Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was accepted 8/19/2019: Accepted -- sort of. See comments.

Hand Picked Top Games Category

4 years ago
Get rid of School Games or Love & Dating and put up a 'hand picked by admins' category. PoF would be on it as well as some of Endmaster's fantasy stuff. It would solve the problem of the Top Games by Rating being infinitely set in stone with games from forever ago, as well as the fact that there's functionally only been two fantasy slots to fight over for years on a site that has a LOT of fantasy authors.

4 years ago
Just to port over some of what's been brought up in the Discord, with most readers and authors preferring fantasy and the like, WHY are cateogories no one gives a crap about taking up just as much space on the page? All of them with sub par stories being just arbitrarily shoved into them like 'here noobs, this is our "best", these stories with sometimes major flaws that are here just by virtue as being not as garbage as the others, that no one would ever recommend if you were to make a thread asking for reading suggestions.' The featured list should be showing off the best stories on the site, period. In hindsight, arranging them by category was probably a mistake, but that's now what we have to work with and around.

4 years ago
Perhaps a solution is to determine the number of stories that appear on the top list based on the number in the category.

For example, school-based has 44 stories, so maybe their "top" list only gets 2 items on the front page where fantasy has 163, so that top list get 8 items.

I know the boxes would have to adjust in size, but that's not difficult.

4 years ago
Good news, we already figured this out in the Discord.

4 years ago
IS HARD DISCORD BEING?

4 years ago

So what exactly was figured out on Discord? I was following for a while until the discussion got too confusing, and then finally derailed.

Another existing site feature that might be retooled is the "Top 5 Storygames in Need" list, which is usually (not always) a collection of mediocre stories from years ago that are close to getting 100 ratings. Maybe this could be converted to show highly-rated stories with low readership?

4 years ago
That’s a great idea Bill- I think this would give writers a lot more motivation to continue writing if they produce high quality content, which is frankly more important than getting a mid 3/4 from 2014 past 100 ratings.

4 years ago

I don't see why we can't just have an EndMaster temple category.

4 years ago

That would properly glorify you and also make room for everyone else. 

4 years ago

Removing categories and creating new categories is a lot of work and it should all eventually be destroyed anyway in favor of better game searchability, etc.

What we can do for now is allow any category to have any number of featured stories and then just randomly determine which 6 of the featured stories to display when the page loads.

4 years ago

I think it would also be worthwhile to have a spotlight section for the front page, as has been suggested. Admins can put stories there regardless of their featured status or rating. It would be restricted to stories with fewer than 50 ratings (or 100 or something) and those not published in the last week (or something).

4 years ago

Awesome, my idea (that some others also had iirc) is getting used.