Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
Well it's that time of year again. All the other writerly people on the internet are making a big show of writing fifty thousand words so I guess we should too. Sign up here and link your profile so we can all friend each other and whatnot, that will be the main purpose of this thread. Whether you're working on a storygame or an actual novel or some other project, writing is always a noble goal and in this case it's just proving to yourself you can manage your time wisely and get the words on the screen that matters more than anything else. There's no pressure to show others your work with this, and letting go of the 'perfectionist' claims everyone always uses as an excuse to do nothing is vital. (Meanwhile, I'm sure others of you are scoffing at the idea of writing ONLY 50k in a month as being anything to get excited about...) I know there's a lot of posturing and talking about writing that go hand in hand with this event every year, and talking about writing instead of doing it can be a dangerous habit to develop...ultimately if you participate, it should be for yourself and the benefits training yourself to write every day can bring. Of course, encouraging or competing with others (and with you lot I know it's more of the latter...) and comparing word counts and the like does work as motivation for many. The NaNoWriMo site's got a lot of other bells and whistles and various tools which may or may not be useful. As well as their own gigantic forum community full no doubt of unique flavors of cringe just waiting to be sampled and discovered, as in any place wannabe writers congregate. If you make any Writing Workshops threads about your projects, make sure to mention NaNoWriMo in the topic. Oh, and this is as good time as any to remind you all of the Best of 2019 contest, due on November 30th. Even if the whole intent of that was to reward stories written on their own throughout the year, there's still plenty of time if you needed an additional goal and wanted to start on something now.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
My profile. I'll be working on finishing my story that was supposed to be for the Battle in the Ruins contest and getting it moved over here. It's called Falling Stars, Wasteland Scars and the plot can most simply be summed up as 'post apoc Argonians in scrap metal tanks'. Don't get too excited, the final result will probably just be all the characters hanging around and talking about their feelings. I seem to really struggle to ever get around to including actual combat in any kind of conflict heavy setting I come up with, probably because I just find it uninteresting compared to everything else. Man, I like NaNoWriMo in theory but my God, November is the worst possible month they could have chosen... Anyway, happy writing.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/gloria_deum

Notoriously bad at this sort of thing. Neither god nor man can make me write if I don't do so of my own accord. I'll try to wrap up a few short stories that have been trailing me for months though. Oh, and my username is Gloria_Deum because bilbo was already taken (no surprise there).

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/thechef

Probably not going to go for the 50k thing, but I do want to work on a smaller storygame for the site.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/jacoder23

I expect nothing from myself and will still get disappointed.

Still, I'll be trying my best; even if I'm very much the opposite of a prolific writer.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

Gonna try and finish my 2019 entry for the contest with this...hopefully. I really don't want to let my topic of the IS contest to go to waste.

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/shoujoaddict

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
Oh boy, I sure do recognize that hideous, blinding white forum software they've got.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
First thread I click, and hoo boy, it's a winner:

In particular, the “stats” page is seriously de-motivational. I have been doing NaNo for 16 years (won the past 15), and even I am finding the stats page to be so discouraging I don’t know whether I really want to go on.

For one thing, there are really snarky messages in the boxes for which I have no or insufficient information. “Time is meaningless. Either that, or you haven’t logged when you write.” Please don’t nag me about things like that, especially since I have no way of entering the information that you’re taunting me about not entering. The “When I Write,” “Where I Write,” and “How I Feel” boxes don’t give me any way to fill in the information, so I really don’t like the snark. And I don’t even know that I want to share the information about “How I Feel” in the first place. What if it’s seriously personal? The snarkiness comes across like the bullies I had to deal with in 6th grade.

What a tragic life this person has led, being subjected to mildly sarcastic jokes by cruel bullies at the tender age of 12. They're paralyzed with anxiety now over the text boxes sick burns and can't write at all, gosh.

....seriously, is it the software? Does something about that forum software just attract helpless adult infants like moths to a blinding white and confusingly formatted flame?

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
Wow I can't believe Bilbo and Jacoder expected ME to friend THEM.

Anyway, added everyone so far.

And my reply that was like 'wow imagine being so easily demotivated' to the post I quoted was flagged after like five minutes lol.

We remain the last bastion of writers without tissue paper skin on the internet.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
bump

dunno why this isn't showing up in the index yet, it got moved hours ago.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

I expect to have a novel-length CYOA published here in the near future. I have 42,647 words finished, and I anticipate 60k + upon completion. This is not a NaNoWriMo project, though, as I began this project in September and have been working on it whenever I can steal some time. If it's not done by the end of November, then look for it in early December. My goal has been to complete 4 book-length CYOAs by spring 2020, and this is number 3 towards that goal.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
NaNo I really view more as a "people who don't usually write, get off your ass, let's do it together it'll be fun" kind of thing. It's of limited value to people who are already successfully cranking out novel length works.

Grass Planet already basically has the Best of 2019 contest in the bag, if you manage the November deadline it would be a hell of a flex to get a second one of that quality out too.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

I think knocking off 50,000 words in 30 days is ambitious for anyone who can't devote at least 5 days a week to the process; it averages out to 1667 words a day if you are able to write every day for 30 days straight. As someone who genuinely loves to write but still has to work for a living, I'm pretty sure I couldn't sustain that pace. So my hat is off to those that can pull it off and find the process helpful.

And I will say, one tip for being a productive writer is to avoid distractions as much as possible, especially social media... I've never done it, but there are "writing retreats" available where professional writers and freelancers can gather and go "offline" for a few days. The ones in my area are usually conducted in secluded locations.

As for Grass Planet, I'd still be flattered if, maybe, it got up to 20 reads by the end of the year. I would rather win because people read the story and thought it was good, and not just because they were impressed (intimidated?) by the word count.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
The whole org seems to be directed towards a younger crowd. The word count would be a lot easier to achieve without working full time or having any responsibility whatsoever. The site has a ton of plot outlining and character development workbooks to complete before too. Ideally the writer could have everything planned out beforehand and use the month just for writing it all out. Since I started a bit late, I'm including my outlining and world-building as part of the word count. Sue me.

A writing retreat with other people would be interesting. If it's not a front for a secret orgy, I see how it could be really productive. My vacation a couple weeks ago was basically a writer's retreat. Spent the majority of the week in a hotel room with my laptop, booze, and coffee. It was nice not to get distracted by my other monitor, housemate, or loud neighbors.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
'The whole org seems to be directed towards people who have no jobs and no lives', might be more accurate. Except it's more like that's just what it's attracted the most of over the years--kids and NEETS . It used to be different. Yes the 50k mark was challenging as hell for people with jobs, families etc by design, but that was the expected norm back when the concept of 'normal people' still existed. Everyone I know who did it treated it like a kind of boot camp for writers. Now it's apparently a hug fest for the differently abled.

But this event is like 20 years old, and the internet has changed. Unfortunately these days if you aren't vigilant in weeding out the weak, this is what most writing communities will become.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

Well, I am not officially doing Nanowrimo but after files erased and all that I am near 4,000 that is a bad rhythm but at least it is a rhythm. I hope at least reach 20,000 or so, that will be on the line with my idea of creating a small game outline and then in December trying to pass it to a game here with code for it.  

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
I went ahead and swapped it out for Giri Minor on the feature list for a bit. I know it's a series but, I don't think having read the first one is strictly necessary for a newbie, and Grass Planet a far more impressive story. And yes I know I need to sit down and hunt down any paths I missed and review it soon, that's been on my to do list for an embarassingly long time.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

Awesome, thanks.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

Here's my account I don't think it would hurt for me to join. Davetator. Before I start my project, should I use the same one I'm working on currently or start a new story and pump out 3.5k words a day? 

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
It's really up to you. Meeting your word count goal is the only thing that matters, it's all just a personal challenge.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
This seems like a good excuse to actually write. Profile's here.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

Here's me. No idea if I'll start something new, count my cumulative word count on all projects, or just keep up my four year streak of zero words.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

I won't participate as after lost my files I just don't feel like it.   Probably I am totally tired after the effort  I did for The Gower contest. Maybe I should Edit and add all That story all that I couldn't because of time constraints to polishing it as of course, it is not ended yet.

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
You just did 50k two months in a row anyway, writing consistently and a lot is obviously not a problem for you so doing NaNo is of pretty limited value to you anyway.

NaNoWriMo is broken y'all

4 years ago
Is it me or is this site just broken on mobile? (Well I know it's not just me, there's a thread with like 2000 posts bitching about the new layout...) But even after asking for help I genuinely can't figure out how to update my word count, which is the most basic thing. It's just clicking a button when on my computer but the button is just straight up not there on mobile and so I'm left scrolling uselessly through menus. e: Is it me or is the site broken completely? The main thing I would've used it for was a convenient way for us all to store and compare word counts, but I plugged mine in and it's not even updating. Meanwhile I see people claiming to have written hundreds of thousands or millions...? This month?

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

I can't even get it to work on PC, much less on mobile.  I tried creating a project and it disappeared upon a refresh, then repeated the process multiple times with no luck whatsoever.  The only things that work properly (unsurprisingly) is the forum and the donation/buy shit pages.  

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

It's broken for me. I can't click on anybody's account at all!!!

And to add you as a friend, I had to refresh my page 2 times after reopening it an hour later.

Also, it refuses to save my projects every time I refresh the page like TheChef said, which is very confusing to me.

4 years ago
I haven't had any trouble friending anyone, but that does seem to be one of the complaints people have had; not only is it broken, it's not even broken in consistent ways.

Heh, they've raised $700,000 in donations this year I'm sure a lot of people are wishing they could take back.

Well damn idk what to do with this thread now. The only use of that site now seems to be in being entertained by the bizarre things that grow in the petri dish when you cram a bunch of self proclaimed "writers" into a Discourse forum together.

I guess we can all just track our progress here in normal motivation threads. The WW has been sadly neglected as of late so more activity would be nice.

4 years ago
The site has been working fine for me. The only real issue I've had is updating the cover plate photo. Never tried it on mobile though. The badges are cool small motivational tools despite the fact they scream "participation trophy." Besides that, there's not much reason to go on the site. Final word count can be updated at the deadline and you're using your own writing software anyway. As much fun as it would be to watch mizal trigger the NaNoWriMo community on the forums, I probably won't end up logging in regularly, although I sill hope to reach the 50k word count this month. The nice thing is you can string together any shitty draft and have it count. Kind of takes away the editing-as-I-go approach, which tends to slow my writing down.

4 years ago

Here's to hoping one of us can type a word and it'll count it as a million...then they'll be all set forever!

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago

My profile.

I don't think the forums there are going to be that great this month, so I'll probably hang here more than there. (Warrior Cats as an example of good naming conventions, long debates about whether making a character trans or gay is lazy or representation, calls for sensitivity readers, melodrama - just what has happened over there?)

NaNoWriMo

4 years ago
CoG is spreading.