Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Uh, so...

@CheRC, @Thanatos_Erebus, @Ourobolus, @UneditedRequiem, @Furryfox6969, @weenis, @Ferany, @SicklyJaguar, @RTWolF, @mkawabata, @SWilliam, @theishiopian, @gcheng2, @HollowPotato

....what's the deal with you guys?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

What do you mean?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
I'm giving you an opportunity to explain you're not all the exact same very bored person, preferably in an entertaining way.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Oh, I promise we aren't. We're students in a gaming program, and we're writing stories on the site as part of an assignment for storytelling class. I promise by tomorrow most if not all of us will be gone, as thats the due date. 

I can see how this might be suspicious lol. 

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Hey, I don’t know everyone’s handle from our class, but for our Digital Storytelling class we were assigned to make a CYOA on this site.

So a bunch of those are probably them.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Also if you need a list of stories to rate poorly I’m sure I can provide a list of miscreants by tomorrow :)

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Send them with money. Corruption is encouraged here. Note that if the bribe is disappointing, we'll see that you're made an example.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Darn. Let me just increase my student loans...

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

I guess your teacher didn't get the memo...
http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=4296

It's possible to enable "sneak preview" so that your teacher can review your works without you publishing them.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Whoops. I’ll let him know tomorrow.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Thanks for the tip, that will be helpful.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Oh no, I want to harvest these points and/or make children cry.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Is that a request for more stories?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

If that's a hobby of yours, sure. But I guess she was just referring to the points you earn when you rate a game.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Lol, fair enough. If it apeases the story gods, I shall feed them with my story. Besides, it would be an excellent chance for critique!

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
At a glance these seem to mostly be of decent quality. You must all be either older or smarter than the last bunch.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

We're all in college, our program is bachelor level. So im not surprised that theres some stuff to like ;)

What do you mean "the last ones"?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Ok then you're probably around the average age of most of the users here, and if anybody leaves critical comments you should be able to take it, no need for your teacher to put them in Sneak peek then.

Every so often a classroom finds us and it usually ends in tears. For them. It was a bunch of seventh or eighth graders last time and it was a complete slaughter, plus they started attacking some random reviewer over private message en masse before they all got banned....somebody else might be able to dig up the thread, it was pretty funny.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Oh dear, that sounds dreadful. I promise you none of us are THAT immature. It sounds like a blood bath.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

You say that, but, uh, furryfox6969

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

True true. No idea who that is lol, any ideas?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
I unpublished mine and put it in Sneak Preview Mode - Sorry about that. I am a little sad that my story of a man’s house being filled with ducks will go unnoticed by the masses but I suppose that’s just life. :P

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

You can publish it if you want, it's just that it's not necessary to do so. Usually the classes are middle schoolers or high schoolers, hence the article. But if you want reviews from us you can publish it.

Also... a man's house filled with ducks... is that a reference to a video from a guy named James Veitch ?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Sounds like a terrible roommate to me

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Ahaha, no. But I guess in hindsight maybe? Maybe I was subconsciously influenced by Veitch and Untitled Goose Game.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Okay, yeah, class project was the guess, those kinds of games just don't usually pop up in the middle of the night. You guys were flooding the Discord with new storygame announcements lol.

Oh and be sure relentlessly shame whoever it was who named themselves Furryfox6969 for a class project, because I just checked and they're definitely on the same IP as most of the rest of you.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Heh, will do. We didnt know this was discord linked, We'll let the teacher know so we can avoid bothering you guys in the future.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
It's not a big deal, you guys have been cool so far. People were kind of going reeeeeee prematurely because we thought it was another batch of young kids at the time.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

When is the due date for these stories to go up?  Should we expect more incoming, or was that the last of them?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Originally it was today but apparently the professor extended it a...week? I did pass along the sneak preview info though. 

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
I saw that and already had that planned.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Also I guess while a bunch of new people are looking this thread, you should go and check out the IFComp if you like choice based text games and puzzles and such. It's a huge competition with 80+ games, all pretty high quality that I've seen so far. This is their 25th anniversary. There's a game called Skybreak! I helped beta test that a lot of us have been playing if you like sci fi pulp with light RPG elements, and it's in a CYOA style. (A lot of the others are the old school kind where you have to type commands and they're a bit more of a learning curve, but worthwhile)

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Ooh. Bookmarked.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Yes. Definitely read Skybreak. It’s super fun to play.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Because some peeps appear to be looking at this...newcomers, gaze upon the articles below!

Those mostly apply if you want to have your story 'published' on the site, which is great as you can get strangers feedback!

HOWEVER, the most IMPORTANT article for you all, which I strongly advise checking out, is this one:

There are rules for dialogue punctuation, but from what I gather, they are not really taught. Further, at least one story published by this cohort had incorrect dialogue punctuation. As such, if any of you care for writing (which you probably do, considering the course name), I'd advise trying to ensure you understand this properly. Heck, even if you don't care I'd still advise learning it.

Your teacher/tutor/etc could probably teach this, but I obviously know nothing about them and the course goals, but I'm pretty sure if you want good storytelling (through writing) you want correct punctuation (or at least to have mistakes be intentional).

Regardless, if I can spread this knowledge to multiple people with one post, I'd be pretty happy.

P.S. Here is an external site that has a good deal of examples: Editor's Blog: Punctuation in Dialogue

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Was one of you Hecht?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Who’s Hecht?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Somebody came into the Discord for a second and then left before I could get them out of Lar's secret basement.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Oh huh. Interesting

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
I think Camelon managed to comment on all of them? That's impressive.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

It’s much appreciated, definitely. Hopefully he enjoyed some more than he disliked, lol

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

I did skip Quiet Mountain since it already had a thorough review, and navigating around it was difficult. And I never found a third bin of fish for the first puzzle. (Why the character would see a bin of fish and think, 'hmm, I should lug this around with me...' is another mystery.) It's kind of a shame that the navigation on that one is wierd, as I like puzzle games and the thriller/paranormal plot looks like it would be interesting.

The duck one made me laugh, (especially the "will it blend?" line,) and I liked the story of the Lonely King. Cyber-Security Awareness month was informational.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
The third one was locked in the safe; that's what the numbers were for. I mean, where else would you keep it? Cod is expensive.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the mention of a safe. Finally found it.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

My new game may *seem* temporally like it's part of the noob swarm, but no.  It's just me.

My new game

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
I’ve started playing it, and I really like it so far. How do you keep turning out quality stories so quickly?

Noob Swarm

4 years ago

I...don't know.  It's mysterious to me.

Noob Swarm

4 years ago
Well I’m not complaining.