Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 8/28/2019 4:46:41 PM

The ragged, cracked landscape loomed up before them, vast in the viewscreen of the ship's helm. 

"Where are we?" asked Ensign Ford.

"Infinity."

"Why do they call this place 'Infinity'?" chirped the communications officer.

"A long time ago, decades, perhaps, this was a thriving colony planet.  Though it had infinite possibilities, I suppose.  Now, not so much," said the hooded captain with a slight shake of his head.  People abandoned it.  Sometimes a place just...dies."

The CYS Marine Commander Mizal checked and rechecked her weapon reflexively.  "Anyone down there still?"

"You'll get your fun," the captain assured her. 

"Where are we again?" asked Ensign Ford.

The communications officer turned from her console, considering the planet on the viewscreen thoughtfully.  "Anything salvageable?  Why come all the way to the neutral zone?"

"When they left, they abandoned their mine.  Mostly dross.  But there's some hidden gems.  And I aim to claim them for the Empire of CYS," the hooded captain said.

The Marauder-class Battlecruiser loomed over Infinity.  Grim trophies were nailed to the kiel of the ship.  A snake, a warrior cat, a wolf.  All symbols, no doubt, of defeated clans. 

Science Officer Ogre stepped forward.  "This is a class 3-J planet.  You know what that means.  Watch your step.  You're not back in the Discord system.  The air here is purer than we're used to.  I've personally filled these tanks with breathable air for everyone."  He handed round masks, breathers, and tanks full of the mildly toxic atmosphere the CYStians were most comfortable in.

"Look." The captain suddenly paused.

"What?" the red-haired marine commander said, following his gaze.

"We're not the only ones here.   You may get your fun sooner than I thought.  Oh, they're hailing us.  It was a message of friendship and collaboration in the spirit of building bridges."

His finger hovered over the launcher for the omni-directional acid cannon.  But he did not press it.

"Reply to them, Lt. Cricket."

"Sir?"

"Reply to them."

"Oh, I see.  Yes, I know exactly what to send them.  My favorite..."

"No, no.  Encourage them.  Tell them that we shall meet them on Infinity without weapons.  Tell them we have fought too long, and that it is time for us to lay down arms."

"I'll just send this picture of a fluffy white dog."

"Fine, fine."

The captain met the eye of his marine commander.

"Prepare to greet them."

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Commended by ninjapitka on 8/28/2019 1:38:18 PM

This is awesome and makes me want to take part in the contest.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

It's obviously a trap. We should fix bayonets for the Empire.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Holy fuck. This made my day. :D

So...many....injokes....

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

How it feels when Gower includes Ford but not Chris or Tim

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Ford does important things. Mostly trolling the trolls and meme related things, but still important. He's also been here since shortly after the beginning.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

>He's also been here since shortly after the beginning.

He joined in 2013, 12 years after the site was made.

Ford is basically our village idiot that we all laugh at to make ourselves feel better.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

You're right. For some odd reason I thought I saw a post from 2007 from him. The rest of my reasoning still stands. What do Chris and Tim bring to the table is what you should have gone with.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
You're edging dangerously close to unacceptable levels of heresy.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Why Gower Should Have Added Chris And Tim, a thesis by Chris of 11302 the Second:

- We provide your dose of wholesome with our strong platonic bond.
- I have actually done useful things for the site including writing a featured story.
- Tim has a collection of haha funny jokes.
- At this point, we are a household name is CYStian culture.
- We'd really want to be included.

Boom, five reasons, fuck you, pay me.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

I'll take it. Somebody give Chris five of my points.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

I would like to make a formal request that Chris and Tim be included in the next installment.

My reasoning is this "You pull the carbine out of it's holster on your horse and slap it's flank..." I'm learning.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

I see what was done here.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

I agree.  Chris and Tim will both be characters who escaped from the holo-suite and have escaped into the computer network.  Tim, a pin-striped gangster with a tommy gun, and Chris, a Dickensian orphan with a penchant for pickpocking silk handkerchiefs.  Together, they fuse with the computer's AI and essentially *are* the computer.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

I approve.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
lol.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
That's no dog. I think we slipped into the wrong sci fi universe for a bit and just sent them a Tribble.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

This once was a wolf.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

The two typos are driving me nuts.   "The air here is purer that we're used to.  I'm personally filled these tanks..."

Damn you, edit lock.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Fixed.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
I'm surprised you wrote Cricket to be diplomatic. I'd imagine Cricket would jump at the first opportunity to get violent. (Please don't hurt me Cricket)

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Cricket is the ideal communications officer.  You come down to the bridge, she's sitting there at her console.  You load some antimatter torpedoes, drill some marines, eat dinner, go to sleep.  Eleven hours later, she's *still* there responding to hails and ignoring distress beacons.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Ja, pretty much.
Seven days a week, 365 days a year. (I take Leap Day off)

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Nice ^v^

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Well I liked it.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Waitaminute.

It took me this long to realize we're all breathing Ogre's farts.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Ditto.
Now I can hardly breathe at all.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Ficsean doesn't get a cameo! Oh, the humanity!

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
If we bothered to bring you at all we'd have already gotten sick of you locking yourself in the brig to sleep for two weeks everytime you were asked to do anything.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

It would probably be best if people like Ficsean and myself avoided this storyline. I'm aware of my rank here and I would be surprised if it was much higher than redshirt. Do you know what Cogites do to redshirts when they take us alive Ficsean, DO YOU!?

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

I have lived as a prisoner of the CYStian empire longer than I can remember, there is NOTHING those damned CoGites can think of that I haven't seen or experienced!

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Commended by EndMaster on 8/29/2019 5:51:25 AM

You're welcome. ;~)

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Thank you. They both look so COOL

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Amazing!  This is the best.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
The first fan art of me! :D

Both of these are just impressively great though, even without context I think anyone would say they were awesome.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Thank you! I drew them instead of sleeping, and I think it was worth it.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
Love the pen and ink old-school feel. Seems quite appropriate a medium to render EndMaster in too haha!

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

Dope 

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago
When is it going to be addressed that the captain has been to this planet before, and practically ruled the place?

When the away team goes out into the ruins, the 50 ft high statues will be hard to miss.

Contact at Infinity

4 years ago

i didn't forget—that's for the away team story.  It is almost as if you are looking over my shoulder watching me write.  Creepy.