Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hey all. Any suggestions for a new member?

4 years ago

Nice to be here. Reminds me of old school, post by post RP on forums hosted by sites like Proboards. Good old days.

I have a very basic idea of how this all works. I played through Eternal twice, and I'm making my way through some other super awesome stories. 

As far as putting together a story of my own, I guess I'd like some general advice or suggested reads about how to go about getting started? 

Thanks for taking the time to check this post out, for an old RP nerd like me.

4 years ago

I really recommend you read the articles about writing in the Help section to receive a good idea of what exactly expect and advices. I want to give one as well, Think about if you are really ready to go and publishing something. I didn't think about it enough back then, to find out that I wasn't

4 years ago
Eternal was an excellent choice. I'd recommend reading anything and everything else by EndMaster (author of Eternal), of course. Read through every choice in his stories too always. It's all different and well worth it.
Other works that are pretty great include Private Game for Natalie, Ducky Park, Bestist Friend Jane, The Bard's Tale, and Marooned on Giri Minor.

4 years ago
Any of the featured stories are a good place to start as far as reading goes, and after that you can browse by highest rating, it just all depends on what genres you're most interested in. We've gotten quite a few really strong new stories this year.

Now as to writing, there's a lot of advice I could give, but you need a character, setting, and a few ideas you're into enough to be able to follow through with, above anything else. We always recommend starting with a smaller scale story until you the hang of the editor and the way a CYOA style story structure can start to sprawl around and get away from you, but the only thing that's going to matter either way is if you can stick with a project without getting burned out or lazy.

Feel free to make a thread on the Writing Workshop board if you want to bounce any ideas around or have specific questions or writing excerpts you want to share.

Enjoy the site, and good luck!

4 years ago

These were all extremely useful, I appreciate what you've shared.

4 years ago
Welcome to the site!

4 years ago
Interesting avatar. Velcoman