Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago

So, as you can probably tell, I'm a newbie. Just joined today, and already have three storygames in the making. The weird thing is, when I was a kid, I absolutely HATED books where you "pick your own path" or something like that. I don't really know why my opinion of storygames changed, but I'm actually really glad it did and that I discovered this website. 

I mean, you get to write a GAME with items and any type of plot obstacle you want! (But of course, if you're a member of this site, you already know that! I'm just uber excited!!). 

I guess this is sort of an introduction to this site on my part. 

Hello! I am Gubblegum! Anyone want to be friends? 

Or does anybody know the answer to a question I've been wondering... is it possible to make a box around the items you add to a story? I think I saw it in somebody's storygame and have been wondering how it's done so I can incorporate it into some of mine!! 

So far I think it's just coding...but I'll be right here if anybody knows the answer!!

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago
Welcome to the site. I'd noticed you earlier and poked around in the nuclear apocalypse story, looks promising if you can stick with it. (As for the others...well just a fair warning that 'random' games lacking in plots don't typically do too well here so you'll really have to impress if you're set on doing unconnected puzzles. Tying them together with at least a thin plot thread would go a long way.)

You'll need to disable the Rich Text Editor in your profile settings and learn to use HTML to do anything truly fancy with formatting. If you just mean the line around the inventory items though, that's something the editor does by default.

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago

Thanks! I didn't know that site users could see stories that aren't published...but I'll be sure to stick with it! 

I used to know a lot of HTML, but some sites use BBC code as well, and I wasn't sure. I was imagining a sort of box...I'm sure I'll figure it out!

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago
If you have Sneak Peek checked in the storygame settings, it's accessible to anyone feeling nosy enough.

By the way, I have a feeling you might enjoy reading Ground Zero.

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago

Hmmm...thanks for telling me. I think I better uncheck it, at least before I feel confident enough in my writing. 

Ground Zero...sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation! 

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago
Welcome to the site! I hope you... wait, how do you know I'm a site member? Are you stalking me?

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago

Most definitely... devil 

Time to check that IP address....

I'm actually not a stalker and never intend to be. smiley

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago
Hiya! Welcome to the site. The fact that your entrance post contained a whole 6 paragraphs with correct spelling and grammar throughout is extremely promising. (You'd be surprised how many new members we get who introduce themselves with, "i cum here becaud i luv riting!!!1!11!")

Looking forward to reading your games. ^_^

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 8/2/2019 7:40:59 AM

Welcome to CYS.

Since you seem literate, I suppose it's worth my while to recommend some stories. Now the obvious recommendation is, "anything by EndMaster," but I feel like putting in some effort here.

Fantasy:
Necromancer by EndMaster. If you like that, I suggest moving on to Death Song and Eternal.
Innkeeper by EndMaster. This is in a low fantasy setting, and has an epic sequel called Rogues which is very, very good.
The Bard's Tale by Pugpup. This is actually a poem and in quite an interesting format. It's a good, underrated story for when you want a quick read.

Science Fiction:
Ground Zero by EndMaster. While this was not the story that brought me to the site, I attribute it to being the reason I am still here. It is an awesome post-apocalyptic story with great variety in the branches.
Marooned on Giri Minor by Bill Ingersoll. As someone who only likes a handful of space stories, I found this very enjoyable. There is a much longer sequel that just came out too that is on my short list of things to read when I have time.
Paradise Violated by EndMaster. This is another of the few space stories I really liked, and it is probably the story I have read the most on CYS. It's awesome and deserves more recognition than it gets. So I am glad it is featured now.

Modern Adventure:
Bestist Friend Jane by IAP. It starts off a little slow, but, yes, it WILL have meaningful choices, and it DOES have many endings worth reading. One thing I particularly liked was the care put into the death endings. In fact, my favorite endings were probably some of the death endings.
Duck Park by Don't Eat Poop. One of the site's funniest stories. My only real complaint is how similar some of the endings are, but each path is worth reading anyway.
Now, Suzy's Strange Saga is an amazing story and is featured, yes, but I would recommend reading most of EndMaster's other stories--especially his modern setting stories--before SSS. While SSS can be read independently, there are so many references and things tied together, that it will be more fun if saved for last. Besides, all End's modern setting stories are absolutely hilarious and worth reading.

Other:
Dusty Fist by Chris. Another hilarious story. This one pulls off absurd humor very well.
Inseperable by mizal. I never thought I would enjoy a gay romance. Mizal proved me wrong.
Don't Hurt Me Again by WIBN. This is an engaging, unnerving, and sometimes even humorous horror.

Hi-lo!!!!

4 years ago

Hullo to you too! Mayhaps we can start our adventure on this site together *^^*