Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Ideas die?

4 years ago

I'm looking to write my first story, but it seems as though every time I finally feel like I've got the one, I start to write it and sooner rather than later, it dies on me. I don't feel great about writing it. I've done everything that I normally do with real stories, I write out the characters, who they are, their lives, why they matter and why the reader cares about them, but I believe something within the story is not enough to hold a person's attention. My current idea was that a Young Adult who lives in a small town is enlisted to go off and fight in a war, but when he refuses, the kingdom starts to abduct people from his town. Upon them taking his dad, he finally decides to head out to the kingdom.
But where does the story go form there and could it hold the reader's attention? Do they enlist as a knight to fight in the war, hopefully to get their dad back, or do they join the knights to learn how to fight, only to take a stab at the one who stole his dad in the first place? 
It seems like the idea was originally good, but not thought out. I have trouble thinking of where it could go. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Things I could keep in mind, where this story could potentially go, and if it even sounds interesting to you?

Ideas die?

4 years ago

You can be the most inspired thinker of our time, but that's practically worthless if you're unable to express yourself. In fact, an average idea explained effectively - concisely and lucidly - is more persuasive. So, the ideal is to marry a great idea with a great execution. But that takes time to work up to; personally I'm learning to write more incisively since I tend to ramble on. For your first story, I wouldn't worry about having an ingenious plot line. Instead, I'd focus on practicing the micro - sentence structure, rhythm, imagery. If it's a joy to read, people will be willing to engage with your story.

Nevertheless, we can't just discount the big ideas which make up the 'backbone'. Having a strong, centralised theme is especially useful during planning. It underscores the different plot lines, character development and everything down to word choice. Is the core idea about enlistment and war? Is it about revenge and redemption? Knowing what that is will help you realise where the story should be heading. At that point, I would begin writing. During the process, other themes and ideas can be layered on and enhanced naturally.

Your idea is neither interesting or boring. Therefore, it's essential that you pay attention to the details. Hope this helps, good luck!

Ideas die?

4 years ago

Thank you for the words of wisdom. They did help. I want the reader to be able to choose which you they ant the story to go, whether that’s about revenge or redemption, but maybe as a first story, that’s not the angle I should be working towards. Thank you

Ideas die?

4 years ago
What you're describing is an epic of probably over a hundred thousand words. Try something smaller while you're getting a handle on things and developing your writing process. Like WAY smaller.

Ideas die?

4 years ago

Haha, yeah I;m starting to realize. Thank you