Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
No this isn't me running another contest. As good as the Lone Hero turnout was, thankfully, this one will NOT involve me being forced to read anything you all write. The Ectocomp is a just for fun comp for text games of all kinds. Entries are open only October 27th to October 31st, and the judging is open for the public to vote for a month after that. (The extra time due to pressures of the holidays and NaNoWriMo and so on I imagine.) What I find neat about it is that it's got a speed writing category called La Petite Mort for games written in four hours or less. That's enough time to write a simple CYOA of 2-3k, and I believe we'd have an edge over most people writing with traditional IF tools.
This year we want to propose five main themes to improve a more diversity of topics and ambiances. But, feel free to ignore those and send whatever you want. *Spooky adventure! That is, the common and loved usual ECTOCOMP games. Create a game destined to creep the hell out of players, or just go freestyle and just do whatever you want. *Halloween fest. Base your game on the Halloween festivities, overall the activity of wear costumes and going out with friends doing the "trick or treat". *Día de Los Muertos. Pay your tribute to the Mexican festivity. As Wikipedia says: "Day of the dead involves family and friends gathering to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and helping support their spiritual journey." Also, celebrate Mexican folklore and mythology. *All Saints', which commemorates the faithful departed. That is, an occasion to talk about how we miss the people we leave behind. *All Souls' Eve, at the same time, the evening of All souls' is a special moment for some European countries to gather the family around the fire, eat sweet wheat porridge, and tell scary tales.
They also accept submissions in Spanish, and they have English and Spanish discords set up if anyone wants to get more involved with the community there. Relevant rules:
*Games submitted for La Petite Mort should be written in 4 hours or less. *Any time spent planning, thinking, doodling, researching, etc does not count. *Any time spent writing words or code that end up in-game totally does count. (With the exception of if you wrote game engine or library code in the past and now you're using it.)
There's also Le Grand Guignol which is anything over four hours, so have at it if you're in the mood to tackle something bigger. I really like the more informal and fun aspect of the speed written one though. There is no limit to number of entries per author, and ideally I'd like to enter both a CYS story and a game written with ADRIFT (the IF making tool you might've seen me gushing about in the Skybreak thread...), but with the Ancient Ruins contest having the same deadline, we'll see. If you're going to enter, that's fantastic, I'm really happy, and also if you embarrass me in front of strangers I'll beat you where the bruises won't show and never try to take you out to do anything nice again. Real attempts at cool stories, not edgy troll games please.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
Oh, and you'll need register on itch.io for this, which you can do through the Ectocomp site so whatever. Since CYS games can't be hosted there, when you write the description for your entry you'll need to include a link obviously.

If you register now they have a simple little forum thing under the community tab where you can ask any other questions.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

I've registered and I have a rough idea for a story.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
How embarrassing for everyone else that the supagay unicorn lover was the first brave enough to step up.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

I have a story idea for the short writing prompt. I will see if I can put together something that is not shameful in four hours. We can write it here and put a link on the other site correct?

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
Yes, the organizer said to just put the link in the description in our case, since it's not possible to actually host them over there.

Glad you're in!

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

Thanks! I will put up a link when I have it mostly written...I am hoping to write most of it today.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
I'm really hoping the four hour limit will make people who have had trouble finishing a game realize it is possible to do something decent on a small scale if you go into it with that in mind. Sometimes working under strict limits can be kind of liberating.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
Just remember not to actually publish it here until the 27th.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

Oh, I didn't realize I had to publish it on the 27th, thank you for the heads up. Also I agree a deadline can make things move way faster. Hopefully it doesn't stress anyone out...That can be a thing as well.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

This will be my contest entry:

Day of the Dead--One Soul's All Souls Procession

I finished the first two pages which contain the background info and setup. I plan to make the pages shorter and for things to move more quickly from here. It will be rapid-fire choices with enough descriptions to keep you informed on what is happening until you reach an ending. There will be 7 unique ones unless I have extra time--in which case I will make dark paths where you get to help/become the bad guy.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

I finished my story (link in the message above). I am not sure what the rules are on proofreading are, but I probably will not since it took about four hours to write...

If anyone wants to read it preview is on. I will publish on the 27th and enter it on the other website. If I get busy that day it might be the day after...either way I hope you enjoy.

4534 words, 4 hours writing time, probably another 3-4 hours of "planning" time, done roughly 28 hours after starting in total time.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
Is it Spooky Fist time? I think it's Spooky Fist time.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

Do it!  This way I get to read it, thus making me a winner of this contest no matter what.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
It's Spooky Fist time.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

Not sure if I can spare four hours for this, but I am rooting for the CYStians that decide to participate! :D

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
Oh hi Crescent. I didn't even notice you posted, cool.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

Hi! ^_^

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
Just bumping this a reminder that they're open for entries now. Shadowdrake just published his game.

You've still got plenty of time to write one, you just need four hours between now and Halloween.

Be sure to make a blank game now if you think you even MIGHT enter, don't forget the 48 hour wait time between game creation and publishing it.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

Yeah my game was submitted feel free to check it out Day of the Dead--One Soul's All Souls Procession

I put it on the other site as well. You have to make a new game and just put the link in the description.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
William Dooling, the author of Skybreak has entered Ectocomp.

https://itch.io/jam/ectocomp-2019-english/rate/506286

I haven't played it yet but one thing I do know about him is that he can crank out content *fast* , so I'm sure it will be pretty good and bigger and better than any four hour game has any right to be. (I'd love to have been able to put him up in a speedwriting contest against Steve, back when Steve was still relevant...)

Anyway since he's in the Discord I'm going to count this as a victory for CYStia if he wins, regardless of whether he has an account here. But that doesn't mean the rest of is shouldn't move in as supporting troops, and who knows what will happen.

There's only been three games submitted so far. We really could turn this into another crushing victory for CYS, and it only takes four hours. I'm finishing my IS contest story today, and will write one Ectocomp today and one tomorrow.

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago
That have a convenient count down timer on their site for entering. 1 day and 22 hours remain. Still plenty of time for anyone who wants to do this....

Ectocomp 2019

4 years ago

Technically you could enter a game that is not released, if you turn on preview and put a good link to it on the other website.