Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Let's Start Over... I’m a cowardly faggot!

4 years ago

Hello there!

My name is BluePony. I'm a young writer with lots of ideas.

I've already posted an introduction (titled "Greetings, Brethren". Lame, I know, but I was in the fantasy mood.), however I read it to myself earlier and, well, I realize it's...cringe worthy. I'm so very very sorry.

Therefore, I've decided to post a better one. This one:

I'm an aspiring author between the age of 16 and 26. I'm interested in many different genres, but mainly Fantasy, Adventure, Sci-Fi, and a tad of Romance. I'm very strict when it comes to swearing. I'm very easily offended by it. 

Fun facts: I hate nuts and coconuts, but I like peanuts. I'm learning Tolkien's Elvish because I'm a huge nerd. I'm a dog person. 

In my first introduction, I received very quick responses. Thank you for that. I wanted to reply, but my phone wasn't working. :( I will take your advice to heart and, in fact, I already have. :)

I've decided to put a hold on my fantasy adventure (tbh, it was really just me trying to figure out how this stuff worked. I wasn't really being serious with it) and work on a new story that I've had in mind for a long time. 

However, in order to write this story, I have a very important question...

Can you edit your story after it's already been published? 

I'm asking this because I want to try something new. If you have played the game Choices or possibly Episodes, you know that with the newer stories, a new chapter is added every few weeks or so.

That's what I want to do. I want to write an ongoing story that can grow bit by bit at least once a month. 

Anyway, that's all I can think of typing right now. :P 

4 years ago

Hello again. I seem to recall that you liked text RPGs as well? 

Don’t worry, I used to try to learn Klingon, I’m horrible at it though. I am no longer learning it, and the Duolingo owl allows me to compensate by learning Spanish instead. jIyaj'be.

Your grammar seems decent, and you are pretty literate. 

About the ongoing story, do something like EndMaster, who regularly posts short stories right here

No, you can’t edit a story once it’s been published. You need to unpublish it before you can edit it again. 

4 years ago

So I can unpublish it, edit it (by adding the next chapter), then publish it again? Would that work? 

And yes, I do like text Rps but I'm starting to second guess that. :P 

4 years ago

You can do that, but why not just simply write the entire thing, without going through the whole ‘publishing and unpublishing and republishing’ thing?

4 years ago

Well, I find that it's hard to write an entire novel in one shot. I find writing a story bit by bit, getting feedback and suggestions, is an easier experience. Another thing is that is you have a cliffhanger, the reader will probably come back to find out what happens next. 

However, reading the replies, it seems that my initial idea isn't a very good one. :(

4 years ago
This is almost an impressive number of bad ideas and wrong assumptions crammed into one tiny post lol.

But yes, it is much easier to write a fragment than a complete story, you're right about that. In the first thread it was suggested that you take some time to read some of the other stories on the site. This might give you some ideas all on its own on what does well and what doesn't.

4 years ago
I guarantee you that if you end a storygame on a cliffhanger I will adjust my rating downward accordingly, mention how retarded that was in my comment, and never go back to the story again because I have better things to do with my time tjan keep careful track of whether or not something in a format not designed for episodes has been updated.

4 years ago

It’s generally frowned upon to publish an incomplete story, whether you are planning on continuing it or not. 

4 years ago
Not sure why you need a second announcement thread but ok. Noobs generally get some slack so you should be fine, just don’t be annoying to anyone who has been on this site for awhile and you’ll be good. Don’t tag EndMaster, whatever you do.

Moving back to the annoying point, I get that you’re against cursing, but this is an Internet forum and most of us live in countries with free speech laws. Get with it or get the fuck out (or you can just ignore it). To respond to your question, no you can’t edit after publishing, admins can so get help from them. Or you can also unpublish the story, edit it then republish it.

Anyway, the name BluePony worries me, if you are a Brony, don’t mention it on this site and you’ll be fine. Nobody on this site is gonna stop cursing anytime soon, so keep that in mind and tread carefully. Good luck with your story :).

4 years ago

No, I am not a "Brony" whatever that is. I assume it has to do with My Little Pony. Fear not, I dislike the show. 

4 years ago
Welcome again. Here you can write what you like. However, I will tell you that "coming soon" and "part 1" for stories are generally made fun of quite a bit. If you can break it into complete stories that stand alone with additional adventures, that could work, though. Good luck.

4 years ago

Oh yeah, read this.

4 years ago
Hi, welcome to CYS! Here's a beautiful love story, perfect for newbies like you.

I'd advise against writing your story in episodes. There are other platforms designed for that, CYS isn't one. Iirc, you lose all the ratings if you unpublish a story, and when you republish it it won't be in the new storygames list, so people won't know it's been edited. Also, we're not all that fond of demos and unfinished stories.

There are a few exceptions, of course. For example, currently only the male main path for Rogues is published, the female one will be added later. Pretty sure End did the same for Eternal, too. However, in those cases, each main path is it's own complete story, from start to finish, which I assume isn't the case with your idea.

4 years ago

Wait EndMaster is adding a path to play as the sister in Rouges?

4 years ago

*Fangirl SQUEEEEEEEAL!!!!* ^_^

4 years ago

^ what she said

4 years ago
Wait what, so you just immediately assume the female path will be called 'Rouges'? I'm offended.

4 years ago

... I'm gonna call you "My Little Brony."

Anyways, welcome to the site! Lots of great games to read here. Highly recommend everything by Endmaster and BerkaZerka. Hope you have lots of fun! ^_^

4 years ago

I'd recommend everything by Avery_Moore, too!

4 years ago

Yey! ... Though I only have one game published at the minute, but working on more. ^_^

4 years ago

I don't know if it's a good idea to continuously add to your story unless you just publish each addition separately as a series. I imagine people won't really want to go back to your story again after they already completed it just to see what additions you have made. If you're going to do this, I think it would be better just to make several installments of a larger series.

Also welcome!

4 years ago

Probably would have been braver of you to give Eternal a 1 under your BluePony handle, rather than attempting to give multiple "anonymous" driveby 1 ratings to it.

4 years ago
Wait, you mean to tell me that a noob is being really dumb AND a faggot? Well that certainly isn't a combo we see every day...