Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

What brought me here? Nostalgia, baby...

4 years ago

I used to play AD&D 1st Edition when I was just a little nard...back in the 80s when the media was telling us Dungeons and Dragons was a gateway drug that lead to suicide...or even worse...DEVIL WORSHIP (cue overly dramatic music)! Anyway, Dungeons and Dragons was owned back then by a British company called TSR. TSR released a series of books called "Endless Quest". Looking back...yes...they were a little cheesy (they even released Dungeons and Dragons romance "Endless Quest" books targeting girls)...but back then, MAN! Were they the absolute shizzy nizzy! I had a whole bookshelf jammed full of them! Each time a new one was released, I had my friendly neighborhood RPG gaming/comic shop order it for me. Two titles that are stuck firmly in my head are Revolt of the Dwarves and Revenge of the Rainbow Dragons. Good stuff! So, I am now 47 years old and hoping to capture some of that old magic from back in the day.

4 years ago

Path of Death and Dungeon stompage sound like the stories for you. Eternal, Necromancer, Death's song, and Rogues are some of the darker side of that old school fantasy stuff. The Last Chieftain is also a solid read. Something that isn't quite on the D&D side of things but is pretty close is "The Price of Freedom: Innocence lost". It's Classical period, no fantasy, but still a good read. Sir Osis is worth a look if you want something absurd, or silly. Or just want to try a game with an incompetent character.

4 years ago
Yesss another adult. At this rate we may be able to just take the site from the children without having to wait 4-8 years for them to be converted to our side the natural way.

4 years ago
Hey, welcome old timer!

Your username throws up a red flag though haha!

4 years ago

I like the time jump from the '80s ... to "now I am 47 years old."

It sort of does feel like that sometimes, actually.

4 years ago
The 1980's, golden era of gamebooks :D As a child in the 90's I remember buying the Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf series and others from second-hand book shops and charity shops. If your into D and D I'd recommend the Fantasy section, BerkaZerka's Delve and Dungeon Stompage are both brilliant but there's a ton of good stuff on there.

4 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_Quest

Had a few of these, though the ones that I played through a lot were:

Dungeon of Dread

The Dragon's Ransom

King's Quest

Lair of the Lich

We had a whole thread on the FF series in the Reading Room forum (Not that anyone reads that area much)

http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/reading-corner/message/24306

4 years ago
Nice.

Quick note: TSR was not a British company, it was started by Gary Gygax in 1973 as Tactical Studies Rules. But yes, everything they made was pretty much pure awesomeness.

Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your time here!