has really spoiled me on having loads of info for potential doxxing and blackmail material on most of you.

Kill OMS

4 years ago
OMS now has the same adjusted rating as Through Time. With just a little more effort, we could make it drop another position too.