Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.
This bug was closed 1/4/2023: Maybe it just fixed itself like magic!

Number of Ratings not showing up

4 years ago

For my game, at least, the number of ratings is not showing up; it was at 49 ratings, so not sure if this has something to do with the change in the threshold for getting ranked now.

4 years ago

Whenever I've seen this, it's been very transient. I bet if you look back, it will say the correct number again. When it does happen, it affects all games indiscriminately, so it's definitely not to do with the rating threshold. I suspect a proc runs every X minutes to recalculate rating, and while it's running, that's what we get.

4 years ago
It's working now anyway.

4 years ago

Thanks, you were quite right--it was a passing thing.  I got suspicious, because I've noticed every once in a while a proc doesn't seem to happen, like my percent of games rated not changing when I *know* I rated a whole bunch since the last proc, or my holding the "Of Avon" title one more day than I should.

4 years ago

Yes — that’s a known issue that seems to compound around releases, so I think it’s a server infrastructure one. That’s the nightly proc though and much heavier. Probably unrelated to this proc which runs more frequently.

btw the nightly proc runs at 1AM EST in case you’re curious.

4 years ago

Weirdly, the "Of Avon" in particular seems to not trigger as often as it triggers.  Maybe that's just the one I notice because I've been robbed unjustly of glory far too often!

4 years ago

That runs as part of the nightly proc. Other things that would be affected: some trophies, game rankings, username

color, etc.

4 years ago

I suspect this is on a related note (as I try to find bugs for the elusive bug hunter trophy!) but the "Top Rated Storygames"--the top #100 rated games seems to be either very slow to update, or counting things in an unusual way.  For example, Chris's "Dark Nights" is 5.81, which is above quite a few on that list and ought to be a top #100 game, but shows up as #176 overall.  So either I'm missing something, or I can't figure out where that #176 comes from.

4 years ago
JJJ would have to explain how exactly it works, but he put in some kind of system that factors in the number of ratings as well. It's been a bit of an issue in why the Top 5 of all time are so immovable, but the solution as far as the yearly rankings is for more people to rate the stories. (Lowering the number of ratings needed for a ranking to 50 which he did recently will also even out some of wonkier results there...)

4 years ago
I am pretty sure that the number you see is not actually the number used for the ordering of the games. It might seem odd, but that's how it works. Instead, I believe it uses the "Adjusted Rating" for calculating the order. Where is that number? If you hover over the number for the "Player Rating" on a storygame, you should get a pop-up that shows you the adjusted rating. I think that rating is adjusted for weights for "more important" raters and even lower the weight for ratings of visitors.

4 years ago
"I'm pretty sure"
"I believe"
"I think"

Illustrating pretty well that no one actually knows. The way ratings and rankings work has always been a bit of a mystery.

4 years ago

It’s the same system that IMDB and RateYourMusic and many other rating driven websites use.

The premise is twofold: (1) as the number of ratings increases, the rating on the game better approximates the true rating, (2) as the number of ratings increases, the rating on the game will decrease.

(1) is true for obvious reasons. Consider a case of a story rated 8.0 with 1 rating, and a story rated 7.7 with 1000 ratings. Which one are you more confident about? Obviously the second story, even though the first story has a higher rating.

(2) is often true because as a game gets widespread attention, it’s likely being played by fans outside the genre and by a more diverse caste of people. In that case, it’s harder to maintain a high rating. While this is often true, (1) alone is sufficient to demonstrate the utility of the system.

At a certain (relatively low compared to Endmaster number of ratings) number of ratings, adjusted rating basically equals true rating. Go hover over some games with a lot of ratings and see how close those two numbers are. If the top games aren’t dislodged, it’s not a problem with the rating system, it’s a problem with the ratings.

Although, it would be an interesting thought experiment to also diminish the rating weight on older ratings, to account for the gradual increase in story quality.

one year ago

bug couldnt be replicated
code doesnt show any use of procs
does anyone have had any encounters with that bug recently?

one year ago
No

one year ago

i'd vote for closing that bug then 

one year ago

Every hour at XX:00 games will show up with no ratings due to being re-calculated. Dunno if it's the same thing as this.

one year ago
My clock doesn't have an XX on it