Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Dystopia

4 years ago

Dystopia, everyone assumes that it is full of terror and everything wrong in a world but that is only the face value. The definition stops before the real meaning becomes apparent. With all great empires, worlds and societies there was once dystopia. It is only the beginning and everything beyond is just fate brought on by the first actions. Dystopia only comes around again when a society fails to continually grow and prosper. Just like any natural forest, an old society must fall to grow back stronger. The only thing standing between the fall of a society is the survivors and that is all who remain. The strong, the fast, the brave, the brains, and most important of all, the lucky. Take the Aztec for example, they became stable in their power and grew to control a slew of land left, right, up and down. However, once they owned all this land and controlled all these people, they became stagnant. They continued their traditions of course and watched the stairs but beyond this they did nothing. They did not increase their knowledge on weapons or armor because they assumed nothing could match them in power. They did not seek knew knowledge because they assumed, they knew it all. This is the fault of many societies and because of this fault many fall into dystopia when another has made their presence known. When the Spanish first arrived and traded and finally enslaved the populace around their landing area, they were something of a god or all-powerful warrior. As the Spanish moved across the land mass and conquered tribes left and right, only then did the Aztecs believe that the Spanish were led by Quetzalcoatl, the god of life, light and wisdom. Had they been more prepared and continued to grow their empire and their knowledge of everything around them they would have been more prepared to defend themselves from invaders, instead the Aztecs gave their throne to him. Therefore, dystopia is not all evil and terrible. Only the survivors can keep a group going, only the people that are motivated to become better in everyway can stand the test of time. Dystopia is no evil, only the very beginning of something far greater, something far better for a society. Corruption always wins in the end and therefor there must be a way to cleanse any society of such corruption. Dystopia is a tool. A powerful tool that is not controlled by simple beings. There are many shows, books, movies etc. About dystopias and all the horrors that people must face and for many of these the ending always seems somber but as many people have said, great things take time. The struggles that are faced by these survivors are struggles that they will remember and not allow to happen again. They will be smarter naturally from past experiences and will pass that on for future generations that is why dystopia is just a cycle. A cycle of nature cannot be bad or good. It is just the way it is.

Dystopia

4 years ago

Got one of my own!

“Jonathan, are you ready?” A soft voice asks me, and I turn to see the my mother standing before me. I look around, taking in the view of the neighborhood I grew up in for the last time. All around me, the neighbors I have known since I could remember wave me goodbye, the adults looking almost sad - almost regretful. Confident, I nod my head.

“Yes, I am ready,” I declare, and I am instantly lead by the hand inside a building on the neighborhood’s edge. Excitement courses through me - after all, this is the only building in the neighborhood that I have never entered, and after a decade I am walking in full stride. The interior of the building, however, is almost underwhelming. In the center of the large room sits a school desk, a clipboard holding some paperwork on top.

“Fill these out, Jonathan,” My mother says, handing me a pen. With that, she turns around and leaves the building - and the door vanishes the moment she leaves, being replaced by solid wall. The windows too also vanish, featureless wall taking their places. A choking darkness consumes the room, but moments later a lone light turns on, shining on the desk. Taking that as a cue to go to the desk, I head there.

The paperwork, upon inspection, looks strange. It asks me questions about things such as, “Exploration,” or “Virtual Reality.” I fill in many of the answers to the best of my ability, but these questions catch me off guard, especially when it comes to asking me what I want to be as an adult - I have never truly thought of it! After what feels like hours, I finally finish off the stack of paperwork.

“Good Jonathan, now place the work inside the desk,” My mother voice projects through the room. I quickly look around, but I do not see her. Doing as she said like I always do, I pop open the top of the desk, placing the clipboard inside. The instant I close the desk back up, however, the light cuts off again.

I have never been a fan of the darkness, and now it is so thick that I couldn’t see my hands right in front of my face. The darkness remains for around a minute - although it feels like an eternity - when the light cuts back on. The first thing I notice is the absence of the desk, which must of been removed in the confusion. In it’s place, however, is a wall of text, spelling out a strange message.

“You have completed the Virtual Assimilation Tracking System. Please remove your headset at this time,” I read to myself, confused at the words. I look around - and see my mother approaching me.

“Happy Tenth Birthday, Jonathan,” my mother says - and to my utmost shock, a single tear falls out of her eye. My mother, who was always so emotionless, is crying. I was so confused as to why, until I removed the headset, and looked at the real world for what it was.

Dystopia

4 years ago
Paragraphs are a wonderful invention

Dystopia

4 years ago

@Digit here is my first prompt response. 681 words. 

Samuel could feel the wind rushing through his hair as he sped down the busy urban highway. With his hands at the wheel of his new Model 11, Sam felt unstoppable. He was invincible, and not a soul in this city could hurt him in any way. Then the road ended. Government funding cuts led to unfinished highways, and this happened to be one of them. Samuel went hurtling off of the road at top speed, not fully realizing what was happening until it was too late. He began to panic and shake, unbuckling himself from the car and searching for a safe way out. The car smashed into the ground, and everything went black…

Samuel awoke in a soft bed surrounded by bright lights, when he realized that he couldn’t move his limbs. He began to get nervous, and look around the room to observe his surroundings. Sam noticed that he was in a hospital room, and all around him was surveillance technology of some kind.

Sam began to call out, “Hello? Is anybody there? Can you hear me?” He twisted around and called out louder. As the twisting became more violent, a doctor finally walked into the room.

“Hello Samuel, welcome to the hospital. You have been in a horrible crash, and —”

“Yeah! I know that thanks. But why am I surrounded by cameras and in an isolated room? What’s going on here?” Sam yelled in response. The doctor simply smiled and turned away, walking out of the room.

The cameras suddenly snapped on, and began to speak in a synthetic voice, “Hello Samuel. You have been selected for biological testing for the betterment of humankind. Your sacrifice will save many others. Testing beginning in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.”

Panels in the ceiling suddenly opened up, and robotic claws descended from them. Unable to resist, Samuel just closed his eyes and waited, as the claws began to pick up his limbs to examine them. They twisted his arms around in order to get good viewpoints, causing Samuel to grimace in pain. Right from the outside of the room, the doctor could be heard taking notes, and Samuel focused on that sound to help block out the pain. The claws continued to inspect him, moving on to his head. They poked at his eyes and nose, and lifted up his lips to examine his dental structure. After an excruciatingly long hour, the claws finally retracted back into the ceiling and disappeared. The doctor walked back into the room and gave Samuel a smile.

“Well Samuel, good news!” the doctor exclaimed, “As it turns out, that claw investigation was all we needed for this experi- medical procedure. You are now free to leave the hospital.”

“There’s just one problem with that,” Sam replied, “I can’t move. My limbs refuse to respond to my brain signals, and therefore I am stuck in this bed.”

The doctor frowned, and rubbed his chin as if evaluating this statement. He finally looked back at Samuel and spoke. “Unfortunately, I’m not sure I can help with that. I can, however, deal with you.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Sam questioned.

“Let’s just say you won’t have to deal with this problem anymore,” the doctor replied coldly, before lifting Samuel off of the bed and hoisting him over his shoulder. As they walked down the hallway, Samuel protested and yelled but the doctor just continued to tread forward. They finally reached a door and walked through it. Samuel looked around and saw a large garbage disposal. He began to panic and twist around, causing the doctor to turn his head and scowl at him.

“Maybe you should have been more careful when driving,” he stated coldly, dropping Samuel off of a platform and into the disposal. For the next 10 minutes, all that could be heard was an excruciating crunching noise. When it finally died out, the doctor pulled out a radio and spoke into it, “Call the cleaning room over to sector 3. We have another situation with the garbage disposal.”

Let me know how I can fix it. Thanks!

Dystopia

4 years ago

This is Serpent's dystopian story, pasted here for ease of access.

Day 1.

—————-

As the warlord looked out his window he could not help but smile. His creation, his perfect picture of the world, had been fulfilled. Whole societies run by A.I overseers, the branded working in the mines, oh what a beautiful site. Ever since the Great War everything thing has been perfect. The dirt where they should be, serving the rightful good. The nobles where they should be, crushing the branded under their boot. He is not sure if he is good, nor does he care. For there is no such thing as true justice, justice is decided by the victor.

1000 years ago

The war was just beginning. The Fellers, as they were known, against the Ascended. The Fellers were the common folk, they were everywhere. The Ascended, however, were what everyone called the elfs. While the Fellers greatly outnumbered them, the Ascended were much more powerful.

So when the Fellers called war on them, they sort of surged it off. Though they were wrong to be so arrogant, for it would not be that easy.

After war was declared the Ascended stayed in their woods, not caring at all about the challenge. This turned out to be a grave mistake, for while they had enchanted the forest to be fireproof, even enchantments fail when faced with an army of flamethrowers. As such what would later be called the battle of enswazya was one by the Fellers

Though this would not be unnoticed by the Ascended. They were pissed after an estimate 20000 of their kind were killed of the estimated 50000 that were alive at the time. They retaliated with the battle of sywazendale

At this battle the elfs launched a large scale fire attack on the southern part of Feller territory, burning millions in the process. This however took a lot of energy leaving a lot of them defenseless.a good amount were killed in that battle from both sides. As the Ascended were growing desperate they sent a young one, named Gavin Nightblossom, to the place of the gods to seek help.

Gavin had a hard journey to the land of the gods. It took him nearly a years to make his pilgrimage, on account of the bears and bandits. Their were so many he could not even remember the amount of times he was attacked. Anyway by the time he got there he was ragged and beat up, and that was a problem considering he had to prove himself worthy.

It was a hard battle but he had one. His task was to retrieve a orb from a skeletal graveyard. No matter how many times he killed them they just came back. Once he returned he was on the brink of death. The gods took him in and healed him. Then they started his training.

His training was long and hard. They had him strained almost all the time with rarely any time to relax. Anytime he collapsed they revived him and put him back to work. By the time his body got into enough shape to handle the training he thought he was done. Except he wasn’t. It was time for stage two.

There were very few Ascended left in the final battle only a few thousand. It seemed like the Fellers were going to win, until a shadow loomed over the field. It was a dragon. Though not just a dragon, but a dragon with a Ascended on its back.

The dragon went and killed every last feller on the battlefield. The ones remaining who were not fighting surrendered, and as such the Fellers fell and the Ascended ascended.

————————

It had been 1000 years since the warlord Gavin had seen even the slightest hint of a rebellion, yet here it was. His systems offline, a army at his door. He did not even have the strength to summon a dragon try as he might. He pondered his life choices, if he was right. As he did this they kept killing more and more of the guards, coming near his room. As they burst it open his head was cut clean off, and with that clean blow the Fellers ascended and the Ascended fell.

Dystopia

4 years ago
@Digit

All your indentured servants suck at dystopias.

Dystopia

4 years ago

Whine, whine. Make your own 500 word dystopian, then you can complain.

Dystopia

4 years ago
k

Mizal's Dystopia Story

4 years ago
The contents of the long-necked bottle tasted like it could be a mix of fermented rat piss and industrial cleaner, and Tare wouldn’t have been surprised if it contained traces of both. But the burn felt good going down, and had a bracing effect against the bone-chilling cold of the night. Passing the drink back to the friend beside him, Tare wiped his mouth with the back of a torn glove and said with a chuckle, “Do I even want to know where you snagged that?” “You don’t. I know I always say that but trust me, this time you really, really don’t.” Kennet underlined his answer with a sudden whoop of the wild laughter Tare had come to know so well. True there seemed little enough to laugh about; here they were, spending another night huddled on the concrete in front of a trashcan fire while a wind with a deep bite of frost whipped through the razor wire guarding the warehouses and shopping centers and the neglected, garbage-strewn streets of the Outer Ten District. But any number of small luxuries were always finding their way into Kennet’s hands, and the uncommonly good luck no doubt kept him cheerful. Maybe he was a little cracked, but then who in this District wasn’t? Tonight their only other company was a hollow-cheeked, hollow-eyed man sitting against a crumbling wall opposite them, just within the radius of the fire’s glow. He had said nothing when he joined them, only staring into the dancing flames, and that had been nearly an hour ago. “You don’t say much, do you oldtimer?” Tare asked him. The man, probably only in his fifties but with eyes that made him look ten years older, gave no indication of having heard him. “Got a name, old man?” he tried again after a moment. The liquor had been passed back to him, and the warmth was spreading through him now and putting him in an unusually friendly mood. “Here, try a swig of--” Kennet hastily grabbed the bottle back, clicking his tongue as he swirled its meager remains around and then stuffed it in his backpack. “He doesn’t need this stuff melting his brain anymore than it already is. Just leave him alone, it’s what he wants. And YOU’VE had enough.” Tare shrugged amiably and changed the subject. The two chatted about inconsequential things a bit as the cold crept in from the deepening night. A short while later, they heard the footsteps. Boots tapping on the pavement, far too decisive and with too much direction to be anyone who had any business in the Outer Ten. The friends exchanged wary looks just before the light shined in their faces. “Here’s a couple that might do. You boys have ID chips?” asked a brusque voice. It didn’t sound as if it belonged to a man that was used to being kept waiting or denied, and there were others with him. Of course they didn’t have IDs. Who did, out here? Even the most empty-handed C-Class would be trying their luck at getting into a shelter in the Interior, on a night like tonight. A glance showed Tare that the silent old man from before had already melted back into the shadows somewhere. He felt a jolt of nervous queasiness as he stammered out an answer in the negative, squinting in the blinding light, the liquor churning in his stomach. Almost before he could process what was happening he and Kennet were being herded along, men on either side with a tight grasp on their arms. He tried to bolt when he saw a sleek black hovership with the familiar emblem proudly emblazoned on it waiting in a rubble-strewn lot, but a stun rod was applied to the side of his neck and he was carried senseless the last few yards and secured on board. By morning he was standing in line for a cursory medical exam, and by noon his head was shaved and he was issued a pair of scratchy, ill-fitting fatigues. He occasionally caught glimpses of Kennet across the crowded station as all the ragged unfortunates without ID chips were being assigned their numbers, and was able to make eye contact just before being herded onto one transport while Kennet was put on another. Training went by in a blur of shouting, sleeplessness, pain and exhaustion, and then he was being shipped offworld. From the crowded bunkrooms, there was no view of the stars. He’d been on the planet nearly a year; scorching in the heat of the savannah, plunging through the swamps delirious with fever, going where they told him to go and shooting at whoever they told him to shoot before he even learned the planet’s name. And then he was sent to another. He forgot his name and became his number. In an Arctic land, icy plains blackened with the dead piled to block the wind, he saw Kennet one last time, through the sights of his weapon. Kennet--a number now as well and Kennet no longer--had been caught stealing rations, and a firing squad had been hastily arranged. Four years later, he was released from his contract. They were thoughtful enough to return him to the Outer Ten. Shuffling across the cracked, garbage strewn streets in the deepening twilight, he felt the bitter cold seep into his bones. He had an ID chip now; C-Class, for his service. He could get into a shelter, if he could find one that wasn’t full. But the light of a trash can fire drew him in like a moth, and he simply sat in silence, staring through the shapes in the flames at something far away. The others huddled there for warmth spoke to him once or twice, but he gave no answer; soon enough they too would learn it was easier not to ask questions.

Mizal's Dystopia Story

4 years ago

You really went and did it. I am actually surprised. yes

Mizal's Dystopia Story

4 years ago
Yes ikr my expectations for myself actually getting a thing done were pretty low too!

Dystopia

4 years ago

Rank them

Dystopia

4 years ago
Mine wins, losers don't matter.

Dystopia

4 years ago

And you can’t argue or she’ll ban you.